Plateaus!

Options
Just a ray of hope for those like myself who keep having plateaus where for a week or two nothing happens despite sticking to the plan, weighing everything.
Even though I am at the start of my journey and have a lot to lose, these come along regularly for me - about every 3-4 weeks.
I have discovered that its down to me forgetting to drink enough water, - sometimes it can be only a couple of glasses of fluid a day.
Once I up my intake the weight drops. Normal pattern for me is up to 10 days - nothing. I up my water and then drop between 4-6lbs.
I don't do it on purpose, I am so busy that I forget to drink as much as I should.
Although the tracker doesn't show it - I have hit my 3st (42lbs) target this morning - only been on this site since April.
Its taking time and when I'm on a plateau I get depressed and disheartened, but I stick to it and the rewards do come.

Replies

• BSwizzle97
    BSwizzle97 Posts: 19
    Options
    Plateaus are horrible! I've not lost anything for over a month :frown: and nothing is changing that, although like you I don't drink nearly as much water as I should :huh:
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been losing and gaining the same 4-5 lbs for the past almost 3 months.. it is really frustrating!
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been losing and gaining the same 4-5 lbs for the past almost 3 months.. it is really frustrating!

This!!! Me too, but hey, look at it as temporary maintenance! At least you aren't gaining! :happy:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    38474132.jpg
  • cpayne56
    cpayne56 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks - keeping positive is the main thing. Now I seem to know the rhythm it doesn't bother me so much.
  • cpayne56
    Options
    38474132.jpg

Tee Hee - Very funny! :-)
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think a good way (for most people not everyone) to help avoid or get over a plateau is to change up your routine. I started this journey in Feb & we used the elliptical & I also did some Wii Fit then Just Dance 4 workouts. Those were great until the weather started to get nicer & I wanted to be outside more. So then I started walking, it was something entirely new for me & treats my body differently then the other activities. So now I pretty much walk 5 days a week when possible. Sometimes its 3km sometimes 5km but this helped alot & I will continue to do this for the summer while also adding in swimming when I can & just constantly being on the go with my kiddies etc. When my body does new & diff things it tends to show on the scale. In the fall or when the weather changes I plan to change it up again. I still have about 90lbs to lose so I don't want to hit a plateau yet, working to avoid it as much as possible!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My 1st major goal was 200 lbs...I was stuck at 203 lbs for 17 days straight...UGH! I found the Zig Zag diet and broke the plateau.
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

This!!! Me too, but hey, look at it as temporary maintenance! At least you aren't gaining! :happy:

I just posted about this too! 4mo of not losing, not gaining either. Just playing with the same 5lbs. It’s making me nuts. After the first couple of weeks I ready it’s not really a plateau at a couple of weeks, then the first month went by and I started reading and trying things to break it. Giving each new thing two weeks before adding or changing something else. I'm still here, 4mos in and no change. As I said in my other post I just had back surgery so I'm on gym restriction for 6wks. But I am still not gaining, so I'm focusing on that and trying to stay positive.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I didn't really understand the meaning of "plateau" until I joined MFP and looked at the progress graphs on the app and saw a straight line for over 3 weeks. I've lost a bit over 6 lbs in 2 months of hard work, and tracking everything. And it can be frustrating at times. But I keep working at it. I seem to lose a pound or two, and then nothing for a few weeks. I refuse to starve myself to drop weight quicker so I'm just going to try and be patient and stay positive and keep working my *kitten* off (literally)! I have so much more energy and my mood has been greatly improved (I battled depression for the last couple years). I can't ignore the fact that I feel great and feel like myself again. If that means losing at a slower pace, then so be it. I want to have a healthy mind AND body and I'm in it for the long haul.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Not drinking enough water causes dehydration (could be minor, but dehydration all the same). Dehydration causes fluid retention. Drink your water :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Females are genetically prone to plateaux. But as others have said, switching your exercise routine can help. Also check your BMR/TDEE and see if you can adjust your calories.

But if you're seing a definite rythm, that's just hormones. You'll probably drop double the following week.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Some ways you could break plateaus are through:
    1. Reducing calories more
    2. Refeeds
    3. Increasing your activity
    4. Cardio

"But hey its just advice........ at the end of the day, you could do whatever the
    you wanna dooo!"
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    "But hey its just advice........ at the end of the day, you could do whatever the
    you wanna dooo!"

5. Intermittent fasting.
    6. work out dem suga wawls

loool
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've never actually been stuck for more than a few weeks unless you count the last 15 yrs before I made a lifestyle change. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, and eat a WELL balanced meal. Remeber to stay focused, change up your routine & intensity to get your body out of a rut, and most important weight is not the only thing changing in your body. You are building muscle and burning fat, muscle takes up less volume than fat so when you gain muscle the scale still reads the same so take measurements too.

40437131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • cpayne56
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice, I think that it was not drinking enough and its time to start some serious exercise to keep the metabolism going.
    I am now off my plateau and steadily losing between 1 - 2lbs a week although I have the odd static week.

This is a hard road we are all on and the support on here is ace and helps to keep me going.

I am determined to get down to 16st before I go into hospital for my gallbladder removal operation. - I have 13lbs to go.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi cpayne56,

I always forget to drink enough water, I am never thirsty for some reason. I changed my eating habits on the 1st May so around 12 weeks now, I have lost around 9 lbs but it was all lost in the first 5 weeks. I have not lost anything in the last 7 weeks but I am wondering if water is the problem the same as you, I have not changed my diet in the last 12 weeks, I eat very similar every day.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If I look at my graphs I've got a number of straight bits, rapid down bits, shallow down bits - as long as its not going up I'm living with it :smile:

I've found an odd indulgent weekend really helps keep things moving, as well as doing different things - trying a new exercise DVD, walking somewhere different. I do often have maybe the same breakfast or same lunch for a few days (depending what's in the fridge) but might swap one of my snacks, or have some different fruit for a change rather than make a massive change.