P90X, insanity, Zumba, Jullian Micheals body revolution

Options
I am looking at buying some workout DVD and wanted to see what everyone is using and why. I think I am leaning more towards the Zumba because my 9 year old told me he would do it with me but I want and need something that I enjoy and the dvd aren't that long given I only have about 45 minutes a night to workout. So any input would be awesome. Thanks

Replies

• rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    P90x workouts are ~55 minutes long. I don't think your 9 year old would like them; they are pretty intense weight workouts for a young one.

Go to the library and check out a few zumba dvds and see if you can find one you both like.
  • MaTaylor30
    MaTaylor30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! He did Zumba at school and really enjoys it but in the end I am doing this for me and need something for me and if happens to be Zumba I would be happy that he gets to work out with me
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Tried the P90X thing last summer and it was not enjoyable. Doing it every day for an hour was just not a good fit for me. I also didn't notice any difference and continued to gain throughout-I did it last summer for several months and hit my highest weight ever in October. Also, my bil did it, even followed the nutrition plan/bought the supplements that were recommended etc. He did have noticeable difference-until he finished the program and he lost all the benefits. He's now at his heaviest and keeps saying he needs to do it again, but I wonder what will be different this time? (and he spent a lot of money buying the extras the first time around).

I looked into the Insanity program but again-every day is just too extreme for me. I now do Mark Lauren's strength training program, from his book Body By You (30 minutes a time/3 days a week), and then walk a couple miles most nights. My body is in the best shape its ever been and I'm not spending a lot of time working on it :)
  • Lisalisaw4
    Lisalisaw4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Zumba is good for a low impact video... but if you're looking to change your body I would recommend Jillian's body revolution. It's only thirty minutes but it really changes the way your body looks! I am only six weeks in and the changes are staggering!! I have definition and I am smaller all over. If you're going to put the time in I would go for results!!
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you want your 9 year old to be able to join in get Zumba, it's a fun workout and you do sweat but it's not as intense as the others. I'm doing Insanity right now and it's the hardest work out I've ever done and it's also 55 minutes by month 2. I also tried 30DS and while I liked the results I saw in 2 weeks I found it very boring and repeptive to do every day. I've seen people have great results with Zumba even though it's lower impact.
  • jenniferanne222
    jenniferanne222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have done p90X and Insanity both a couple of times through. Love them, but I definitely don't recommend them if you want to work out with your young one - they are pretty intense. Insanity involves a ton of jumping exercises and it can be easy to injure oneself if the moves aren't completed correctly. I think Zumba would be a fun routine to enjoy with your little one - what's important is to choose something you are going to enjoy and want to stick with :) Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Anyone who tells you that P90X, Insanity, Zumba, and JMBR are for the same goals is a fool. And before anyone can answer this question you should be up front with us about your goals. Anyone who answers the question without knowing that doesn't know what they're talking about.