deadlift form help!

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
A friend of mine just starting lifting with me. Today I had her do her very first dead lift (we started with just the bar since she is 32 and has never in her life lifted weights or played any sports...she's basically been a couch potato her whole life.) She started out great with her form...butt down, back neutral, feet shoulder width apart. She was fine until she started putting the bar down (on some steps from aerobics class)....she would round her back horribly once the bar got to right above her knees. I told her to keep it flat, head neutral, don't drop her shoulders, etc... I put my hand on her back to keep her lower back flat and that helped until she got the bar below her knees. Then nothing I did or said helped.

What can I do to teach her properly? She has watched some youtube videos (mark rippetoe and one other but I forget his name). I demonstrated proper form today too, so she has seen what it is supposed to look like. The weight isn't an issue...she is lifting it fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like she has a weak core, which is to be expected. When I deadlift, I drop the bar quickly, rounded back be damned, in order to prevent unnecessary stress. Then I quickly set back up and go to my next rep.

Also, her feet should be closer together.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Like Whierd said...that's core strength there. If she's rounding, have her lower the bar to something higher than an aerobic step. Her hamstrings could be tight too and she's not getting that butt back enough and chest up and over the bar to keep the form good down low which isn't uncommon in new lifting.

And feet...hip width apart.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Going from the way you described her, weak core.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    have her pick a spot on the wall and stare at it.. like almost to the ceiling
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    wondering if a sumo deadlift would be better...much wider foot stance, might make it harder to round her back.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I will try the sumo deadlift with her and also do some more core work...planks and maybe good mornings?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The form for going back down should be about the same as going up, just in reverse. You don't really start to straighten out until you get the bar above your knees, then your butt comes forward and your straighten out. On the way back down, you'll have to start by pushing the hips back some, bending the legs a little, and once you are past the knees again, you're basically home free. If you were looking at the path of the bar from the side, it wouldn't be exactly straight up and down. It has a little bit of an S to it.

Also, if you were starting her out on just the bar, did you prop that up or did she start from basically the floor? I don't know how that would affect her situation, but it might be something to consider.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    a lot of this depends on limb lengths and proportions - if she has super long legs, she may not be able to maintain a neutral back, also an aerobic step is still probably lower then a 20kg plate would have the bar at, so she may be doing a sort of deficit.

you could try sumo if her leg length is much greater then the torso, but even when doing conventional the feet shouldn't really be shoulder with apart they should be a little bit inside of that.

It's also just awkward initially for her I'm sure, just keep at it and keep it light till it looks proper - kudos to her for giving it a go though!!
  • mkakids
    Options
    a lot of this depends on limb lengths and proportions - if she has super long legs, she may not be able to maintain a neutral back, also an aerobic step is still probably lower then a 20kg plate would have the bar at, so she may be doing a sort of deficit.

you could try sumo if her leg length is much greater then the torso, but even when doing conventional the feet shouldn't really be shoulder with apart they should be a little bit inside of that.

It's also just awkward initially for her I'm sure, just keep at it and keep it light till it looks proper - kudos to her for giving it a go though!!

The step was with risers....same height as a 45lb plate. She also doesn't have super long legs. I'm sure it will get easier as she gets used to the motion too.