5:2 diet?

Options
Can someone explain what this is? Thanks!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The diet specifies a low calorie consumption (sometimes described as "fasting") for two days a week, which need not be consecutive, but allows normal eating for the other five days.[4][5] Men may eat 600 kcal (food calories) on fasting days, and women 500.[6] A typical fasting day may include a breakfast of 300 kcal, such as two scrambled eggs with ham, water, green tea, or black coffee, and a lunch or dinner of grilled fish or meat with vegetables, amounting to 300 kcal.[5] The daily 500 or 600 kcal limit requires small portions.

From, wikipedia.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That sounds dangerous! I'd be scared to eat that little. I eat 1900 a day right now and exercise 5x a week. I'd be worried about eating that little two days a week : /
  • tricksee
    Options
    That sounds dangerous! I'd be scared to eat that little. I eat 1900 a day right now and exercise 5x a week. I'd be worried about eating that little two days a week : /

Unfortunately people do think that.

Our bodies and genes are designed to withstand periods of famine as they were forged in an environment of scarcity. Eating little and often or regularly every day is now so normal and expected that most people don't understand or find it strange when the opposite is suggested, even though it's the most natural thing to do.

That's the trouble with living in first world, developed countries, food is at our fingertips 24 hours a day. I swear if someone doesn't eat for 3 hours they say they're starving or something equally as asinine.

500 calories is perfectly safe twice a week and actually beneficial in more ways than just weight-loss. Against cancers, Alzheimers and other diseases.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am curious to hear from people who do this and what results/experiences you have had.
  • pwen1988
    pwen1988 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yep, i reckon it's perfectly safe. it also was the only thing that helped to brake my plateau which lasted almost 2months.
  • tricksee
    Options
    I am curious to hear from people who do this and what results/experiences you have had.

This website has a whole group dedicated to 5:2 fasters and other forms of fasting.

Head on over there and check it out.
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Ashley - its complete safe .. Im doing it myself and have had friends do it too.. mixed results if im honest.. some have said it made them eat more on the 'non fasting' days and other friends swear by it.. Its completely safe though and has been proven to help with all sorts of health problems too.
    My only concern with you is your train so hard 5 times a week, i'm not sure you would have enough energy to train on the days you are fasting..
    You could always eat normally on the non fasting days and exercise and then the 2 days you fast you dont have exercise and break.
  • paulbear75
    paulbear75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just heard of this diet through Coronation Street and I thought it was a joke. Has it worked for people?
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Complete agree with Tricksee!! great post.
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Hi I've just been doing some research into it and found this from an online book company who are promoting the diet.

Can I exercise on a fast day?
    There is good evidence that people who exercise in the fasted state burn more fat. In one study men who exercised before breakfast burnt more fat than those who exercised afterwards. Exercise can also be a useful distraction if you begin feeling peckish. Don’t, however, attempt to do a lot of endurance training on a fasting day and if you feel uncomfortable, stop.