high protein + low carb = high fat?

Options
I started focusing on reducing my carbs to under 80gs a day. I only have been doing this since sunday and so far I have been successful and I feel great. I shouls also mention, I consume between 100-120g of protein daily. My concern is that I seem to be going over my fat goal, but Im always under my net calorie goal for the day. Will this stall my weight loss? Im concerned that high fat will make me fat, but with the carb reduction I dont know how to balance it.

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat.

You should be just fine. If you're doing low-carb the other calories have got to come from somewhere, right? And they can't all come from protein (though it's great that your protein intake is so high). Personally I looove fats and go over my fat goal all the time. Hasn't been an issue for me!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    With low carb, you're going to have to have higher fat and protein intake. High fat will have no effect on your weight loss, only overall calories will. Any low carb/keto/paleo/whatever diet will generally have very very high fat intake. It's completely normal.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    A lot of low-carb plans are also high fat. Too much protein without enough fat can spike insulin. I aim for 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carb in a day.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    So my week so far is 25% carbs, 30% protein and 45% fat.

Thats a good balance?

I was aiming for 30/40/30, but I wanted to see if lowering my carbs would make a difference since my weight loss has stalled the past month.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    So my week so far is 25% carbs, 30% protein and 45% fat.

Thats a good balance?

I was aiming for 30/40/30, but I wanted to see if lowering my carbs would make a difference since my weight loss has stalled the past month.

If you lower your carbs, I'd recommend raising your percentage in fat, rather than protein. Not by a huge amount, but some.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Sounds fine to me. Overall calories is what's going to really matter the most, unless you have insulin resistance or diabetes or something. The main benefit to high fat/high protein diets, IMO, is the satiety you get from all that fat and protein. Much harder to overeat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Your over MFP's protein goal and under on carbs.........which means fat is going to take up that calorie deficit. It's normal when someone designs their macros the way you did.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Ok thanks!

I get the majority of fat from nuts, seeds and meat.

So does this mean I can indulge on "fatty foods" Ive been skipping like cheese, gravy and ice cream?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    cheese is fine, watch out for sugars in ice cream.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Ok thanks!

So does this mean I can indulge on "fatty foods" Ive been skipping like cheese, gravy and ice cream?

Ice cream is a proven weight loss supplement.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    ice cream would have lots of carbs.... so watch that.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

You should be just fine. If you're doing low-carb the other calories have got to come from somewhere, right? And they can't all come from protein (though it's great that your protein intake is so high). Personally I looove fats and go over my fat goal all the time. Hasn't been an issue for me!

This is true for me too.. Fat is a great source of energy. I love my avocados and that always puts me over if I have half n half inmy coffee. But I try to eat lots of protein and more fat then carbs. I have energy, my hair is healthier, my skin glows. And despite all the myths...I'm not getting fatter.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    icecream... weighloss supplement? how?
    Icecream is my favourite food on earth, if you can prove this to me I will run 3 miles in pure excitement. (even if it's just moderation)
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!

Icecream is my favourite food on earth, if you can prove this to me I will run 3 miles in pure excitement. (even if it's just moderation)
  • WtheFourth
    WtheFourth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a ketogenic diet at my doctor's behest, so I'm usually around 65-70% fat, 30-35% protein, and 0-5% carbs. I've lost about 24 pounds in the last 6 weeks doing it. In other words, you'll be fine. Maintain a caloric deficit and it's all good.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Ok thanks!

Look at these results, they cannot be disputed! http://www.myfitnesspal.com//Sarauk2sf
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Me too! And it has been very effective for my weight loss.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat all the cheese! When I dropped my carbs a little recently I had to add some cheese snacks throughout the day to meet my fat and protein!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    80 grams of carbs is 320 calories, and 120 grams of protein is 480 which is 800 calories summed up if fat intake is low to none. At least take some fish oil capsules ( about 3 grams of fat) or flax seed oil (130 calories per tablespoon).

Are you undereating? If so, your metabolism may have slowed down on you.

You should also take skin caliper measurements along with weighing yourself to see if you are in fact gaining fat or just feel fat. Be a little scientific about it.

Muscle size will also decrease on a low carb diet because muscles hold a lot of water in their their glycogen stores, so you may feel fatter as a result, such as feeling that you're swimming in fat. You could try a high carb day (45 to 50% of calories from carbs) once a week to balance the low glycogen symptoms.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    MFP has the fat goal set WAY TOO LOW and the carb goal set way too high. High fat, moderate protein, and low carb is a VERY healthy way to eat. You can change your macro goals.

I eat 75-80% calories from fat and I do it for health reasons; however, not everyone needs to go that far. But, I think 60% calories from fat is a bare minimum, for everyone. Do not fear healthy fat (but do fear refined oils such as canola and soy).