Big-Framed, Big-Boned, etc.

Options
Am I the only person that rolls their eyes when someone refers to themselves as "big-framed" or "big-boned"? I swear I see so many posters here and people in real life say "oh, I'm big-boned". No. You are a fat *kitten*. Put down the twinkie.

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No. You aren't alone. It's just one of the excuses people have for being fat. I used it. Come to find out after losing 40 pounds and 5 pant sizes, I really was just fat. Not big boned, not too tall to be a size 6... I also used the "I don't care, I'm too busy, I like beer too much, I'm lazy and the great "I don't eat THAT bad" excuses.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Nooo there is such a thing as being large framed. Research it. Don't be mean. I have a friend that is the same weight as me but is small framed and for her to be at her goal weight would be 127 for me to be at mine would be 155...If I were 127 I would look sick!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No. You aren't alone. It's just one of the excuses people have for being fat. I used it. Come to find out after losing 40 pounds and 5 pant sizes, I really was just fat. Not big boned, not too tall to be a size 6... I also used the "I don't care, I'm too busy, I like beer too much, I'm lazy and the great "I don't eat THAT bad" excuses.

^^ I used these excuses too. I had one for every angle. I still need to lose 20 pounds or so and am already a size 9. Big boned was my favorite excuse. "Big boned like my dad" was my saying. In reality is we both just needed to lose weight.
  • ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yea most of the time it is used for an excuse, But there are people who have bigger bones and frames then the average woman but you can tell by their shape and what they look like (thick woman).. But if you have a gut and rolls and flabby fat everywhere yet your ashamed to admit that your fat well then you must be dumb and think that the world is blind because we can see what you see!
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    Yes it is annoying if it is used as an excuse, but bone structure can vary from person to person. I am thin, but will never be tiny because I do have a larger frame.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Fat rolls are fat rolls, and bones have nothing to do with them. Just another excuse people have to make them feel better about not being healthy or making an effort to get healthy.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options

Seems legit. And by that I mean that body frame calculator is complete horse s***.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I thought that I was bigger framed and my friend at work said that it's bull****. She was right. I am wearing size 4's now. I was just fatter.
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would have been the right weight if I was eight feet tall! :)
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Yea most of the time it is used for an excuse, But there are people who have bigger bones and frames then the average woman but you can tell by their shape and what they look like (thick woman)..

Um, no. Just no.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I know several people who are really bigger framed and are that way due to genetics. My daughter's friend (she's 7yrs old) was big from the day she was born, but she's not overweight. Her dad is built like a football player and she takes after him. She's like twice the size of the kids in her class and looks way older than she actually is. It's just how she's made :) But, I'm sure some people use this as an excuse to justify being overweight.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    To a certain extent a definitely agree with you, it's just excuses. However I feel like genetics really do take a part in how much muscle and weight in general the person has. For example I'm 5'3 and most girls at that height are fairly petite, however my family is much more "stocky" so in turn I just happen to have bigger muscles and an overall bigger frame. Of course I'm not going to use that for an excuse to be a little porky.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    DEXA-Female-Male.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a big head, big feet, broad shoulders, big hips, big rib cage, big hands. I'm on the upper end of a health BMI with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. Yes. I am a have a "large frame". I am not fat. I also don't like Twinkies. I'm 5'9", 163lbs.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Girls tell me all the time I'm 'big boned'.

I wasn't aware they were calling me fat.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options

Seems legit. And by that I mean that body frame calculator is complete horse s***.

You are an *kitten*! Plain and simple. I never refer to myself as large framed but I do know that by heybales spreadsheet, he says I am by all my measurements. I do not use that as an excuse though. I don't have fat rolls and I'm certainly not sitting here eating a twinkie...like ever.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I thought that I was bigger framed and my friend at work said that it's bull****. She was right. I am wearing size 4's now. I was just fatter.

Yeah the reason why people believe the frame myth is because people gain their weight differently. Some develop a layer of fat that pretty much covers their whole body giving the illusion that they are larger framed then someone who gains their fat in specific areas.... like the mid section or bottom or chest.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options
    I have a big head, big feet, broad shoulders, big hips, big rib cage, big hands. I'm on the upper end of a health BMI with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. Yes. I am a have a "large frame". I am not fat. I also don't like Twinkies. I'm 5'9", 163lbs.

Thank you!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg
This discussion has been closed.