2 pounds overnight??!!??

Options
I cheated a little yesterday but I didn't go over 3,000'calories!!! I'm right back up to 133 pounds and i was doing so well!! ;( how did I gain 2 pounds overnight? Will it take long to lose again?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing its water weight. Did you anything really salty? Or even sugary, sometimes that makes me gain overnight. Drink plenty of water and it will go back down.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Think about this: A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So unless you ate7,000 calories over your maintinence level, you did NOT gain 2lb of fat. It's most probably water weight caused by higher sodium. You should lose it in a day or two.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I've gained and lost over 4lbs over night. It's a weight fluctuation is all.

Best thing to do is ignore the scale for a few weeks. Scales aren't an accurate way of charting our fat loss as they everything from your brain to what's in your bladder.

Ignore it for a while and keep going as you are.
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your weight was just fluctuating, and who knows if you weigh yourself every day you might be down five pounds tomorrow since you went up three today and that might be accurate. Since my weight fluctuates I weigh myself everyday, but only really track my weight once a week. In the past I have freaked out over the same thing, but now I try to remind myself that if I did everything I should of than it is probably just fluctuating. Sorry for such the long response, but I hope this might have helped a bit.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Think about this: A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So unless you ate7,000 calories over your maintinence level, you did NOT gain 2lb of fat.

You still wouldn't gain 2lbs of fat even if you did eat 7000cals over your maintenance. It takes time and consistent over-eating.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why were you weighing yourself in the evening and then the following morning? That's a sure way to drive yourself mad with paranoia
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Odds are it's just a normal, daily weight fluctuation. If you haven't consumed 7,000 extra calories (1lb fat is 3,500 calories), you're going to be OK. Perhaps you had something with a little more sodium than you're used to eating... That could cause some water retention.

Don't get too bent out of shape over what the scale reads every single day, it's not consistent as our bodies can fluctuate up to 5 lbs day-to-day. Yes, that's right... 5 pounds. Keep doing what you're doing, you'll see that weight and more drop off over time.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Daily even hourly fluctuations depend on so much more than just how many calories you consume.

I would suggest weighing less frequently until you can handle the daily fluctuations mentally aka laugh at them or until you lose your dependency on some arbitrary number.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you just need to poop
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Please don't weigh every day.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Think about this: A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So unless you ate7,000 calories over your maintinence level, you did NOT gain 2lb of fat. It's most probably water weight caused by higher sodium. You should lose it in a day or two.

^^This.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was eating like a pig for 2 weeks since my birthday, I went up 8lbs. I have lost 6lbs this week alone since I smartened up and got back on track. Its not fat gain.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I gain 4lb after a Chinese and 2cm on my waist! Takes a week for me to lose it again, but other foods don't affect weight and measurements like a Chinese! Yours could be water weight as I gain during TOM and ovulation but goes straight away after plus a little more.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, get back on your program. Sometimes it's all about what is in your system, or if you worked out or ran a lot how much fluid you are retaining. Sometimes it's a food allergy. Just keep logging and sticking to your nutrition plan.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about weighing every day, its just plain bad for us.

Just for giggles I weigh myself after a night of sushi, I typically gain 4 lbs due to all the sodium in the soy sauce. It goes away fast.

Just drink lots of water.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. I weigh daily and have found certain foods (salty and high carbs - takes more water to process carbs so you retain more) really affect the scale and may take a few days to reflect it the loss again. By weighing daily I can see the overall trend but I don't freak out over the scale, I use it as a tool/guide not as the absolute truth. I've even weighed multiple times a day just to prove to others how much your weight can change just in a matter of hours. Usually Fridays are my low weight days (i eat better during the week) and Mondays are high (too much salt/carbs over weekend).
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about weighing every day, its just plain bad for us.

Just for giggles I weigh myself after a night of sushi, I typically gain 4 lbs due to all the sodium in the soy sauce. It goes away fast.

Just drink lots of water.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets a kick out of how much my food baby belly weighs :)