What am I doing wrong? Please help!!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely eat more for breakfast than just a glass of warm water and a slice of lemon and honey! Breakfast is not called the most important meal for no reason!

You mean break fast, as in break the fast. It's not breakfast. The meal where you break your fast is important, and should be a nutritious one that also works for your stomach.

That's as much a myth as the protein window.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also, muscle weighs four more times than fat. So if you are exercising, particularly weight training, then the scale will not be a good indicator of your progress. However, clothes do not lie. They stay the same size. As your clothes fit better and then become too big, you'll know that you're making progress.
    She's been in the gym a month, eating at a deficit and not lifting. If she had gains...at all....they would be minimal (again, if at all) "newbie gains", and those wouldn't affect the scale.

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    5. weigh-ins - weigh yourself only once each week at the same time of day, preferably before breakfast. Any more frequent, and you'll be misled by day to day variations in water retention. Also, muscle weighs four more times than fat. So if you are exercising, particularly weight training, then the scale will not be a good indicator of your progress. However, clothes do not lie. They stay the same size. As your clothes fit better and then become too big, you'll know that you're making progress.

tommy.gif
  • dbmata
    Options
    Also, muscle weighs four more times than fat. So if you are exercising, particularly weight training, then the scale will not be a good indicator of your progress. However, clothes do not lie. They stay the same size. As your clothes fit better and then become too big, you'll know that you're making progress.
    She's been in the gym a month, eating at a deficit and not lifting. If she had gains...at all....they would be minimal (again, if at all) "newbie gains", and those wouldn't affect the scale.

Oh dear god.

How much does a pound of fat weigh? How much does a pound of muscle weigh?

In what planet does a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat?

GAAAAAHHHHHH. BASIC MATH.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Oh dear god.

I'm guessing that isn't directed at me?
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options

Oh dear god.

obviously they worded that incorrectly and yes a pound is a pound. But muscle is denser than fat and the same volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat

just like a pound of lead and a pound of feathers weigh the same it takes a hell of a lot more feathers to reach that pound than it does lead

same concept
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Everyone, Thanks for the kind words.

I do very light weight lifting along with the cardio. I do about 3 sets of 10 reps for lateral dumbbell raise with each pair weighing 6kg. 4 sets of 25 reps leg press and total 30 squats throughout the day. That is the max I can manage.

I can't say about measurements cause did not measure myself when I started, but plan on doing that today itself.

I don't know if this counts: I can't say that I went down by a pant size, but my old track pants that looked weird on me now fit nice. Not awesome, but just nice. So I kind of expected to have lost more. I am planning to eat 1400-1500 total cals for the next two weeks and see how it goes from there.

PS - As some of you have said, I indeed tend to eat more calories later in the day. Dinner is the only meal that the husband and I share, so we try to make that a proper meal. So, I eat less calories during lunch to compensate. However, we finish dinner by 9:30pm and go to sleep only around 12- 12:30 am; so is still eating a little heavy dinner a problem? Need advice on this. I stay within my carb and protein limit, but somedays I am not even hungry after 1000-1100 cals. On the weekends that I go over occasionally, they would be around 1500-1600 calories.

PPS- I am not aiming to lose 15 pounds a month as someone pointed out. Just 2 kgs a month, which is about 4 lbs. That makes only 1lb/week. What makes you think I am not real? I am struggling here, please do not make it worse for me :(
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you are in Mumbai, I can give you my former trainer's mobile number to set up a session. He's opened his own gym. He was training at Water Stones country club.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you are not used to exercising or doing the type you are doing now, you could just be holding fluid from inflamation in the muscles. If that's the case, it should drop soon. Also, if you are like me and very sensitive to sodium or carbs, you may be holding fluid from that and picked a high weight day to weigh. Watch your diet for high sodium and reweigh in a few days.
    Did you take measurements? If not, do so. The scale lies (see above, LOL), the tape measure does not.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This should answer all your questions about BF% and TDEE, BMI, BMR etc. etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

For healthy weight loss you should eat TDEE-20% without eating your exercise calories back
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try to balance you calories through the day -not because calories are evil after a certain time, but just to avoid being starving by evening! Vegetables are a good way to help bulk up your meal (but be careful of starchy veg like corn) but do make sure you weigh ingredients like rice and pasta - before they're cooked they look so tiny its easy to throw in an extra handful or two, and then its cooked so it needs eating :ohwell:

I set my activity to sedentary - I sit at a desk all day so there is no "accidental" exercise, I have to make a conscious decision to do every little scrap - and eat back all my exercise calories. But I do try to stay a little under (no more than 150cal or so) to give myself a cushion for the weekend in case of roast dinners.

Find exercise you really enjoy, and it gets easier to do more! (I love zumba, but if you don't have that where you are maybe there's other dance-based classes you might enjoy? It just makes it seem mmore of a party and less of a chore - but maybe that's just me :bigsmile: ).

Finally, it doesn't look like you have much to lose so you should be able to lose 1lb a week as long as you are not under-estimating calories or over-estimating exercise by too much (I've always used the MFP estimates and its worked for me!). The poeple who lose huge amounts straight off often have a lot more to lose in the first place and/or were eating considerably more calories.
  • SutapaMukherji
    Options
    If you are in Mumbai, I can give you my former trainer's mobile number to set up a session. He's opened his own gym. He was training at Water Stones country club.

Unfortunately, No :frown:

I stay in Hyderabad. That is a good overnight journey by road from Mumbai. But thanks for the help :smile:
  • SutapaMukherji
    Options
    If you are not used to exercising or doing the type you are doing now, you could just be holding fluid from inflamation in the muscles. If that's the case, it should drop soon. Also, if you are like me and very sensitive to sodium or carbs, you may be holding fluid from that and picked a high weight day to weigh. Watch your diet for high sodium and reweigh in a few days.
    Did you take measurements? If not, do so. The scale lies (see above, LOL), the tape measure does not.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear your kind words :smile:
  • dbmata
    Options

Oh dear god.

I'm guessing that isn't directed at me?

Good guess. It was easier to quote you and respond to the upstream than to just find the original.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't add your calories burned from exercise back into your budget unless you're Michael Phelps. Also, since you've only been tracking calories for a short period, you are very likely underestimating what you're actually taking in.

For body fat percentage, there are plenty of online calculators that can give you a decent estimate using only a tape measure.

My advice is stick with it, track your measurements (at least hips, waist, and neck), and maybe add some strength training. You won't get bulky from working with weights.

^this!!!^ I didn't start seeing results ti;; I dropped to 1200 cals a day and stopped eating back ALL my burned calories
  • dbmata
    Options

Oh dear god.

obviously they worded that incorrectly and yes a pound is a pound. But muscle is denser than fat and the same volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat

just like a pound of lead and a pound of feathers weigh the same it takes a hell of a lot more feathers to reach that pound than it does lead

same concept

They didn't say that one is denser of the other, or that the same weight has different volume. I wouldn't have been inspired to post if that were the case.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PS - As some of you have said, I indeed tend to eat more calories later in the day. Dinner is the only meal that the husband and I share, so we try to make that a proper meal. So, I eat less calories during lunch to compensate. However, we finish dinner by 9:30pm and go to sleep only around 12- 12:30 am; so is still eating a little heavy dinner a problem? Need advice on this. I stay within my carb and protein limit, but somedays I am not even hungry after 1000-1100 cals. On the weekends that I go over occasionally, they would be around 1500-1600 calories.

Doesn't matter at all. I eat the core of my calories at night, because I don't really enjoy eating during the day. I've lost over 9kg in 2.5 months.

Breakfast being important is a myth promoted by marketers and heralded by the uninformed public. Properly breaking a fast though, is important.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, No :frown:

I stay in Hyderabad. That is a good overnight journey by road from Mumbai. But thanks for the help :smile:

Has the monsoon season started in Hyderabad? My friends in Mumbai welcomed the rain last week.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I stay within my carb and protein limit, but somedays I am not even hungry after 1000-1100 cals. On the weekends that I go over occasionally, they would be around 1500-1600 calories.

Are you measuring your food? I thought the same. Then I realised that what my eyes thought was a 'cup of rice' was in fact 2 cups of rice. Hello an extra 190 calories just there!

IT ADDS UP. You don't suddenly feel 'full' on 1000 calories if you were overeating before (as you are trying to lose weight, I assume you were eating a lot more than 1000 cals a day than before). You just don't.

Log ACCURATELY for a month. Everything. Exercise, food, water, EVERYTHING. Then come to the forums and seek help as there will be more accurate information for people to work off.

Also, the 50g protein which MFP gives you is very low - you should aim for more like 100g a day.

edit: I am not going to sugar coat things; you have close to NO vegetables in your diet. You really REALLY need some of the green stuff for nutrients and energy as well as fibre. Cannot stress this enough. It is not as simple as calories in and calories out. Please go out there, go out of your comfort zone, and have some grilled (no oil) chicken and a big salad for lunch some time! You are depriving your body of important nutrients that simply aren't found in just wheat, rice, meat and dairy products. I love my salad lunches :)
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Oh dear god.

same concept

They didn't say that one is denser of the other, or that the same weight has different volume. I wouldn't have been inspired to post if that were the case.

no, they said that muscle weights 4x fat. It seems pretty silly to assume they meant that 1 lb of muscle weights 4x as much as 1 lb of fat. By that thinking MFP might as well throw out the weight tickers for everyone's profile because we all weigh the same (one lb of the OP weighs the same as 1 LB of dbmata).