Big-Framed, Big-Boned, etc.

Options
2»

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Pointless thread; there is a difference between fat and frame size.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Yea most of the time it is used for an excuse, But there are people who have bigger bones and frames then the average woman but you can tell by their shape and what they look like (thick woman)..

Um, no. Just no.

Looks like we have a medical expert here, folks!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I am overweight now but even before that I was taller and had broader shoulders and hips, thicker wrists and bigger hands, longer legs than my we little friends did. Hence, my frame, was larger... Good thing I have awesome boobs or I'd look rather masculine.

Now dont get me started on the ladies with curves thing :wink:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you say, I am Big-Boned.... However, I readily acknowledge that I carry a lot of bodyfat on these big bones, but it's a LOT less than it was 14 mos ago.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a big head, big feet, broad shoulders, big hips, big rib cage, big hands. I'm on the upper end of a health BMI with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. Yes. I am a have a "large frame". I am not fat. I also don't like Twinkies. I'm 5'9", 163lbs.

At 5'9" you sound proportionate at 163 to me. 5'9" is tall for a female so I would expect you to weigh more and have bigger feet and hands... etc. BMI is not accurate for people with high % LBM.

I don't think you are who this thread is directed at. I think he is talking about the people that use this excuse to justify an unhealthy weight which I use to be one of.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

OF COURSE THERE IS! I believe, however, the point of the thread was that women use this interchangeably when in fact their skelatal frame size is NOT larger.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Girls tell me all the time I'm 'big boned'.

I wasn't aware they were calling me fat.

(giggle)
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    People absolutely have different body frame sizes. My friend and I are the same height and about 10 pounds different in weight, yet my shoulders are much broader than hers. Her rib cage is about 4 inches larger around than mine. If she were to try on one of my hats, it wouldn't even go down an inch on her head.

Yes, some people use "I'm big boned" as an excuse for carrying around extra weight. But to say that everyone's skeletal frame size/bone sizes are equal is a little nuts.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the dimension we're talking about. Sometimes it is necessary to remind people that there aren't any bones in the front of their belly or that that the thighbone is in the center of the leg and, therefore, frame size won't account for the majority the diameter of those areas.

But I have come across it on occasion. In high school, I had a friend who looked like he could be fat. But when we were horsing around (I don't remember if we were comparing martial arts or emulating Dragon Ball Z...), I found ribs in the front of his chest where I'd have expected there would be fat. So I figure he had something close to a barrel chest:

http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/109/flashcards/1578109/png/barrel_chest1349623083612.png

Then there are other instances. My brother, for example, can pretty much hide behind me because my frame is wider, laterally, than his. My shoulders are broader. My hips are broader.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Girls tell me all the time I'm 'big boned'.

I wasn't aware they were calling me fat.

How U doin :blushing:
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

OF COURSE THERE IS! I believe, however, the point of the thread was that women use this interchangeably when in fact their skelatal frame size is NOT larger.

I agree. I am definitely not "big boned". I am fat. Less fat now, but still fat. When I reach my goal weight (actually even before that) I won't look like I have a large frame at all because I won't be fat.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Why would you care what other people want to call themselves?

tumblr_mljb87qQlc1s49bnvo1_r2_500.gif
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a larger frame and I'm not particularly fat. I wear a UK 12, US8. Actually the dress in my profile pic is a 6. I'm 5'6 and 157lbs. People are often surprised at how much I weigh. I have wide hips, which is fine because it's enabled me to have 2 babies naturally and easily and not even need stitches!

I don't have much fat around my natural waist and I don't think it could get more than about 2 inches smaller, so I doubt I could be any smaller than a 6.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes if it's obvious that they're just obese and use it as an excuse. I actually am medium-large framed, that's not going to change much just because I lose weight. The only thing that changed is my shape/measurements (went from round to square and hope to be closer to hourglass by the end), that number on the scale and my health and fitness levels.

TL:DR - It's one thing to know your body shape/frame and other to use it as an excuse not to do something about your health.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I think people have different frames and builds. I freely admit that I'm overweight, but I'm also taller than average and naturally stronger than average. Since I was young, I've been able to lift more than other girls and I've had a few accidents where people have been very suprised I've not broken bones, but I've walked away with bruising or sprains. My size is reflected in my BMI calculation, where I can be a healthy BMI weighing quite a bit more than a shorter woman. So I don't think it is always an excuse.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a big head, big feet, broad shoulders, big hips, big rib cage, big hands. I'm on the upper end of a health BMI with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. Yes. I am a have a "large frame". I am not fat. I also don't like Twinkies. I'm 5'9", 163lbs.

At 5'9" you sound proportionate at 163 to me. 5'9" is tall for a female so I would expect you to weigh more and have bigger feet and hands... etc. BMI is not accurate for people with high % LBM.

I don't think you are who this thread is directed at. I think he is talking about the people that use this excuse to justify an unhealthy weight which I use to be one of.

While this thread was not directed at me, it's important to note that there is such a thing as frame size. I have a friend who is also 5'9" and 110lbs. She would be pretty overweight at 165lbs due to her tiny frame size.

But no, no one shouldn't use a larger frame as an excuse to carry a higher than healthy body fat percentage.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    At 16-18% body fat, and 132 lbs/5'5, I am still a size 12 suit jacket, because my shoulder points (bones) are 15.5" inches from one to the other. The average woman is 14" at the shoulder points. The average man is 15.

I have a large frame. I am also, currently, fat at 150 lbs and 25% body fat. However, even in the athletic range of lean, I do not have a small frame.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/484806-the-average-shoulder-width-for-females/

Yes. Some of us just have larger frames.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You are a mean douche.
    Over.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am not big boned but i do have a broad frame (shoulders and hips), thanks to my dad. So naturally i can not weigh what a petite girl of my height would weigh if we were both in a healthy range.
    I'm 6 feet and there are women who are small framed at that height who weigh 135-145 (catwalk material) and then there are women like me who are wide framed and weigh in the 170's. I am healthy and certainly far from over weight. The skinniest adult weight i have ever been is 168 and i looked sick..... heroin addict sick.
    Its just how it works.

but the ones who are over weight and protest that they are big boned... yes... it's a little frustrating to hear that as their excuse.
  • JuicyGyrl
    JuicyGyrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LOL. . .I have been called big boned too many times to remember and it really annoys me!!! My response is, "I don't have bones in my stomach!" Some people are naturally big-boned, but that is no excuse to be fat.
This discussion has been closed.