Please tell me there is hope.

Options
I am what is referred to as "skinny fat". I have never really exercised on a regular basis. I am 5'3 and weigh 115. I started doing Zumba Core 3x per week on the XBox Kinect 3 months ago. I am up to a full session of high intensity. I use choose a cardio/core combo workout. I am gaining weight. I count my calories and am not eating less than 1200 net. I can tell my thighs are starting to tone and my hubby says that my waist appears to be smaller but I am gaining weight!. I started 3 months ago at 110-112lbs. What am I doing wrong? Why am I gaining? This is very disappointing; especially when my husband has been working out for the same time frame and has lost 15 lbs and has gone from 17.1% body fat to 9.8% in 90 days. He is 6" and was only 160lbs to begin with. So, it's not like he had a lot to lose himself.

I am just so frustrated. And, it didn't help having to go swimsuit shopping. Talk about depressing. The swimsuit manufacturers seem to think that just because you wear a small that you want to show it all. I couldn't find a one-piece to save my life. I ended up getting a child's size 16 bikini because at least it had more coverage on the tush. Then, my 7 yr old, in all her honesty, giggles and tells me my tummy is jiggling while I was exercising last night. Ugh!!!!! I don't wanna be a swimsuit model, but come on.

Thanks for any constructive input in advance and for listening to me whine.

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to look like a hot skeleton? I don't understand how you weigh 115 right now and you're frustrated because you weighed 110 three months ago? Am I missing something?

You might even still be underweight right now. You might not even know what your true body type is supposed to be.

It could be that your high intensity sessions produce too much cortisol which is negatively affecting your progress. That can actually cause weight gain. I don't understand Zumba Core XBox Kinect but personally I'd rather keep it simple and go for a nice, long walk. Burns the same amount of calories pretty much and a nice fat burn too. I think you should change your program up and keep it simple with dumbbells and low to moderate intensity cardio.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements other than the number on the scale?

While it's unlikely to happen at a caloric deficit you may have gained some lean muscle mass, more likely though is that your body has responded to your increased energy needs by storing more glycogen in your muscle tissue which leads to water weight gain (1 g of glycogen bods to 3 g of water)
  • st0dad
    st0dad Posts: 23
    Options
    does Zumba build muscle or anything of that sort? You might be losing fat but gaining muscle, which weighs more.

Now, by skinny fat, I think you're the same way I am. You're not -fat-, rather you're just out of shape.

I'm agreeing with SUV-Hater; instead of working on losing weight, work on toning. Instead of the Zumba you should try some weight training. Don't go overboard with the weights though; your goal is to tone and get muscle definition, not be bulked up. So, as my mom's personal trainer told me: "Less weight, more repetitions". Do what you can handle, and when it gets too easy, add weight.

Try that out for a few weeks an get a loose tape measure to check if you're losing inches. Sometimes people lose inches first, then the weight.

BTW, THERE IS HOPE! :D I believe you can get to your goal because you're already made the initiative. You can totally do this. I hope to see before/after pictures when you reach your goal!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    So you are 3-5lbs heavier then you were 3 months ago? But you say you look more "toned" and your waist is smaller? I'm not sure I see the problem :huh: If you just started exercising it's just water retention in your muscles. I really wouldn't worry about it, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to look like a hot skeleton? I don't understand how you weigh 115 right now and you're frustrated because you weighed 110 three months ago? Am I missing something?

So true story but get this. I neglected my morning constitutional yesterday. I weighed 5 pounds heavier yesterday than I did on the day prior.

Today, back to normal.

As for the hot skeleton thing, some people have body dysmorphia, and some have unrealistic expectations.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you have an vigorous exercise regiment, gaining weight isn't that big a problem.

In high school I used do about 3 hours of cardio on the crossramp at the gym at max incline and 10 resistance. I was 115 lbs at the time and I had a pair of really cute pants that I used to wear. These days, I almost never exercise and my current weight is 106 lbs. I held on to the cute pants I had in high school and you know what? They're too small.

The scale can only show your progress to a certain extend. A smaller number doesn't necessarily mean a thinner body. Just keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Btw, I'm also 5'3".
  • kheather72
    kheather72 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No, I am not trying to look like a hot skeleton. I have a very small frame. I wear a size 4 1/4 on my ring finger and they have to use a child size cuff to take my blood presure if that gives you any indicator as to my frame stature. I don't mind being around 115 and toned. As I said, I am probably mostly fat weight, which people find hard to believe because of my weight. My goal isn't to lose, but I don't get why I am gaining.

I do have issues with constipation (tmi) due to all the meds that I have to take. So, my tummy looks bloated, like I am 3 months preggo. I do Zumba because it is fun and I enjoy it. If I don't enjoy it, I won't do anything. Pure and simple. I am lazy so for me to Zumba on the regular is a huge step. Perhaps, I am building muscle, since I probably had close to none prior to my exercising. If so, that is awesome! I just hadn't heard of someone gaing by doing cardio/core trainging.

BTW: I am very proud of myself, as I weighed in at 172lbs prior to getting pg with my daughter and I have managed to keep it off 7 1/2 years now. So, I am not naturally thin. It is a daily struggle.

Thanks for your answers and input.