911 dispatchers, officers, and fireman

Options
Hello everyone my name is Amanda I have worked as a 911 dispatcher for a little over 5 years. I love my job I love being able to help people. Since I have started this job I have put on an additional 100 pounds. So if there are any people that are in this line of work that want to be friends just send me a friends request. Our job is very stressful. I have approximately 100 guys to take care of.

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly in the field, but I cover what your guys and gals do. I'm a crime and public safety reporter and I can tell you that I put on about 30 lbs since starting this job, too.

I agree your job is very stressful. I see it from a second-hand basis and it stresses me out sometimes.

I will hit you up!
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    I am a 911 dispatcher as well. I have been doing it for about 3 years now. I put on about 40lbs since working there. I work for a small agency so not responsible for so many guys and gals but I understand where you are coming from. GOod Luck
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not that field reallt, I'm a LPN. Welcome to the MFP website. It is a awesome site, lots of motivation and inspiring messages. Its been a blessing for me. Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started as a dispatcher (for a much smaller service!) and I've been thinking about how easy it must be to gain weight doing this job. 12 hour shifts really leave you with very little time to do anything but sleep, eat and get ready for the next shift so exercise on those days is out... And nights sure don't leave many healthy options for snacks if you're not completely prepared!

I have a friend who is motivated enough to go to the gym before she goes home from a night shift, I totally applaud her on her dedication but I don't think that'll ever be me. Sleep is way too important!

Good luck, keep me posted on any tips or tricks you learn!
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as well. It is hard to get up and workout. Since I only work 3-4 days a week I only work out every other day when I work that way I know the next day I can get some sleep. Packing my lunch plus snacks has helped as well (if I can keep the officers out of them LOL)!!
  • adamsojh
    adamsojh Posts: 11
    Options
    Yep, Same here. Been working 911/dispatch for 4 years now and gained around 30lbs. Dang desk job and junk food takes it's toll. Ive also read several things that say after a stressful event (or several) and the adrenaline pump dies down you have more colesterol pumping in your blood. Which builds up over time.
  • adamsojh
    adamsojh Posts: 11
    Options
    Yep, Same here. Been working 911/dispatch for 4 years now and gained around 30lbs. Dang desk job and junk food takes it's toll. Ive also read several things that say after a stressful event (or several) and the adrenaline pump dies down you have more colesterol pumping in your blood. Which builds up over time.
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    I too am a 911 dispatcher. Have been for 6 yrs. I gained the dispatch 50, but then lost it about 2 yrs ago.
    Low and behold I became pregnant, and am having a hard time getting rid of baby weight....
    So I am trying to get rid of 20 lbs, balance work/home/life....and the 12 hrs shifts are helping!!!!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Where have you been Ms. Hottie???? You already know my story, just hang in there girl, it's gonna take time! But that's all we do in our Center is eat, hell they have a party for everything, good foot pursuits, Code Blue that we saved, 10 car accident that kept us busy all shift, hell one time we had a party for somebody that bought cute new shoe!!! A list goes around to bring in something to eat daily and it is not easy!!!!
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    OOPs!!! :flowerforyou: Must admit i was just one of those silly party starters!! Hehe...wanted to celebrate Friday the 13th of all things!!! So I made breakfast for everyone...
    Just made some french toast, scrambled eggs and sliced peaches...but I could have either not done it..or made it healthier. Good thing for me everyone is health conscious here, so portion sizes are not a question.....but your party comment made me think.....

I MAY BE A SABATEUOR!!!!! :tongue:
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm an LEO and I found it hard to stay in shape, too, especially when I work consecutive 16 hr days. This summer, I decided to sacrifice 1/2 hour of sleep and exercise first thing in the morning. I know it sounds rough (I LOVE my sleep), but it's made all the difference in the world. Even during the day, I feel I have more energy. So far, so good. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.