Beyond the Scale

Options
bhdon
bhdon Posts: 117 Member
April 1st of this year was when I made the decision to put some serious focus on improving my health. Since then, I'm down 25 pounds. Sometimes, the snarky little naysayer in my head minimizes it, and says with a snort "25 pounds isn't much" . So, I find and lift something that weighs 25 pounds, and envision carrying it around all day every day. That shuts up the 'naysayer' and helps me realize what a relief and gift it is to have been able to put that 25 pounds down!! But I'd also like to make note of a few other gifts beyond the scale that have showed up, with the loss of 'just' 25 pounds:

- more energy when I wake up in the morning
- my endurance has greatly improved
- my skin is softer
- my hair is shinier
- my eyes are clearer
- my hair and nails grow faster
- my skin heals more quickly.
- I sleep better at night
- a red zip-up jacket that I haven't been able to zip up for over 10 years - is now easily zip-able
- jeans are now a realistic option
- I can put on my socks and tie my shoes without holding my breath
- I have less arthritis pain
- less indigestion and acid reflux
- seat belts that were too tight before snap right into place
- I saw a hint of a jaw line in the mirror two mornings ago
- I'm wanting salads over entree's when we eat out, with feelings of desire versus deprivation.
- a realization that there's an entire community of people here on MFP who have a wealth of knowledge,
useful suggestions, much needed support and inspiration to offer.
- feelings of hope ( that I can do this) and confidence ( that I am worth it) are on the rise, and the 'snarky little naysayer' in my head is now in rehab for his crimes.

The efforts of the last ten weeks have brought about some nice benefits. I still have a long way to go. I'd like to eventually lose 100 pounds. Right now I can only imagine the list of benefits then. But today, I'm 25% of the way to that goal. I'm posting this to hopefully give back in some small way - because I really appreciate reading your scale and non-scale victories, as well as your suggestions on what you do to help you stay on track and how you maneuver the changes that occur along the way. Thanks for taking time to post your experiences, because it's helped me get this far. And special thanks to my husband, kids and their spouses, for their continuing example, encouragement and support.

Age - 60 Ht: 5'5"
SW: 257 and climbing ( April 1, 2013)
CW: 232 ( June 6, 2013)
First GW: 200
Second GW: 157
GW: 157

Replies

• robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This brings me so much joy and inspires me greatly.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad. Thanks, Robin. for lots of different reasons. :-)