What the heck is porridge?????

Options
What is this porridge everyone is talking about? Is it another word for oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits? Or is it something completely different? It must be healthy because so many people on here talk about it.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    European version of oatmeal.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I assumed it was cream of wheat, but oatmeal makes sense because that's pretty healthy.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In the UK porridge is typically a breakfast cereal made from oats. Traditionally rolled oats but I guess you could extend it to ground oats too.

Loads of regional variations though in the way it's cooked. Some cook with water and season with salt (bleugh!) but most people would prepare it with milk (I'm guessing here...) and sweeten with sugar.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Porridge is a dish made from oats. In Scotland the traditional way to make it is pinhead oatmeal or rolled oats cooked in water and a pinch of salt. Sometimes people make it with milk or half water/ half milk. They can even add sugar - but that's just for Sassenachs. :wink: It is called porridge all across the UK and parts of northern Europe. In America it tends to be called oatmeal.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Depending on your region, any hot cereal; oatmeal, cream of wheat, corn grits, buckwheat, millet, etc.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It IS oatmeal.... lol!!! it is just what other parts of the world call it
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    yea i thought oatmeal and porridge were the same thing