Bowel Movement Help

Options
Hi there!
I have been increasing my water intake, roughly 13 glasses a day and I have been having about 25 grams of fiber per day. I am not necessarily constipated (sorry, TMI) but I have not been regular either. I have been drinking two cups of coffee per day, also.

I am not sure what to do to make me more regular! I am also eating roughly 60 grams of protein per day. I hope this helps... :)

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    when I drink water it comes out of a different orifice, but apparently "we're all different" LOL.

but seriously, bacteria are a big part of your output so some pre or probiotic foods or things that ferment late in the system are as good as anything.

If your fibre is from veg it has a different effect to that from wheat bran etc - insoluble vs soluble fibre.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Since I got serious about eating healthier I have had more problems in this area... I bought fiber with probiotic supplements (which really haven't helped). You can try Miralax which is healthy and won't create dependency (used that in the past too). I felt this problem became worse for me when I increased my protein- maybe watch your protein intake and see if you see a correlation?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat? (Your diary is closed)
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I tend to sound like a broken record often when talking about constipation but I am never regular unless I drink chlorophyll and chia seeds coupled with exercise. I have off days that throw my regularities off so then I eat 10-12 prunes or have 2 tbsp milk of mag to get back on track ( prefer not use milk of mag unless its absolutely necessary) also elevate my legs whole going. I have tried fiber supplements but prefer a more natural approach so chia and chlorophyll it is for me. Hope u solve your issue cause u don't wanna be full of it.

Oh sometimes eating a little pack of raspberries, blueberries or blackberries helps too.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I find chia seeds helps.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Since having more protein and cutting out carbs, I've had the same problem, I also swear by Chia seeds.

GG
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've noticed problems with my digestive system strangely enough since i started loosing weight more, for a while there i was thinking perhaps i just wasn't getting enough but i have been cutting gradually, i guess it is largely down to the type of foods you eat, i have significantly more protein in my diet and it could be this, also need to get more probiotics into me
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    watermelon helps me poop
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Spinach, apples (or unsweetened apple sauce) and tbs of ground flax seed daily.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Bowel movements are closely tied to metabolism. Speed your metabolism up and they become more frequent and regular.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat? (Your diary is closed)

This.

I see a nutritionist and he said the cause of my 'irregularity" was not enough fat in my diet - so I am now eating a lot more meat and switched to full fat dairy - if you eat a lot of fibre and a low-fat diet you can actually gum yourself up.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have had some problems since upping the protein and the fiber. Too much can cause constipation too. I have found that if i take 500 milligrams of magnesium every day ( good for nerve and muscle health) i am as regular as can be now.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have had this prob a bit in the past, and I find that apples with the skin still on really helps. Also oats can help. And exercise.
  • ThimbleSizedPerfection
    Options
    Hi there Fabulous_Fit!

I have a rare bowel disorder called EGE (eosinophilic gastroenteritis). Basically it is different in every person but in me I don't have the right amount of white blood cells in my GI tract. So since birth I have dealt with constipation, I was three weeks old before I even had my first bowel movement. I'm not going to give you the advice for what I do now (because I do unhealthy things now), but before I got into unhealthy behaviors (that I'm trying to quit) I drank more coffee (I know they tell you NOT to, but coffee is a natural laxative), green and herbal tea, didn't bulk up on too much fiber, and once a week I would sit down in front of the tv with the heating pad on my stomach (it's a gross thought, but it WORKS)! It did wonders for me!

Hope this helps,
    Madison
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have had some problems since upping the protein and the fiber. Too much can cause constipation too. I have found that if i take 500 milligrams of magnesium every day ( good for nerve and muscle health) i am as regular as can be now.

Good point, as most people are deficient in magnesium and if so, magnesium supplementation can raise metabolism.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    do you walk/run enough? walking & running stimulate the bowel muscles.

everyone checks diet but people often forget exercise.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    so you're not constipated, just going less "than usual"?

Maybe you don't need to go more. your body may be adjusting to a new diet/water intake/exercise.

what has helped me (not all at once :laugh: ):
    *coffee first thing in the morning (even if you don't have time- make a pot the night before and drink it cold).
    *oatmeal - mixture of rolled oats, quick oats and oat bran. mix 3 tablespoons with yogurt or boiling water or milk or juice.
    *vegetables, fruit, a little bit of dried fruit (figs, prunes)
    * lots of water.
    *hard boiled eggs
    *exercise (anything that gets you moving - running, walking, etc)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    3 words

Cayenne pepper capsules

but be warned...EAT after taking..... or you will suffer..and I'm not talking from burning when going to the loo...I'm talking the moment the capsules 'burst' and then you will feel sick, hurt in the gut like never before, and really almost pass out.

Eat after taking ( banana you saved my life) and you will only feel mild tingling & nothing more. Yet it WILL be enough to get things moving inside, with the added bonus of sweating a bit more.

100,000 each capsule has on the scoville scale....or you can get 40,000 ones. They will.....WILL hurt if you dont eat. I had to be rescued by son & hubby cause I forgot to eat after it & went walking. I was in tears from almost passing out, cramping up & feeling like I was having a heart attack.

Put all that aside & they are BRILLIANT for constipation. Better than laxatives (you cant take them ALL the time)
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    smoke a cigarette.
  • OgahpahBear
    Options
    I find Kombucha and Chia seeds to help a lot. You can also try eating more fresh fruits. The juice in the fruit will help to hydrate your body and keep the mucus in your gut flowing well.