Weight loss has plateaued working night shift

I've noticed that when I work night shift my weight loss stops all together. I'm still eating the same amount of calories and tracking everything I eat, but the scale just won't budge. On the nights that I work I use the 12am-12pm rule to count my calories and I'm not going over. I don't get it? Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• I've noticed that when I work night shift my weight loss stops all together. I'm still eating the same amount of calories and tracking everything I eat, but the scale just won't budge. On the nights that I work I use the 12am-12pm rule to count my calories and I'm not going over. I don't get it? Has anyone else had this happen?

While I would suspect that circadian rhythms probably play a role here, when are you weighing yourself? Most people weight first thing in the morning, after bowel excrement, for the most accurate readings. Obviously, this would skew the results for you.
  • I used to work night shifts also as a civil engineer. I would think that switching shifts like that could slow your metabolism down during the period of transition. Trying eating less carbs (at least that's what worked for me) and take a look at these top 10 fat burning foods : http://www.mydreamshape.com/top-10-fat-burning-foods-used-by-bodybuilders/
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I've noticed that when I work night shift my weight loss stops all together. I'm still eating the same amount of calories and tracking everything I eat, but the scale just won't budge. On the nights that I work I use the 12am-12pm rule to count my calories and I'm not going over. I don't get it? Has anyone else had this happen?
    hhh happened to me and I went 4 months without a loss and calorie addition was mentioned to me. I gradually increased 100 calories every two weeks and I started losing again......
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    I do night shifts, never heard of the 12am12pm rule, what I do is, my day (food records wise) starts when I wake up, and when the calendar changes at 12am I just backtrack to the previous day and keep recording on that date. It's less confusing for me
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    I work 3 nights a week and return to a fairly normal schedule on my days off. I continue to count my calories from 12A-12A. For instance I was up all day today and ate normally and logged my calories on Tuesday. At around 12:30 am I had 2 boiled eggs and I logged that for Wednesday. It seems to work best for me this way but I have been working nights for 3 years.
  • TheQueenofBee
    TheQueenofBee Posts: 5 Member
    Yeah I didn't mean to be confusing on the hours. I meant to say that I record my calories from midnight to midnight. I'm sure that the stall has to do with the flip flop back and forth. It's just irritating. :explode: :sad: