Husband left for boot camp - gone for 9 months

Options
I'm looking for some support and maybe some resources of other websites I should look into. My husband left for boot camp and job training on Sunday. He will be gone for 9 months. I'm having a much harder time with this than I thought I would. We are not what I would consider your typical situation. We are both in our mid 30s, I have 2 children 16 and 11, we own a home and I work full time, plus a part time job. When we were making all of the arrangements and having the discussions, 9 months didn't seem terrible. Now that he is gone it feels like it is going to be forever. We both work at the same company so I have people at work asking me about him, and there are memories there as well as at home. I'm just really struggling keeping it together, and he's only been gone 4 days. My emotions are all over the board; anger included! I shouldn't be mad at him, he's making such a sacrifice for our family and for our country, and I know this isn't an action of intent to hurt.

Anyone else been through this and can help share some words of advice?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Look into military one source for some counseling for yourself and support for your family.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am so sorry! I cannot imagine what you are going through. Take it one day at a time. Also please know I appreciate the sacrifice you are both making. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    May I say thank you. Yes your husband is the one serving, but so are you in a way. My best friend in college is the wife of a marine, and I know how hard things are for her when he goes on tour.

I have NOT gone through this, but I'll be here as a venting board and support, if you want it. The best advice I can give that I've given my college friend, is one day at a time. Some days will seem to fly by, others you will be sad he left you with everything to do, other days you will want to curse him and say to hell with this why am I doing everything?

One day at a time.

MFP is a great community and I'm sure you will find others who have/had gone through this who can give advice by living through it, which is better than I can do, I know. But just wanted you to know I did see this and I will be thinking of you (positive vibes, praying, whatever you believe in.)

:flowerforyou:
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    -raises hand- Military spouse here!

I'm going to be honest: There is no cure for the heartache of missing a spouse who is deployed somewhere else.

But there are ways to manage it! Countdowns are obviously the most helpful for visually minded people. Like making paper chains...one link for each day. I know that for 9 months that's a crapton of links and it might not look pretty on your wall but taking one of each day is a great reminder that you have one less day between you and your reunion.

Write letters when available. Always.

And definitely look into a spousal support group. There are many spouses who get together a few times a week/month to just chat and be there for each other. Craft nights, book clubs, movie outings...you name it! They know where you are and they can help.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. And yes it's 100% normal to feel angry toward him for "leaving" you. I sobbed hysterically for 3 days straight when my husband left on that boot camp bus.

If you need anything feel free to message me!
  • KansasRider
    KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    it's all pretty raw right now. focus on YOUR mission. allow yourself to miss him but don't well on it.. no obsessing. HUGS
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My situation wasn't the same, but my boyfriend and I were forced to do long distance for about six months due to work. The first couple of weeks I was insanely emotional and unhappy, but I slowly adjusted. It's hard at first because such a big part of your life is suddenly not where it's supposed to be, but it will get easier as time goes on and you get used to functioning without him around.

Thank you for your family's service!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your wonderful replies. I will check into those websites as well as some support groups in my area. Not having grown up around anyone who served, I have no idea how to deal with this or where to start looking. I appreciate your kindness!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are about to become a part of a very elite group of women. The military spouse, there has been a long line of special women that have come before you, paving the way, doing a job that not many are cut out for, and you will help to pave the way for those special women that come after you.

The military spouse is one job that requires a special type of woman to endure over the long haul of a career. You will do a job that we as current and retired military members can only salute you in our hearts and with a smile on our faces, and say thank you with all the gratitude that we can muster, knowing that the job that you do and the tasks you endure at home while your husband is away defending the freedom of a nation are not a job for most. You will be one of America’s unsung heroes at home, doing a job that you won’t be paid for, most other women will have no idea what you have to endure, nor understand the commitment required, and the strength that will be needed to keep a house running smoothly, maintain a day to day schedule, and perform a whole list of other jobs that would make most cringe, but you have the support of others that have strength to lend to you in the beginning, you won’t walk alone. Just as you grow and evolve, you will lend your strength to those that come after you.

I, along with my brothers and sisters in arms can only say, as I said to my wife, thank you. Thank you for making the choice to stand with your serviceman, rather than running from the challenge.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want! My husband is in the Navy and we've been through 6 deployments together and countless underways. The first month or so is always the most difficult, and then you kind of fall into a routine where it can become a bit easier. The best thing I can recommend is to keep as busy as possible and surround yourself with postive friends and family, so the time flies a lot faster. Best of luck to you both!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I was a military wife too; husband is no longer active duty. I was 24 when he joined and we lived together at the time. Obviously it's different without kids, but I feel like every military spouse understands. During boot camp, I wrote a letter every day. It was my way of talking to him; just like I was having a conversation. I moved in with two roommates and they would make fun of me for writing every night, but it helped. He got more letters than anyone. :)

My husband was gone for 8 months, 8 weeks for boot and 6 months for A-School. Honestly, you get used to it. You have to go on with your days like you normally would. The night time right before bed was the worst, because that was always our "catch up on our day" time and Sundays were bad for me because it was our lazy day together.

I definitely had my angry days, not necessarily at him, but at the fact that I had to be alone and deal with our normal life, bills, cat, etc while he was away. It's normal, being a military spouse is not for everyone. It's extremely hard. You can call him after boot camp right? My husband was in CA and I was in FL, so the time difference was hard, but it's great to at least be able to communicate. Skype wasn't invented back then; but it's a great tool now!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's no right or wrong way to deal.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oh hang in there. I have been there as well when my husband left for boot 3 years ago. I decided to make it my goal to lose weight while he was gone and surprise him when he returned. I managed to lose 30 during those 9 months. It is hard but as someone else said, writing helps. I kept a journal book with me and when I had time, I would sit down and write him what was going on. Then once I could send letters, he got a crap load.

Definately find a support group near you or even just a few strong friends to help you. You will feel down and angry some days but you will adjust. I had a harder time adjusting to sharing the bed when he got home.

Feel free to send a FR. You aren't alone in this
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a military wife of 8 yrs. This lifestyle is tough but it truly makes you stronger. Keep busy if you can, makes the time go faster. Get some military wife friends that understand what you're going thru and depend on your support system - family, friends, etc. You aren't alone! Feel free to add me...
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing computer programming in Australia for 9 months. It was a PITA. Keeping busy was a good way to stay sane. There is always MFP to help too. *HUGS*
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the support. I am feeling a little better today. One statement that really helped, was "there's not right or wrong way to deal". I felt silly for being emotional and upset, like I had to hide it, and that was making it worse.

His box of belongings came today. I haven't opened it yet. Anything I should prepare myself for?? Or will it just be his clothes that he wore?

I don't understand why they have to send their clothes back and can't bring any pictures or anything with them, but when I get his address, I can send pictures?