Do you eat before you exercise?

Options
Do you eat before you exercise?

If so: what do you eat, why do you eat it, and how long before you exercise do you eat it?

If not: why not?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on the time of day and what workout I'm doing.

For a normal mid-week kind of run (10km or less) I generally run early in the morning and will run in a fasted state (I hate running with anything approaching a full stomach), similarly I'll row (erg) up to 10km or so fasted.

On a race day I'll always eat before the race (I aim for 2 to 3 hrs before the start) and my typical pre-race breakfast is toast & PB, yogurt and a banana.

I can eat closer to a bike ride but will normally have a breakfast similar to my pre-race one.

I'll usually hit the weights in the evening and make a point of always eating something at least an hour beforehand (usually it's whatever we're having for dinner & I'll just wait an hour or so before working out).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't. I take BCAA's and maybe an energy drink but no food. I can lift heavier and for more reps when I'm fasted (after 36 hours I notice a sling decrease in strength).

It's up to personal preference. Some people feel weak if they don't eat first.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    For me no. I train fasted and have been for the last few years. When I used to eat before, I would have to stop mid training sometimes because of nausea. Since I've train fasted, I've never had an issue. And I haven't noticed any drop in my performance or fitness level, so I've continued that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have half a cup of coffee (or a cup) and a small banana or whole wheat cracker.
    I have this about 20 mins before i exercise.
    i have exercised a few times without eating but i felt nauseous and less energized. i find the banana to be the perfect food for me. i exercise in the early AM.
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning & I HAVE to eat breakfast, especially if i'm going to be working out, or I'll get really shakey & nauseous. If I want to go to the gym as soon as I get up I'll eat a banana, or a granola bar, just something small. But I usually give myself around an hour, hour and a half and eat a real breakfast such as oatmeal or eggs.
    I find working out on a empty or less than half full stomach makes me feel really dizzy when exercising.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I like to have something light, like a piece of fruit and a protein shake. I get dizzy if I don't eat before, and I get naseuous if I eat too much.

Try em all until you find that sweetspot that works for you.
  • JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If it's a morning workout I have a Cliff Bar on the way to the gym. Evneing workouts are after supper so yes i eat ebfore them too. I have taken to eating 5 smaller meals per day usuallly within four hours of each other. My workouts typically take 2 to 2.5 hours, so I knid of have ot eat before them. Always eat after them too - within an hour.
  • karinefournel
    karinefournel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I do an early morning run I don't because I know I'll be hit with nausia. If I run at lunch time I'm make sure that I have eaten 2 hours before the run or training, again not to get nausia. For race day (half-marathons) or long runs because I know I'll be running slower I can stomack a light breakfast (oatmeal, banana and coffee). However, once the runs or training is done I make sure to eat within 30 minutes of it.

It depends on the person. I can't eat before a hard workout but my mother can.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I used to work out before breakfast all the time but I have noticed if I work out an hour or so after breakfast, I do have a lot more energy to put into my work out (maybe partly because I'm more awake!!). I can't work out right after I've had anything to eat or drink though and I try to limit water during my workout to small sips. Otherwise I get a lot of nausea and stitches.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends of the time and whatnot. Typically, I like to wait an hour or so after eating, but unfortunately it's not always doable.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    something small, usually a piece of fruit and a small drink about 20-30 mins before, I need the energy to get me through. Will do this as soon as i get in/get up then get ready and that way not running or exercising on too full a stomach.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the evenings I usually have some almonds and chocolate about an hour before the class starts. When I workout on Saturday, I usually get up so late I don't have time to eat.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch at my desk, along with a banana (because my carbs are generally low and, well, I like bananas). Then about 15-30 minutes later I will drink my pre workout (cellucor c4). I drink it slow, because it tastes so dang good. Then I head to the gym. Generally, around an hour or so after I eat.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    No, i eat dinner around 5-6 pm. I get up around 3:30am , I drink 16-20oz of water at around 4am. Work out from 4:45-6AM . Usually drinking another 20-40oz of water during. The shake I drink at around 6:15am, is the 1st bit of "nutrition" I take in every day.

It works good for me.... your mileage may vary ....
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake about 1 hour before my workout. I can't workout if I feel at all hungry as it makes me feel sick.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My energy drops like a stone after about 3 miles if I don't eat before a run. What and when depends on how far I'm going and whether it's a race. If there's time, I eat breakfast a few hours beforehand, then a small snack (banana or slice of toast with peanut butter) 15-30 minutes before.