Yoga Ball in place of a chair?

Options
OGJake12
OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
Hello all,

I work in an office setting so I have a pretty sedentary natured job. I've been considering getting a yoga ball to counteract the long periods of sitting. Has anyone done this in their office? What are the pros cons, etc?

Discuss.

Also, I'm always looking for new, and active fitness pals. Add me if you are looking for some support like I am.

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WyLd_ReD
    WyLd_ReD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have used a yoga ball as my chair at home for about 5 years now! It's the only way to go! Less pressure on your spine and keeps your core engaged. I love it! But when it comes to an office you would need a base with wheels so that it won't go rolling away or cause a nuisance! Enjoy and I hope they approve you! :)
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I've considered doing this too, but we have these gloriously comfortable, and insanely expensive HermanMiller chairs at my office. Maybe I'll do it anyway.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Not sure what type of Health and Safety regulations you have where you are, but they are not supported in the office work environment where I am because it is a Health and Safety concern.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I did.. actually. loved it. Just be sure to sit up straight and use good form, otherwise your lower back will hurt. Also try not to do to much bouncing, it makes work fun and work is not supposed to be fun ;)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear success stories as well! I've long been considering this but haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There have been studies on it. It burns an extra 4 calories an hour (so, maybe an extra 30 in a day). If you have back issues or injuries it is a terrible idea because it causes the spine to compress due to lack of support. You can still slouch on a yoga or exercise ball, so it may or may not help with core strength. The 90/90 rule for sitting still applies.
  • katecasso47
    Options
    I would try it for a couple hours a day at most- you could really hurt your back if you are not doing it correctly.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Actually, what I really want is a treadmill desk. I'd have to get a doctor's order for it to be considered though. Hmm...
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    A stability ball in place of a chair at the desk is an uber idea.
    I have done it before, and my sister as well and it's GREAT. It also allows better posture and a few extra minutes each day to .... get some crunch time in!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16410033

"There was no difference in muscle activation profiles of each of the 14 muscles between sitting on the stool and ball. Calculated stability and compression values showed sitting on the ball made no difference in mean response values. The contact area of the seat-user interface was greatest on the exercise ball."
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this now. However just a few things to think about. First link I got from someone after I posted on my timeline that I was using a yoga ball in place of my chair. The 2nd one references the same info but talks about some pros & cons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/health/21really.html?ref=health&_r=0

http://lifehacker.com/5830748/why-i-switched-my-office-chair-with-an-exercise-ball-and-what-it-feels-like

Personally, I find it comfortable and I stand up a lot through the day so I am not just on my rear all day long. I'd rather have a stand up desk but what can you do right? Work will only pay for some things. However youtube has a great build your own stand up desk tutorial.
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    I use a yoga ball for apr. 4 hours a day at work and love it. I do not include it as part of my exercise here (on MFP) but the ball has helped my posture and it keeps me moving throughout the day. I highly recommend using one!
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Posture is a main concern of mine. I'd like to work towards much better posture with this. Thank all of you for your quick and effective responses, and the similar alternatives that were offered.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd thought about getting one too but lately have been leaning towards a stand-up desk instead.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Be natural. Squat or stand.
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me.
    I found once I stop actively concentrating on my posture I slide into a comfortable but extremely slouched, slightly lop sided position, and that's not good at all.

Your mileage may vary but I think it's probably best to sit in a more supportive chair for the majority of the time and stretch out regularly.