Training for a 5k in just a month?

Options
So, there is a Color Run coming up in mid-july and I'd like to go. Sounds like the perfect first 5k, very chill and laid back and the emphasis is on "fun", not times or "winning". People of all sizes and shapes go, even kids (I'd bring mine, but I know he'd demand to be carried after the first block lol). Anyways, I'm pretty out of shape - is it reasonable to expect that I'd be able to train enough to complete the 5k with just a little over a month before the event? I'm 29, 5'3", and ~255 lbs.

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you have no running experience I wouldnt expect that you could run the whole thing but you could easily walk it.. Train hard and get shoes for you (meaning go to a store that will analyze your stride and gait) to reduce pain and discomfort and when the day comes plan on run/walking... but yes, you could easily cross the finishline. its only 3 miles..
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you have no running experience I wouldnt expect that you could run the whole thing but you could easily walk it.. Train hard and get shoes for you (meaning go to a store that will analyze your stride and gait) to reduce pain and discomfort and when the day comes plan on run/walking... but yes, you could easily cross the finishline. its only 3 miles..

i agree! Go do it and have a blast!!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree too. From my understanding, the Colour Run is meant to be fun. It's not a timed run so there isn't that kind of pressure there. Get fitted for shoes, start running a little - I would recommend doing 5K at least once a week. But I don't mean you have to run it - I mean go that distance with a combination of running/walking. You will walk more than you run at first. If you are serious about learning to run, find a training program like C25K. It won't have you running 5K in a month, but it will get your body more used to running.

BTW, I'm hoping to run a Colour Run too - they haven't announced the dates for my area yet, so I don't know when it will be - but it sounds like soo much fun.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to run the whole thing, but I'd definitely go. It'd probably get you pumped up for some in the future. My best friend started slowly with her 5Ks and worked up to where she could run/jog a full one. I still can't run a full one, but I go and will at least walk them. I'd like to be able to jog one eventually, though. Most of the ones I've gone to are ones that are benefitting something like homeless animals, breast cancer, etc. I've heard the Colour Run is supposed to be a tooon of fun and seen some pics of some friends on Facebook doing it. I'd love to do it myself. I've never been in one where you had to finish by a certain time, usually they wait til everyone finishes it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That run definitely welcomes walkers, jog/walkers and runners.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did the Glow Run this year (similar to Color Run). I have never run a 5k let alone run at all. I tried to train ahead of time but never really did it so I walked some but also jogged a lot of it. Not full run but lightly eased into it. I would look at different items like tree or street light and start there with my run and then would find another object further down the street and say I would make it to that point without stopping. I would walk a little after that and then would find objects and run like that through the entire race.
    I would recommend at least walking a mile a day to start out and possibly ease your way into adding some jogging into the mix but get used to at least walking far distances. 3.1 miles I believe is what a 5k is, doesn’t seem like a lot but to us newbies it can be!
    Best of luck to you, it's all about having fun while doing it.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So, there is a Color Run coming up in mid-july and I'd like to go. Sounds like the perfect first 5k, very chill and laid back and the emphasis is on "fun", not times or "winning". People of all sizes and shapes go, even kids (I'd bring mine, but I know he'd demand to be carried after the first block lol). Anyways, I'm pretty out of shape - is it reasonable to expect that I'd be able to train enough to complete the 5k with just a little over a month before the event? I'm 29, 5'3", and ~255 lbs.
    If you haven't started training i would recommend the C25k couch to 5k program. while it is around a 9 week program it is an excellent training program for beginning runners.
  • unknwnprod
    unknwnprod Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've helped train a lot of people and I am in no way an expert runner. But as long as you are jog/walk healthy, a 5K in a month should not be too dificult and as everyone says, do it to have fun and don't expect to "run" the whole thing. Last summer I helped get my girlfriend get ready for her first sprint triathlon (including a 5K run at the end). She could not run a 1/4 mile when we started. Here is the program I had her do (It works really easy if you have a GPS watch.... about 100 bucks) but you can do it by time too. I will list both in case you don't have or don't want to purchase a GPS watch.

It's simple interval training. Go a minimum of 2-3 times a week. Never go more than 3 days without training or you will start to lose the cardio you are gaining.

Start off very easy (but "walk" as fast as you can without it turning into a jog.)

Week #1
    Jog ".1" miles (thats point 1 miles (528 feet!) ..... not a mile!)
    Walk ".1" miles

(No GPS - for time you can jog for 30 seconds, walk for 45 seconds)

Do this for a total of 2 miles - at least 3 times in a week.

Week #2
    Jog .2 miles
    Walk .1 miles

Do this for a total of 2 miles - at least 3 times in a week

Week #3
    Jog .5 miles
    Walk .1 miles

Do this for a total of 2 miles - at least 3 times a week.

Week #4
    Jog .75 miles
    Walk .1 miles

Try and do this for a total of 3 miles (3.1 miles is a 5K) at least 3 times in a week. You may find that by this time you can jog further and might be able to hit a mile before your walk enterval.

My girlfriend hit 1.5 miles without walking after 4 weeks and could do a 5K in a little over a month without stopping. It was a slow 12 Minute mile, which is good for a beginner. After 2 more months she was down to a 10 minute mile. She is trying to improve her 5K time to an 8 minute mile now.... just a year later.

So she went from 1/4 mile to 5K runner in about a month, so it's totally doable.

Size doesn't matter (as long as your healthy). I am 6 foot 170 pounds and less than 10 percent body fat and there are way bigger people blowing past me on triathlons.

Good luck! Have fun and change your picture to one with your 5K t-shirt when your done!

Jason