Day 4 of the LAST TIME I'LL EVER QUIT SMOKING!

Options
Boy am I being ambitious or what?! lol To break it all down, I am being irritable and snappy, and I want a smoke sooo badly, but I have the willpower not to go buy a pack *for now!* I've decided that I do not want to have to put myself through this ever again (this being like the 10th time I have attempted quitting) I am sick of letting the nicotine control me! I can do this and I am going to do this. It almost seems a little bit easier now that I have totally resigned myself to the fact that I will not be giving up and smoking this time. I think every other time I quit (even when pregnant) I had it in the back of my head that inevitably I would smoke. Anyways, enough ranting! How are all you other quitters hanging in there?

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Boy am I being ambitious or what?! lol To break it all down, I am being irritable and snappy, and I want a smoke sooo badly, but I have the willpower not to go buy a pack *for now!* I've decided that I do not want to have to put myself through this ever again (this being like the 10th time I have attempted quitting) I am sick of letting the nicotine control me! I can do this and I am going to do this. It almost seems a little bit easier now that I have totally resigned myself to the fact that I will not be giving up and smoking this time. I think every other time I quit (even when pregnant) I had it in the back of my head that inevitably I would smoke. Anyways, enough ranting! How are all you other quitters hanging in there?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! You can do it! You've already shown yourself that you can make huge changes in your life and this is another big one!!! Four cheers for you on day FOUR :happy:
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Day #4 is awesome!! You're already letting the nicotine completely purge from your bloodstream. If you give in now, you'll dose yourself back up and have to start all over again, hang in there!

The 1st week is the hardest, quit thinking "Oh I'll just have one again someday." Never again, you will feel so much better once you break yourself free from those nicotine chains! Take it day by day, distract yourself and avoid situations where you would normally smoke. You CAN re-learn to do normal daily activities like driving w/o smoking! It DOES get easier!

Make sure you tell as many people as you can that you have quit smoking. Don't hide it, if you do, you're more likely to slip back into the habit. Once it's out there, you have that riding on your shoulders that ALL these people know that you quit!

Congrats on your decision to quit! :drinker:
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    WOOOOO!!!!:bigsmile:
    You are done with the physical part. Now you can tell yourself it is all in your head when you want one. Get through the first week and you are home free.
  • killianrjkl
    Options
    I smoked for 40 years. I quit smoking once for six months. It was the hardest thing I had ever done. Cold turkey! One day I thought "what would it hurt to have just one"? That led me back to my one pack a day habit. Ten years later I was diagnosed with COPD. I knew I had to quit but the thought of going through the withdrawal again made me shudder. The alternative, however, was frightening! I never felt the patch or gum was a good idea--what good would it do to keep nicotine in your system? Long story short I found www.freshstartmethod.com. It's an online hypnosis program. Not really expensive (compared to the cost of cigarettes in the long run) but you have to really want to do this for yourself--not for anyone else. I have been smoke free for 327 days. This program really worked for me. Good luck.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

My sis just quit this week after 40 years and the way we figured it out she has smoked:

Approx. 584,000 cigarettes :huh:

and spent over $81,760.00 smoking :explode: :grumble: :noway:

Lauren you are so smart to honor yourself :heart: and decide to quit. :happy:

Imagine what kind of good things you could do for yourself and your family with that amt of $ ?!

Stay strong...you will be successful! :drinker:

Her breathing is so shallow :cry: and her voice is very deep...I pray she can recover from 40 yrs of :smokin:

I am proud of her and you for quitting. :wink: :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • sheristeele
    Options
    CONGRATS! I am on my 7th month after quitting. I smoked for 23 years and finally put the cigs down. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. It is down hill after that. It took me about 6 weeks before I wasn't thinking about them everyday.. not quite as bad as I thought. After 3 months, I barely thought about it. I do still have the thoughts, especially if I have a drink, but most of the time its not too bad. Keep a few things in your mind: # 1 You will have to go back through all this again if you start back up.. because eventually you WILL have to quit. #2: you will eventually get either emphysema or cancer. This isn't a "might" thing. Every smoker eventually gets emphysema.. it is just dependent on how many years they smoke and genetic makeup.
    GOOD LUCK. You are awesome!
  • neha
    neha Posts: 67
    Options
    See! I told ya, people support so much here. Good going! Congs for day 4!
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    i quit 2 years and 3 months ago. The cravings are wider and wider apart. I will still once in a great while want one but I know I will not stop with one. Lemon Heads got me through the first six months. I gained some weight but thats why I'm on MFP. I say keep it up. Wait til you get to the day you realize all of your clothes smell and you have to spend tons of money and time washing everything. I did it was about 30 dollors at the laundry mat. GOOD LUCK
  • mimzy
    mimzy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good job!!
    I know how hard it is. I quit after smoking for 26 years and about 5 quits. I've been smoke free for a year now and I STILL....not very often.....but STILL find myself wanting a cigarette sometimes, but the craving leaves really fast and they seem to be further apart. I used Chantix--wonder drug as far as I'm concerned!

I can't imagine having to pay for gas AND cigarettes right now--good job and you'll be SO thankful you did it!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lisatownsend
    Options
    im using chantix right now ! try it it works ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Lauren! You can do it, I know you can... and when you do, I want you to coach my hubby! :D He's been smoking since he was 16, and has tried to quit at least 12 times during the past 6 years. Honestly, I think quitting nicotine is harder than losing weight.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I got a craving the other day... and I thought of a couple of people that I know that have recently been diagnosed with lung cancer. Puts the craving right out of my head. :flowerforyou: It's hard... it's been very hard for me too after smoking since I was very young... but if I want a healthier me then I had to stop smoking. What's the sense in being skinny if I'm just going to end up with lung cancer because I can't get that addiction under control.