C25K

Options
Hello- this is my first post on this site so I hope it turns out okay. I have recently started the C25K program and am having issues with my lower back and hip flexors. Does anyone have any stretching suggestions or suggestions in general? I am on week 2 run 2 today. I will continue but I am hoping that someone will have some advice for me to make it less painful. Thanks so much!

Replies

• runsandjumps
    runsandjumps Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloways runs. He has a great app. I was on week 6 with another program when I developed shin splints.
    I am now on week 8 day 2 with the Jeff Galloway app and shin splint free. The run/ walk method works best for me. And my time isn't too much longer either!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just finished yesterday!! I also noticed a pain in my lower back at one point...that's bad running form. concentrate on not pounding your feet. It should be almost like a glide or think "light on the toes". That will help fix that! if not, look into getting some good running shoes. I went to a running shoe store and had a gait test done. The right shoes make it so much easier! also general tips:

1. Lots of water on days between and days of. Being well hydrated makes all the difference in the world.
    2. Eat a light snack before going out for your run (about 30 minutes before). I found that a banana was perfect!
    3. Keep motivating self talk going! Don't say "omg! I don't think I can make it!" rather think, "Make it to that tree up a head!" (if outside).
    4. Push yourself out of your comfort zone, in particular into week 5. W5D3 is probably the scariest run. Trust the training, because I promise you can do it! Slow and steady!
    5. Day 1 of every week will be the absolute hardest. Day three will still be a challenge, but manageable!

I started off having never run more than a mile in my life, and the last time I did that I was in middle school. Yesterday I ran 2.75miles in 30 minutes. I'm still a bigger gal, so trust me it is totally possible and worth it! I've never been prouder in my life!
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just finished yesterday!! I also noticed a pain in my lower back at one point...that's bad running form. concentrate on not pounding your feet. It should be almost like a glide or think "light on the toes". That will help fix that! if not, look into getting some good running shoes. I went to a running shoe store and had a gait test done. The right shoes make it so much easier! also general tips:

1. Lots of water on days between and days of. Being well hydrated makes all the difference in the world.
    2. Eat a light snack before going out for your run (about 30 minutes before). I found that a banana was perfect!
    3. Keep motivating self talk going! Don't say "omg! I don't think I can make it!" rather think, "Make it to that tree up a head!" (if outside).
    4. Push yourself out of your comfort zone, in particular into week 5. W5D3 is probably the scariest run. Trust the training, because I promise you can do it! Slow and steady!
    5. Day 1 of every week will be the absolute hardest. Day three will still be a challenge, but manageable!

I started off having never run more than a mile in my life, and the last time I did that I was in middle school. Yesterday I ran 2.75miles in 30 minutes. I'm still a bigger gal, so trust me it is totally possible and worth it! I've never been prouder in my life!

All of this!

I used the C25K program and ran my first 5k this morning.

AND

After your five minute warm up. Stop and stretch. Stretching cold can damage muscles more. I will bend over and put my palms flat on the ground, I lunge forward and side to side. The best one for my issues was a butterfly stretch. You put the soles of your shoes together and tuck your feet close to your body. These helped me tremendously.

Before stretching I wasn't in a ton of pain except for in my groin. I did some research and found that it was my body's way of strengthening and perfecting my gait. I love it. Keep going!
  • sbandjh
    sbandjh Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I am really enjoying the program so far and it has greatly increased my energy, I do have another question. I am doing this on a treadmill and wonder what speed you all started on for the first few runs(my brisk walk in @ 3.0 mph) Thanks again!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I am really enjoying the program so far and it has greatly increased my energy, I do have another question. I am doing this on a treadmill and wonder what speed you all started on for the first few runs(my brisk walk in @ 3.0 mph) Thanks again!

I just started this too. Today was Week 1, Day 2 for me.
    I also run on the treadmill.
    I do my brisk walk at 3.5, run at 6.0, and walk in between at 3.6.

I was going to do the program 2 months ago, but I needed to wait to get new sneakers. The ones I had were a few years old and would have probably done some damage to my body if I ran in them.

PS - I stretch for 7-10 minutes after running. It feels AWESOME. haha

The first week is nice because you only run for 60 seconds at a time. When I feel like it's getting "challenging" I look and see I only have 20 more seconds! I can handle that. Then I look again, it's at 12, so close!! Finally it's at 2 and my finger is above the button to drop the speed down to a nice brisk walk. haha

Also, make sure to pay attention to your breathing. :smile:
  • sbandjh
    sbandjh Posts: 17
    Options
    thank you! 6.0- you are a beast. I was feeling the burn @4.8 ...