How do I change my diet so its a low cholestrol diet?

Options
I'm on a low cholesterol diet starting today told by my NP (nurse practitioner). How do I change in my settings that I want a low cholesterol diet?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Exercise -> Settings
    This will allow you to add new macros to track. You can add cholesterol and set your limits for that metric.
  • Irisballoon
    Irisballoon Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I added chol. to my tracking in my food, though is it based off a low chol. diet?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you do realize cholesterol only affects 15% of your total cholesterol?
  • xfilme
    xfilme Posts: 21
    Options
    Make sure you only reduce bad cholesterol, as my dad lowered all cholesterol and ended up with high cholesterol.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    also most items in the database wont have cholesterol added to them.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: Starting on mine also ... with help from dietician next week ... Good luck ! :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar and refined carbs lowers cholesterol the most.....so don't forget to eat lots of those.:smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I lowered my bad cholesterol 60 points by cutting out meat.

I have since seen studies and research that eating organic grass fed and free range meat is better than eating the fake meat products and processed and refined foods. I have not had my cholesterol tested since eating this way though, my Dr appt is in October.

My dad had a heart attack last Saturday. I am now posting lots of heart healthy tips and recipes on my healthy cooking facebook page, The Sassy Gourmet if you are interested in checking it out.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I have since seen studies and research that eating organic grass fed and free range meat is better than eating the fake meat products and processed and refined foods. I have not had my cholesterol tested since eating this way though, my Dr appt is in October.

My dad had a heart attack last Saturday. I am now posting lots of heart healthy tips and recipes on my healthy cooking facebook page, The Sassy Gourmet if you are interested in checking it out.

there is also more evidence that cholesterol doesnt play a role like everyone thinks it does
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I'm sorry for your dad :(

But I agree with the others, cutting cholesterol isn't necessarily the answer. Exercising helps too.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can monitor how much cholesterol you take in your diet by changing your goals. I changed mine to 200 mg max, but I rarely get close to that following a pescetarian diet.

You can help lower your cholesterol by consuming soluble fiber (dried fruits, oats, beans), which slows the reabsorption of bile in your GI tract and causes you to excrete it instead of reabsorbing it. Because of this, your liver is forced to make new bile, which it uses cholesterol to do. The other helpful dietary change is to consume more omega 3's via fish (not shellfish) or fortified foods or fish oil supplements. Omega 3's raise your HDL (good cholesterol), which helps your body rid itself of LDL (bad cholesterol).

The best thing you can do is move your body. Exercise increases the body's production of enzymes that help break down triglycerides, which will raise your HDL. Increased HDL lowers your LDL because HDL returns LDL back to your liver to be broken down and recycled.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You can monitor how much cholesterol you take in your diet by changing your goals. I changed mine to 200 mg max, but I rarely get close to that following a pescetarian diet.

You can help lower your cholesterol by consuming soluble fiber (dried fruits, oats, beans), which slows the reabsorption of bile in your GI tract and causes you to excrete it instead of reabsorbing it. Because of this, your liver is forced to make new bile, which it uses cholesterol to do. The other helpful dietary change is to consume more omega 3's via fish (not shellfish) or fortified foods or fish oil supplements. Omega 3's raise your HDL (good cholesterol), which helps your body rid itself of LDL (bad cholesterol).

The best thing you can do is move your body. Exercise increases the body's production of enzymes that help break down triglycerides, which will raise your HDL. Increased HDL lowers your LDL because HDL returns LDL back to your liver to be broken down and recycled.

I am Lesa Sass and I approve this message. :flowerforyou:
  • Irisballoon
    Irisballoon Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helps! :)