Spirulina- Tell me what you know!

Options
I am always looking for another "superfood" (gimmicky name, I know) to add to my already healthy diet. I know vegan atheletes often use spirulina as their source of protein, and was curious as to what others thought. Do you use it? Where do you buy it, and how do you prepare it? Do you take it in a pill/powder form?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/01/spirulina-the-amazing-super-food-youve-never-heard-of.aspx

ETA: I know some of this information is in the article, I was curious about personal experience and thoughts. Also, before someone goes bats*** crazy and says I'm looking for some "miracle" product, you can't lose weight because of a specific food...blah blah blah....
Shut up
I know. Just wanted to consider it for it's protein content, and if it has the other benefits they claim, then bonus.)
-I hate that you have to do that little disclaimer on this site, but you SO do.

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    steer clear...it be a scam:)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    steer clear...it be a scam:)

I had that coming :) That's why I edited my initial post.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Having tried the powder from Nuts.com, I would highly recommend the pill form.
    That is, unless you like everything you eat to taste fishy.
  • ZuzuandIndie
    ZuzuandIndie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I take it as a protein supplement. I don't use it as a gimmick, and honestly don't know how much of a "super" food it is. It does help me get to my protein goals each day, and since my stomach is iron intolerant it helps me get iron into my diet.

Here's a legit source of information:
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm

Just be sure to get a brand that takes care to remove any mercury or other contaminants.

I also take chlorella for the same reason. Spirulina is better (to me) if you get it in a bag and mix it into water as a drink (of very strange taste, but you get used to it). I just try to avoid millions of pills.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm curious about it too. Not because it's gimmicky or some kind of secret fat loss crap, Just very interested in an alternative plant based protein source.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've taken spirulina and chlorophyll powder every day since the early nineties. They are both great sources of protein, and make your skin look amazing. Anyone who tells you that spirulina has magical powers and will make you lose weight is a scam artist. It's a good supplement for people on a plant-based diet, nothing more.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Made me puke. Violently. I don't know if the particular product I ate was a bad batch or I'm allergic to it--I haven't been inclined to try again!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I add spirulilna to my protein shakes sometimes, but lately since I've started juicing I'm off the spirulina.

It's massively laxative in my experience.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far, including the input on taste, and the link. I'm a vegan, and while it really isn't hard to get the protein I need, sometimes I just don't focus on it and it would be nice to know their is a supplement for those days I don't plan out every single nutrient. I'm pregnant and plan to nurse, so I would definitely feel safer with organic from reputable sources.
  • Sunny820
    Sunny820 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How do you if the contaminants have been removed? How do you know a good brand or shop over another?

The UMM resouces mentions it helps with alergies. Anyone here want to vouch for that or have experiences either way?
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    I don't know that I've even noticed if it claims anything to do with weight loss. That's really not a concern of mine. If I could choose the claims that I have heard that I would like to benefit from, I would love it for it's ability to help my body detoxify, improve my skin (which has already improved 100 fold since I went veg), and help with allergies. I'm really focused on it as a protein source for days where I may run low.

ETA: I don't EXPECT it to do 100% of these things, but in my fantasy world, yes, it would be nice. I knew spirulina had a very solid reputation, but I was curious about other's experience and opinions.

You never KNOW that your food is safe. The vast, vast majority of the time, you don't vomit or get sonic diarrhea. I didn't say that I would be certain that an organic spirulina will always be uncontaminated by metals, I would just like a provider with a good reputation. Sheesh. Another disclaimer I wish I would have said, in retrospect.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It's a supplement. It's not a miracle and it won't melt your fat away. Having said that, i take it once in a while to get a boost of energy instead of caffeine.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    It's a supplement. It's not a miracle and it won't melt your fat away. Having said that, i take it once in a while to get a boost of energy instead of caffeine.

Ok, I mean, I'm not trying to be a **** or whatever, and I think your advice is solid, but nobody (that I've noticed) has said anything about it contributing to weight loss, and I think I've expressed thoroughly that it's not a concern or something the plant is purported to do. I want nutritious food to add to my healthy diet, and weight loss is a byproduct, not the goal.
    If I'm being rude, let me apologize, I do not mean to be. I just feel like you can't post anything on this site without hearing the same common sense statements over and over. A lot of people are looking for miracle cures and believe everything they read if it means they don't really have to work for it. I'm not one of those people. I've tried to convey that I have common sense, but it doesn't seem to come through.
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far, including the input on taste, and the link. I'm a vegan, and while it really isn't hard to get the protein I need, sometimes I just don't focus on it and it would be nice to know their is a supplement for those days I don't plan out every single nutrient. I'm pregnant and plan to nurse, so I would definitely feel safer with organic from reputable sources.
    I looked into taking it while nursing but there hasn't been a lot of testing done on its safety during nursing so that's something to bear in mind. Although so many things really haven't been ruled safe during nursing and people use them safely . . . Ultimately I decided not to take it because my father's friend described it as one of the nastiest tasting things ever in straight powdered form. That kind of shattered my illusion that it was something I might be able to hide in a smoothie. He liked what it did for him so he was considering trying it in pill form, though. Instead I've gone with various vegan protein powders: hemp, pumpkin seed, pea protein and rice protein, all of which can be found in organic versions if you're not averse to protein powders and decide spirulina's not for you.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    Thank you very much, bokchoybaby! I was kind of feeling unsure about adding this in just yet. I thought about just using a 1/2 or a 1/4 of the recommended serving. My husband ( I am so lucky) eats whatever the heck I put in front of him, and I'm sure he'd like to know he's getting enough protein as well (he's 6'5", large frame, so I don't want him to consistently get too low on it).
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    I drink a protein powder called spirutein (has spirulina). Its good :)
  • quixotic84
    quixotic84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use the Pure Hawaiian Spirulina pacifica powder and there is no taste at all when I add it to smoothies or fruit juice :)