Mexican Food lunch at work - What to order?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    fajitas... just eat the chicken and veggies, leave the tortilla,rice, beans, and sour cream for the next order.
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Order what you like! Eat half and take the leftovers for dinner. And/or burn the extra calories after work tonight!
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have grapefruit and that's great to add in, but definitely love the yogurt and granola idea better. I don't want to eat lunch starving and not be able to do good portion control.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Camarones cocktail
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    This is what to order based on what you posted....order the taco salad with the shredded chicken. No sour cream, no guacamole, and no shell. If you need a dressing just put salsa on it. Also, try to stay away from the chips too much.

absolutely nothing wrong w/having the guacamole (good fat) unless they add sour cream to it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Taco salad with no sour cream, and don't eat the shell. For the guacamole, yeah, it depends what they put in it...
  • ColoradoLes
    Options
    I usually go for fajitas or fish tacos (grilled/broiled). Opt for corn tortillas instead of flour if you can; limit the sour cream, cheese, and guac. Whole beans (or borracho) are better than refried.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I would plan ahead for those days. I usually plan my food the day before. If you have the advance notice, do your research and get something you like and plan the rest of your calories around it. It is not time to go crazy, but to indulge yourself a bit :)
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input. Luckily, we get the food to go and eat it at our office so I can DEFINITELY avoid the chips and salad because there won't be any. I also didn't consider the fact that a taco salad probably has a huge shell so I'm thinking taco salad without the shell or the tostada. I'm planning on eating half anyways and taking the rest for lunch the next day or for my husband. Appreciate your thoughts. And you're all right. I should still enjoy the foods I like. Might just need to add in some Jillian Michaels that night.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've found that most Mexican places that have a series of items where you choose chicken or beef will allow you to substitute extra fajita vegetables in for the meat.
  • Yliy
    Yliy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bummer that you don't like grilled veggies, I just had vegetable fajitas Sunday night that were amazing. But, good that you can avoid the chips, that's my downfall.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Once a month and it is just by chance that this time it is one of your favorites? You like grapefruit? Have that for breakfast. Plan a light dinner. Eat what you like for lunch that day, plug in the numbers and move on.

Grapefruit is not enough for breakfast...I would suggest yogurt with a sprinkle of low fat granola or an organic oatmeal packet (one of the brands with lower sugar). With coffee we're talking an under 200 calorie breakfast.

That's just silly! - What's wrong with a grapefruit? In fact, last night I ate a really huge dinner (going well over my totals for the day) and when I woke up this morning I wasn't hungry at all. Since I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat. My weekly calories will work out in the end.

That is what I meant. You can make the numbers work. you don't fail by going over one day to treat yourself. And you don't need to eat just because of numbers on the clock (days on the calendar, maybe, but shifting things around a few hours has no effect). The grapefruit was an example of the idea to not have much. Today I happen to be skipping lunch because of schedule issues. I ate a decent breakfast (usually I don't) and making it to dinner is no big deal.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    Order what you like! Eat half and take the leftovers for dinner. And/or burn the extra calories after work tonight!

This! Deprivation is no way to live.

Plus, if it's anything like the Mexican restaurants around here, it's going to be loaded with completely unreasonable amounts of sodium and you're going to hold a ton of water weight for two days, then have to pee like every 5 minutes on the second day as your body lets go of all of it :laugh: That's what happened to me last time we went to Casa Grande! So you're going to be annoyed at the scale in the morning regardless. May as well get your money's worth out of the experience :wink:
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This is what to order based on what you posted....order the taco salad with the shredded chicken. No sour cream, no guacamole, and no shell. If you need a dressing just put salsa on it. Also, try to stay away from the chips too much.

absolutely nothing wrong w/having the guacamole (good fat) unless they add sour cream to it.

For dieting / weight loss there really is nothing as "good fat". Fat is fat. Fit it with your macros. OP enjoy whatever you want but just cut back on your other daily food intake. If you are starving at night, cook a huge load of broccoli, and stuff your stomach ;)
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    I thought that I read most taco salads are in the upper 1200c range?!?

If I have to go to mexican for any reason, I get the chicken fajitas, and just eat what's on the skillet.

In general, just stay away from the typical buzz words like cheese, fried, sour cream, etc.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options

This! Deprivation is no way to live.

Plus, if it's anything like the Mexican restaurants around here, it's going to be loaded with completely unreasonable amounts of sodium and you're going to hold a ton of water weight for two days, then have to pee like every 5 minutes on the second day as your body lets go of all of it :laugh: That's what happened to me last time we went to Casa Grande! So you're going to be annoyed at the scale in the morning regardless. May as well get your money's worth out of the experience :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I thought that I read most taco salads are in the upper 1200c range?!?

If I have to go to mexican for any reason, I get the chicken fajitas, and just eat what's on the skillet.

In general, just stay away from the typical buzz words like cheese, fried, sour cream, etc.

It really depends what's in it, if there's dressing, how much cheese, how much sour cream and how the guacamole is made... The shell probably has 300 calories or something alone. I make my own salads and it's less than 500 calories.

The danger with the chicken fajitas is how much oil they're cooked with.