Anti Wheat?

Options

Replies

• KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've tried cutting out bread completely a few times. I just get super hungry and tired of spinach salads

I was the same when I first tried. I stuck to it and stuck to it and now I have 0 cravings for pasta or bread. Maybe once a fortnight I feel like pasta, so add a very small serving of GF pasta into a chicken dish. If you are having trouble making interesting meals put some protein in there! I make spinach + cabbage salads with lean ham and tomatoes, or grilled chicken and avocado. You honestly don't need these processed foods to feel full - it is simply you're body craving it our of habit.

It takes 3 weeks to bread a habit so they say... I used to be the kid who would lick their place clean of spaghetti bolognese, go back for seconds, and then snack on cold pasta just before brushing my teeth. How I only got to 160lb I don't know, I am lucky!

edit: don't forget, there are things that are very carby WITHOUT gluten like beans, rice (brown/white/red/black), potatoes, sweet potatoes... etc etc etc and these can help you too :)

Thanks! I've actually done okay with it in the past, I'll go one to three months without any bread, but will usually stumble around work lunches. I do eat a lot of grilled chicken and salmon. For almost a year, that was the only thing I could even think to order at restaurants along with water or lemonade. And mostly ate it at the house, too, LOL. Thanks, I had totally forgotten about the potatoes being an option. Sometimes, I feel like I am so focused on "Is this going to upset my stomach? Can I afford this?" That I can't even really focus as much as I want on losing weight. And, honestly, I don't really even understand how I've gained weight except that I used to have a more active job and now it's more of a desk job. The work lunches really kill me, though. I try to grill up chicken and prepare strawberry spinach chicken salads for them, but I usually tire of them. I also don't have a car so it can be a pain to walk with the container. (But I AM getting one within two weeks, so yay!) I wish we had a stove or something at work, I hate having to reheat stuff up. All we have is a microwave. I'm hoping I can start driving to my house and fixing food (it's only a five minute drive, but 15-20 minute walk and we only get 30 minute lunches). A ham and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich just seems so much easier to bring. But I don't want to eat TOO many of them.

I don't really like pasta that much except that it's cheap and convenient, but I have this weird thing where I can't eat foods with a lot of red sauce or I feel sick (weird, huh?).

Also, I will definitely try the cabbage out. I hadn't thought of that before. Sometimes I feel really limited because so much stuff seems to have lettuce in it and lettuce pretty much kills my stomach the way fried chicken does. Which I do NOT understand as I thought it was supposed to be super healthy. Thanks for the advice, def going to get some potatoes and some roma tomatoes (I forgot about those, I had been using strawberries and carrots so much, totally forgot about tomatoes. I ALSO forgot I could throw in ham instead of chicken, which will be a nice change!) Sorry, I'm rambling so much!!!!! I actually do pretty good for breakfast and dinner.

Something I do frequently for work is scramble eggs in the microwave. I use a glass bowl, olive oil spray, whatever fixings I want (cheese, olives, bacon, chicken, tomato, etc etc etc) add a bit of water to 3 eggs, whisk. Cook for 2 minutes, stir. Cook another minute. Done. <300 calorie lunch most days. Super easy and super cheap.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    8 out of 10 people have some sort of sensitivity of wheat and gluten- but few realize they do until they come off of it and find they feel better than they have in years- fatigue, brain fog, gas, bloating, heachaches, allergies , joint pain etc etc They had all their life was not normal.. That is reason enough to question whether wheat is good for anyone. I myself think it is 100% poison - read what belly, the paleo diet, and other resources on the subject.. watch fathead, google wheat , celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, depression, mental disorders and you'll see why I feel that way. Nothing wrong with cutting out the wheat for a few weeks and see for yourself if you don't feel 100% better.

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?

I too would like to see research on that.
    I remember looking at this a few years ago and it seems about 1% of the population has celiac and and other 1% have sensitivity issues.............lots of bandwagen jumping and of course ED's are abound with proclamations of food intolerance, avoidance and ethical reasoning.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    There just really aren't any hard fast answers.

The reasoning behind some of the 'concerns' about wheat are in the fact that what is currently available (or at least 90% of it) is a strain of wheat that was developed in the last 50 years by deliberately mutating seeds/seedlings through exposure to toxins so as to make it Round-Up resistant (round-up being the weed killer that was a prominent ingredient in Agent Orange), meaning they created a strain of wheat where you spray the herbicide Round-Up on the crop and the herbicide kills everything *but* the wheat. The theory goes that this has altered the gliadin protein in wheat, increasing the number of people who have developed sensitivities.

More recently they've gone from mutating (which for some reason is considered to be a 'natural' way of developing new strains and isn't required to be classified as "genetically modified" even though by definition it's being modified. FYI, this is not Mendelian hybridizing. We're talking about deliberately creating mutations in seeds/seedlings to see if they could create a herbicide resistant strain) to now out-and-out genetically modifying it (which, oddly enough, is actually *more* controlled than what they were doing when they were just exposing it to a poison to see what was randomly produced so as to create a herbicide resistant variety).

Now, is that an actual *problem*? Is it harmful?

That's the gray area where the controversies pop up.

Just in the last couple of weeks both Japan and South Korea have suspended importing U.S. wheat due to detection of it having been genetically modified --

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Japan+suspends+wheat+imports/8465979/story.html
    http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_23351614/usda-unapproved-modified-wheat-oregon-field
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/31/us-wheat-korea-idUSBRE94U0KW20130531

Now, if the question is whether there's any actual *proof* that this genetically modified wheat and its gliadin are actually harmful...

Well, first off it's a trademarked strain of wheat and because of that it's not released for independent study and the company that trademarked it isn't really all that willing to run (or release) tests themselves because -- why would they? They developed it for sale, it makes them money, and you don't want to look a money-creating horse in the mouth. You're not going to do much opposition research on your own product if you don't have to... and they aren't required to. So they don't. (Which doesn't mean that it is harmful or that it isn't. It just means there's not a whole lot of openly available research). In fact, at this point they've taken to actually suing farmers if their trademarked wheat naturally crossbreeds with other crops because they are that serious about their trademark.

So yeah, there are people who are concerned about wheat.

No, there is no verifiable evidence that there is actual reason to be concerned.

And that means that there's a whole lot of wiggle room here since there hasn't been a lot of independent testing of the current strains being produced.

Basically, there's just going to be a level of uncertainty here that we have to deal with and everyone has to make a choice for themselves.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    8 out of 10 people have some sort of sensitivity of wheat and gluten- but few realize they do until they come off of it and find they feel better than they have in years- fatigue, brain fog, gas, bloating, heachaches, allergies , joint pain etc etc They had all their life was not normal.. That is reason enough to question whether wheat is good for anyone. I myself think it is 100% poison - read what belly, the paleo diet, and other resources on the subject.. watch fathead, google wheat , celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, depression, mental disorders and you'll see why I feel that way. Nothing wrong with cutting out the wheat for a few weeks and see for yourself if you don't feel 100% better.

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?
    these are the current numbers in celiac disease/gluten inolerance research. google it-
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?
    these are the current numbers in celiac disease/gluten inolerance research. google it-

I did, and posted the results above. These are not reputable sources. If you make the claim, you should be able to back it up.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Beware of the box of death:
    gluten.jpg

They should put warnings on the box, just like cigarettes....

I've got two boxes of death in my fridge right now. Won't make wheat bread without it. Mmmmm, gluten.

delicious.gif
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just got the book Wheat Belly, I have been hearing alot about GMos and personally dont know what is good and what is bad anymore. I have been just trying to cut back on my bread intake and carbs, its hard I am italian and love carbs :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Go 1 week without eating it, and then have a big *kitten* sandwich or bowl of cereal and find out how it makes you feel. I eat based on how food makes me feel now.

This is why my lunch today is hotdogs and a bear claw. It makes me feel good.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I've always had issues with bloating. After reading Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis it clicked that wheat may be causing the bloat and I cut most of it out a couple months ago. I've noticed a big difference since then, so I avoid eating large quantities of it. I can eat a cookie and not have problems, but if I eat a couple slices of pizza or a bowl of pasta the bloat hits hard. I'm not anti-wheat, but it's just not a good fit for my body.

Same for me...in addition to issues regarding GMOs. I have found that i just feel much better w/o it in my diet. I will have it occasionally, but pretty much just stick to meats and veggies/fruits these days.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Beware of the box of death:
    gluten.jpg

They should put warnings on the box, just like cigarettes....
    is that you doing that strange/absurd plank thing?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Actually i've seen results too. One of my friends was having stomach problems and found out they were alergic to wheat.
    They stopped eating it and dropped weight instantly, at least 10 pounds in 2 months, without changing anything else.

So although I agree that Dr. Oz throws a lot of information at you and you have to decide what you believe...

I also have noticed that things with wheat tend to be high calorie and have an addictive aspect to it. I always want to continue eating and tend to overeate when I incorporate wheat into my diet.

Wheat is not what it used to be in the 1990's. It is genetically modified "wheat."

Up to you though

Your friend is allergic. Clearly it makes sense for them to avoid wheat.
    I would question the part about nothing else changing though. Dropping wheat very likely changed the balance of what they were eating. It may have basically put them on a low carb diet where carbs previously made up a large portion of their calories. If I'm a pizza eater 5 days a week and I give up wheat, it seems likely that my total caloric intake would drop. So, maybe it was allergies, maybe it was just a change that resulted in eating fewer high calorie foods.
    Either way, I'm glad for your friend, but that doesn't indicate that wheat is in any way unhealthy.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I think people say a lot of asinine things
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    all I have to say is...Fu*K wheat. Cause F#@k acne. I cut out wheat and my lifelong battle of acne went away.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?

The current numbers on the validity of random information found on the internet indicate that 83.789% is made up BS (including the number I just used).
    If you make an assertion of fact, the burden of proof is on you.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It's one of the top inflammatory foods, so if you already have inflammation somewhere it's good to avoid it. My girlfriend doesn't have a gluten intolerance or Celiac, but her doctor advised her to cut out wheat to reduce the inflammation in her brain. Of course I can't help but wonder what happens if you eat bread with olive oil (an anti-inflammatory).
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Every time I stall, I stop eating bread, and PRESTO! the weight starts coming off again. It's a miracle. So, for MY body, it absolutely makes a difference. Obviously, my body has some sort of issue with it because I still have quinoa, brown rice and fruit :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of information for both sides and do not wish to argue. I have lost most of my weight following a rediuced calorie diet. I was recently requested by my new Dr. to try a grain free diet such as Paleo. I was on for a week, and went off on the memorial day holiday, now am back on paleo. I see a significant change in my blood sugar without wheat and other white carbs. I can stay within my target range with calories but my blood glucose was still in the danger zone. One day back on paleo and it has reduced by at least 60 points. I also quit craving carbohydrates after the first three days.

I will admit it is slightly difficult at first. It took me a bit to get my head around planning my meals without the use of starch.

Good luck in your journey whatever you decide.
  • isLillyMarieS
    Options
    I heard my coworkers talk about how all the chemicals and the process of making whole grain. They now say because of that process. White bread is better for you than wheat. That's cool by me since I hate wheat anyways lol
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    everyone has their own hang ups on whats good and bad. there are anti meat. anti dairy. anti grain. anti processed. anti sugar. anti carb. anti fat / pro fat, and on and on and on... weight loss is pretty simple, eat what you want or what you like, in moderation, and make sure the amount of calories you take in are in a deficit of what you put out.