Newer Car Choices

Options
BrienJD
BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
It's about time to retire my 1994 Honda accord. It's been a good run at 206,000 but it's now wearing out piece by piece so it's time to relegate it to secondary/emergency car status.

Having a tough time deciding what to get next so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Qualifications are: Used within say two or three years for affordable price, gas mileage, quality/longevity (the Accord lasted about 20 yrs)

I have narrowed the field down to about 6 or so, but am open to reasonable suggestions

Midsize: Accord, Camry, Sonata

Compact,: Civic, Corolla, Elantra.

I have stayed away from US manufacturers for obvious reasons: the Dodge Neon, Ford Pinto, and AMC Gremlin etc, etc, etc.

I would love to hear from folks who own these.

Replies

• BrienJD
    Options
    Wow,

Not even a post bashing me for not buying an American Brand.....
  • IOWAlapbanderette
    IOWAlapbanderette Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I won't bash...but...

I bought AMERICAN. I have a ford Edge..and LOVE it.
    great gas mileage, roomy, good track record ...
    My kids own Nissan and Ford an Chevy.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Ford Focus is awesome. Especially stick. Just saying!! :flowerforyou:
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Ford Mustang for me
  • Roger_Vaughn
    Roger_Vaughn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I bought the Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL... I get 48 MPG on my commute and the are AMERICAN made in Tenn..

I was looking at it and the focus, Optima, Fusion, and Escape.

R>
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Midsize: Accord, Camry, Sonata

Compact,: Civic, Corolla, Elantra.

On the midsize, owned a few Camry's including a Solara and one Accord. The Accord is more sporty and handles better. The Camry is quieter and has a softer ride. They both ran like champs with no mechanical issues.

On the compact, owned a couple Civics including a Hybrid, and a 2011 Elantra. The Elantra is a nice car with lots of features that are standard equipment. I listen to talk radio, which is usually on AM radio. The AM radio on the Elantra sucks and has a lot of static. It'd bad enough that if this wasn't my wife's car, I would sell it. The Civic does the important things exceptionally well. The Civic's big, digital speedometer readout should be standard equipment on every car, especially with police and photo radar everywhere. The Civic is quicker off the line than the Elantra. The radio and sound system is far superior. Ride is not as soft as the Elantra. Both the Elantra and Civic are loud when it comes to road noise.

Hope this helps.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I bought the Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL... I get 48 MPG on my commute and the are AMERICAN made in Tenn..

I was looking at it and the focus, Optima, Fusion, and Escape.

R>

x2 on the diesel Passat.(or Jetta)

Will hold its value better than any of the cars you listed, will be competitive from a cost/features standpoint, and will last a long time.

I had a Jetta TDI for 11 years (2000-2011) and racked up 203,000 miles. Averaged about 45mpg over that time (with an automagic transmission, wife couldn't drive a stick) while the gas jettas were averaging less than 30. Being able to drive from Louisville to Chicago and back without filling up was awesome. My best tank was over 800 miles.

even with 203,000 miles and 11 years old, the dealer gave me $3,000 on TRADE. Not bad for a $21,000 car.
  • ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    Wow,

Not even a post bashing me for not buying an American Brand.....

STFU and buy a FORD!!! :tongue:
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I am totally a foreign car person....never owned an American made car. I think all 6 of your choices are great. Personally, I would go mid size. Unless you have a long commute and you want to save a little on gas. The compact cars are just a little too small for me. Of course, I'm 6 ft so I like to have the leg room.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love my Red Elantra. This is my third one. First one in 2001 was hit by everyone on the road. LOL I swear it was a hard luck car but I blame it on the color, midnight gray. Someone finally totalled it while it was parked in front of my house...LOL.. So I bought a silver one in 2006 (still on the road my daughter has it now). Now I drive the 2012 RED Elantra.

I LOVE it!! Best buy for the money.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have a Camry Hybrid with all the bells and whistles... I love it !! Excellent gas mileage.. 38 in town. and about the same on the highway. It has a lot of spunk and acceleration ....more than you would think. Lots of room in it and the new ones are sharp looking. I have a older on 2007 but it has 120000 miles on it and have done nothing but put new tires/brakes and oil changes....
  • BrienJD
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I guess I will look into some of these suggestions as well. I appreciate your time and efforts.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My uncle swears by Honda and Hyundai and will only buy those. He's had Civics and Sonatas, with no problem.

I have many friends who will also only drive Honda and Hyundai - Accords, Civic, Elantra, Sonata. They love them, some have had them for years and they're still going strong.

I have a Mazda 3 that I love.
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I have a Mazda 3 that I love.

FWIW I, too, am a very happy Mazda 3 owner; but I enjoy using a car share for work and renting for travel.

The Camry Hybrid is an excellent car. I just drove one to Vegas. Lots of punch, very fuel efficient, great instrument panel, lots of space. IMO it feels roomier than the Sonata.

Ford has come a long way in the last few years. I would encourage you to check out the Fusion. It's a great mid-size car.

I definitely understand loyalty to Honda having owned a couple Civics and an Accord (which I sold with 286k miles/still running). Civic (especially Si) is always on my radar for future purchase.
  • mwersan
    mwersan Posts: 175
    Options
    I have a 2012 Toyota Prius and absolutely love it! Great gas mileage and instrument panel! I currently get 58 city and 48 highway....GOOD LUCK!!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As you know most Japanese and Korean cars made for the US are built in the U.S and Most "American" cars are built in Mexico and Canada.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Stick with the Honda Accord. We drove ours for 20 years and 290,000 miles before it started disintegrating.
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am partial to German cars. The Jetta TDI previously mentioned is a great choice as long as diesel is easy to find where you live. Personally, I like Audis. I own three A4 Quatros. Purchased all directly from Audi as pre-owned. Great value and warranty.
  • SPARTANPOWER
    Options
    In for a black range rover
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just got a new camry and it's small yes I said small but very nice ride