Couch to 5k?!

Options
Is anyone out there on MFP doing couch to 5k?!

Replies

• courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not currently, but I completed it last year. It's an awesome program and SO great to help you get into running. There's a few different C25K groups out there (search groups!) That are great with helping people/there's usually a lot of people doing it!
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im on week 7, add me as a friend and i'll help ya through it ;) its great fun!!
  • whinny87
    whinny87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive just started week one this week... attempted it once before but wasnt really into it. I cant wait to see if it works, never been a runner in my life
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5. I will start week 6 tomorrow.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Yep. Will be starting the 7th week today.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of us - and plenty of groups on here.

I'm on week 4 of zombie 5k training
  • mutley1971
    mutley1971 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    got to week 5 last year, restarted and on week 2 now :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I started it back in September. I had a little set back in November, when I pushed it too hard and had an injury. I think it is a great program, I thought running 3 min. = death back then. Now I can run 6 miles on a good day. Maybe I'll try for 6.5 soon...
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I only did two weeks on it, had to stop because of knee issues. I saw a marked improvement in my endurance. I'm going to pick it up again when I can afford to get some good running shoes and/or lose some more weight so it won't be as much as shock to my knees.it's too bad I really was enjoying it.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 though I repeated week two and three once each as they were tough for me. Week four was fine though oddly enough :)
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish up week 5 on my last day today,but I was wondering on if anyone had any tips for switching from indoor to outdoor running! I can always run the allotted time on the app; however once I get outside. Not happening.
  • darleg
    darleg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K and am just finishing week 5 as well. Given I was never a runner I was very surprised that I was able to get through the 20 minute run. I have run a few times outside with my trainer but find it much different and a lot harder. I think it is because you are not running at a steady pace as you are on the treadmill. The second time outside I tried running a little slower to start and that seemed to be a little better. Looking forward to conquering week 6.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish up week 5 on my last day today,but I was wondering on if anyone had any tips for switching from indoor to outdoor running! I can always run the allotted time on the app; however once I get outside. Not happening.

Seriously, this sounds so stupid, but I find when I have time goals (I still mostly do run/walk intervals), it's often mental. I slacked off from running for a long while, barely ran at all...then when I signed up for my first 10k for this saturday I figured I'd better get some mileage in this week. Tuesday I ran/walked (mostly walked) 4 miles....but couldnt bring myself to run for more than a minute and a half. Yesterday I did 4 miles again....for the first part of my run I couldn't bring myself to more than that again. I was just planning a short run, and then I just made up my mind to make it for 5 minutes no matter how painful. When I made it to 5, I figured to do 10, which turned into 20, which made me think...why not 30? Then it turned into....why not finish your route? ...when I got to my house at about 40:30, my ocd turned it into..you should really do 45. So I ran for 45 minutes straight without stopping. The most I've ever done before that was the 30 minute straight at the end of c25k....and since then the most was probably 10 minutes straight. So what changed? My mind did. I'm one of those people that gets pain EVERYWHERE when I run...but I've found (especially yesterday) that before I stopped, I made myself take a few deep breaths, slow down and ask myself where it hurt...was it actually my legs? was it my chest aching for breath/a slow down? or was it my mind? Almost the entire time it was my mind trying to convince me to stop. Your body can do it...often times its your mind sabotaging you..especially when you're out in the open like that and feel like you're a mockery to runners (My feelings not necessarily yours!!!) Another thing I had a hard time switching to when I went from the treadmill to outdoors was that on the treadmill I had my pace adjusted, a clear path, and could just try to zone out while waiting for the run time to end. It's harder to do that outside...you have to worry about how the sidewalk or trail is...is anything in your way? are people coming? Are there cars when you're trying to cross the street? And most importantly, you have to pace yourself. The key is to go slow. I've read that you're supposed to do you c25k time so that you could carry on a conversation while running. It's meant to get your legs used to running that time, and even if you go slow, the key is to finish the time. That's been my experience when trying to finish a certain amount of time...if i slow down, take a deep breath and just relaxx i'll be able to do the time alot easier than when I'm tense and breathing super heavily and just pushing it. Also, there's an incline difference...you're constantly changing outside where you're (probably) flat indoors. I've read that setting a 1 incline on the treadmill helps get you used to outside, but i have no idea if that's true or not. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Run for the distance, not the time, or run for the time, not the distance. Your pace will improve with practice. Outside, the pavement has so many different levels that your body needs time to adjust. If you feel winded, just slow down, but keep moving.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1D2. It's fun, but I wish I could go faster. (I know that will come with time and more weight loss.) I'm pretty thrilled I can run for a minute without stopping with breaks in between. Last year, I could hardly get out of the recliner, and walking across the apartment made me tired.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've started it a few times. I really like it, but about week 4 is when I start having troubles with my knee, so I don't usually get past week 4.

Search for free apps that will will play your music and still cue you when to walk and when to run.
  • mdnash81
    mdnash81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1D2. So far so good. Some muscle soreness in my upper legs but no real pain. I have good shoes so hope that helps! It's pretty fun actually (surprised)!
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you decide to start it. I have it on my phone but haven't started it yet. I'd love to start on the same day as someone else!!
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Im on week 7, add me as a friend and i'll help ya through it ;) its great fun!!

I'm on week 7 as well!
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5, and am staring at a scary run on Monday - 20 minutes nonstop. But honestly, it is such a cool program - times that seemed far out of reach at the beginning have now become routine. Give it a try, and see what you think - you might surprise yourself!