Best meal of your life?!

Options
I'm away on a business trip and went to a local italian restaurant for dinner tonight. Had house-made burrata cheese drizzled with truffle oil with grilled foccacia, and grilled asaparagus. TO DIE FOR!!! *worth every delicious calorie* What was the best meal of your life??

..prepare to drool!

Replies

• sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving dinner is always my favorite meal. And I don't eat a turkey sandwich the next day I recreate the whole dinner for lunch hahaha.
  • kiwanda88
    kiwanda88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Without question, it was about a year ago on a very small island off the coast of Okinawa. A colleague and I were "honored guests" of the local mayor (who didn't really care about our visit near as I could tell) and were invited to a dinner in the back room of a local bar. Over the course of four hours we were treated to an almost endless stream of traditional Okinawan/Japanese foods, most of them locally harvested, plus more of their local sake than I can remember. Fish head soup. Piles of sashimi, only parts of which I could recognize (octopus, squid, sea urchin, eel...but most of the fish we only got Japanese names for). Every time I thought the food was done they would bring in another platter. After a couple of hours one of the city council started playing a traditional instrument and singing, then shortly after everyone began dancing (this was an all-male event, other than the servers). And the food kept coming. It think they were amused by Americans that would eat anything and pleased that we enjoyed it as much (or more) than they did.

It must have been a 5,000 calorie evening with all the sake. But well worth it.
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My son had a kidney transplant when he was 8 years old. After a month of hospital food, my friend took me out for dinner at a steak restaurant. I had a simple grilled fillet, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. 20 years later it is still the best meal I've ever had.
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It was a James Beard dinner at The American in Kansas City. Ten courses, each with a wine paring. $250, and it was a steal. Ten different chefs from all parts of the country. It was several years ago but I still remember most of it.

We arrived to hors d'oeuvres of Hog Island oysters, in a meyer lemon mignonette, some crab and shrimp, and some champagne. This was served in the lounge overlooking the beautifully set dining room and overlooking the city through two story windows. The tables were preset with 10 wine glasses each in bowling pin formation. The red wines were being pre-poured oxidize a little.

We were seated at a round table for eight, next to the restaurant critic for the Kansas City Star. I don’t remember all the chefs and courses, but I’ll give it a go for what I do remember.

Rick Tromanto, Tru Chicago appetizer
    Barbara Lynch, No 9 Park, Boston White Bean Soup with crispy prosciutto.
    John Besh, August, New Orleans. Smoked Pheasant breast, confit pheasant thigh, and fried sweatbreads.
    Celine Tio, American Restaurant, Kansas City
    Max (Famous formagier at Artisinal)
    Famous chef from Four Seasons in Atlanta, Foie Gras two ways Seared and Tourchon
    Famous chef from Four Season in San Francisco. KC Strip
    There was some seafood
    A chocolate course paired with cabernet that outstanding
    A couple more dessert courses

If you’re a fan of Iron Chef America, you may recognize a few of the names.

Wines were provided by and explained for each course by Robert Mondavi’s daughter.

We got to talk to the chefs after the dinner. This was a highlight. of the meal. We got into a friendly argument with Rick Tramonto about which spices he put in his appetizer. He claimed none, my friend and I insisted we knew better. Kind of fun. Barbara Lynch has a potty mouth, but was great fun to talk to. Her bean soup was the best dish of the night and we told her so.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, what a great question. Kudos to the OP!

This is such a tough one for me because I LOVE food. Certainly one of my best fancy meals ever was a 5 course tasting menu at a beautiful, uber romantic restaurant in Paris. I'd die to go back one day with a significant other. It was...perfect.

BUT, putting aside fancy meals, the best meal I ever had was in Knysna, South Africa. They are known for their oysters. You order them and the guys jump off the doc to collect them in the ocean and then bring them back to you. We also had all sorts of seafood in an awesome spicy butter sauce. And cold beer. Amazing.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips with house made tartare sauce at The Sands in Palm Beach. Very simple but sauce made it divine. We were going to the restaurant because relatives from NZ were just about to return. Some others got stupid dishes like pasta (that was all pasta and nothing interesting).

Vegetable pasties and caramalised quince with ice cream on a cold winter day. I woke up that morning thinking that because there was no bread left there was nothing to eat, and felt pretty miserable cause it was freezing. So dad decided to use up the vegetables and fruit (and miraculously, we had ice cream). Meal made us feel very full and warm, so the coldness of the icecream was refreshing haha

Zucchini fritters and French bread stick with Hollondaise sauce. My aunt in NZ made it, telling me nonchalently that it was "just a few things" she'd "thrown together."

Spinach and cheese Canneloni mum made for my brother and I. We live in a split family so we didn't get to see our mother often. Helping mum stuff the canneloni and eating it at the end was one of those comforting childhood memories

Steak, gravy, mashed potato and vegetables at a pub in the south island of NZ. After driving around for ages and not finding any good eating places (yikes, in NZ?), my dad brother and I came across a random country pub in the Canterbury Plains. It was a little bit off the beaten track but had a buffet and really good food.

Chicken Caesar salad. I could go for that anytime!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am pretty simple. Chicken and Waffles at Founding Farmers in DC is one of my favs. Fried chicken, white gravy, Belgian waffles, maple syrup, macaroni and cheese and sautéed squash and zucchini. Southern comfort food heaven.