Is it unhealthy to lose 3 pounds in 5 days?

Options
Hey guys, I was just wondering if that was unhealthy or not? I run/ jog daily and lift weights 4 times a week. I've been doing this for about 10 weeks now. I have lost 24 pounds so far but 4 since joining this site. Anyways, I was just hoping for some opinions. I try not use about 600-700 hundred calories a day. This week I've made a more concerted effort to drink 8 glasses of water so maybe that played a part in it. I have lost this much in previous weeks but that was early on. I am 5'10 201 if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I regularly lose 3-4lbs each week. I personally wouldn't worry.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    You can give me your extra pound if your worried. :-)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You can give me your extra pound if your worried. :-)

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :laugh: Here, here!! (Yeah, I really wouldn't worry.)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if that was unhealthy or not? I run/ jog daily and lift weights 4 times a week. I've been doing this for about 10 weeks now. I have lost 24 pounds so far but 4 since joining this site. Anyways, I was just hoping for some opinions. I try not use about 600-700 hundred calories a day. This week I've made a more concerted effort to drink 8 glasses of water so maybe that played a part in it. I have lost this much in previous weeks but that was early on. I am 5'10 201 if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Congratulations on that weight loss! Some of it may be water, but you are doing large amounts of exercise so are burning quite a lot of calories there, not surprised you are losing like that to be honest.

Regarding if it is unhealthy or not, do you feel okay, not faint or anything? Got usual amount of energy? If so, I wouldn't worry a jot, sounds like you know what you are doing anyway!

Just a word of caution though, if you start to lose large amounts of weight every week, trot along to your doctor, just to be on the safe side, sudden rapid weight loss that was not there before can be a harbinger to something else. Your health is of the utmost importance :flowerforyou:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    not necessarily unhealthy,.... but. looking over your diary...you are not eating enough. Don't skip meals and eat your allotted cals.... particularly don't go under 1200. This is what will create the yo yo cycle..... You could have lost extra water or exercise that you did over the weekend has begun to show.... but do eat >1200 cals. even if you went 1300
    Best wishes..... good luck keep up the progress.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    not necessarily unhealthy,.... but. looking over your diary...you are not eating enough. Don't skip meals and eat your allotted cals.... particularly don't go under 1200. This is what will create the yo yo cycle..... You could have lost extra water or exercise that you did over the weekend has begun to show.... but do eat >1200 cals. even if you went 1300
    Best wishes..... good luck keep up the progress.

Oh my, shes right! You need to EAT!!!! How do you even have any energy to work out???
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes your body needs atleast the 1200 ca to function.....If you don't eat atleast half your calories that the website says to your body may start holding on to everything you give it...Storing fat and you will gain weight.
  • aflewis1
    aflewis1 Posts: 12
    Options
    umm... I don't know if this has anything to do with my age or not, but i'm 5'4" and started out yesterday 1200 cal a day at 170 pounds even. I just weighed on the same scale that i used the other day and i have already lost 3 pounds. (a day and a half) I'm eating well and drinking a ton of water. I actually, and i hate to say this but, haven't exercised yet. I take my dog out a few times after i get home from work and it has been about 105 degrees outside so i've been sweating a lot when i take her out.

a couple of years ago, i was weighing 180 lbs and i did EXACTLY what i'm doing now and lost 22 lbs in 2 weeks and felt GREAT!! I feel FANTASTIC now, a ton of energy!!

But...I'm also 24 years old and have been fairly active most of my life. AND i'm losing for MYSELF!!! That's a very important aspect..you have to lose weight for yourself and be very willing to do so, if you have those 2 components then you should be very successful in your efforts.

I'm looking forward to losing the (at least) 15 lbs that I want to get rid of. I have a "larger frame" and so anything below 150 kind of makes me look like i have an eating disorder!! that and no matter what i do i haven't been able to get past 145 since i was 14!! :)

good luck to everyone on here trying to create a better, healthier you!! Kudos for that!!!

Alex
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you feel OK It's usually fine.

However, If you want to look like you did in HS you need to eat more than you are. Yes, you'll lose fat, and you might hit starvation mode, when the fat goes away you STILL won't look like you did in HS.

But looking at your diary, I don't know how you have the energy to workout either.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of the responses. I will make sure I eat more than 1200 calories a day. I think drinking all of this water makes me much less hungry. I appreciate it guys! Good luck to all!
  • aschrader7
    Options
    I usually work out bright and early in the morning and have a lot of energy from sleeping. I think I've trained my body to be ready to work early! I will make a better effort of eating more.