I did not Know

Vanessa1977
Vanessa1977 Posts: 101
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
1. I did not know that once I adjusted to regular portion sizes I would feel full sooner. Today I got pizza with the kids for lunch, a pizza parlor we are very familiar with, we ordered the same pizza we always do. I usually can easily finish off four slices and some fries before I get so uncomfortable I can not finish another bite. Today before I finished my second slice I was plenty full and I stopped at the second slice, no french fries either. I didn't feel deprived at all.

I also now give myself permission to have one mt dew a day, because I wait to have it until lunch and I take the time to appreciate it, rather then just gulp it down, I feel satisfied with that one. And I can stay satisfied with having just that one.

Share something you have learned recently about adjusting your eating habits/style

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    I tried a new (to me) instant oatmeal put out by Quaker. Still too much freakin sodium, but this one has a whole lot more soluble fibre and insoluble fibre and, more interestingly, a bunch of protein from included soy! They're calling this thing a "weight control" oatmeal as opposed to "reduced sugar". It was a BUNCH of fibre and didn't taste half bad.

Between that 150 cal bowl and my beer-mug latte, I felt absolutely stuffed.

Actually it was a bit more than I wanted, but that in itself was a "I did not know"

Mirii
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Congrats, Vanessa! I also found it wonderful and amazing to really focus in on how I felt as I was eating. I need to pay attention to the "experience". It sounds kinda' corny, but when I do that, I find I have a similar experience to yours.

Kudos to you & keep up the great work.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    1. I did not know that once I adjusted to regular portion sizes I would feel full sooner. Today I got pizza with the kids for lunch, a pizza parlor we are very familiar with, we ordered the same pizza we always do. I usually can easily finish off four slices and some fries before I get so uncomfortable I can not finish another bite. Today before I finished my second slice I was plenty full and I stopped at the second slice, no french fries either. I didn't feel deprived at all.

I also now give myself permission to have one mt dew a day, because I wait to have it until lunch and I take the time to appreciate it, rather then just gulp it down, I feel satisfied with that one. And I can stay satisfied with having just that one.

Share something you have learned recently about adjusting your eating habits/style

I've eased up on my very restrictive eating plan. I was beginning to miss out on family events and restaurant outings with my kids, because I have to eat a certain food at a certain time, otherwise...I don't know, I guess I igured i'd blow up or something. I was getting a little OCD about the whole carb/protein thing, now I allow myself to order off the menu, and enjoy my family, I was actually at the point of being embarrassed to go out because I had to pack my own food....silly really, I still eat extremely healthy 98% of the time, but if I can't enjoy a night out with my family because of self imposed restrictions that are very ridiculous (now that I look back on how foolish I was) then i'm missing out on precious time with the people I love most.
  • YOU GO GIRL!!
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    I did not know I could enjoy dark chocolate as much as milk chocolate! Chocolate is my vice and I always knew that dark chocolate was healthier but my experience with it pretty much consisted only of Hershey's Special Dark (blech!) But now that I've discovered Dove Silky Smooth dark chocolate, I enjoy it just as much. Combined with some strawberries, it makes a great, reasonably low-cal dessert for those days that my sweet tooth won't leave me alone!

I also didn't know that I could be satisfied with one half bagel with a half tablespoon of peanut butter (I LOVE bagels with peanut butter... I used to always eat the entire bagel with tons of pb though!)
  • Pete1977
    Pete1977 Posts: 14
    I didn't know that I could do an entire at-home workout, exercising every major muscle group, with nothing more than a single set of dumbbells and an exercise ball. I'm generally too embarrassed to go to the gym, and didn't want to shell out a fortune on those all-in-one workout machines (that I was never really convinced would be a good investment anyway). A little research on the Internet went a long way. For less than $100 I was able to purchase all the equipment I needed... And WOW, what a workout I was able to do. I think I'm going to be a little sore in the morning, but I'm sure it'll get easier if I just keep with it. :)
This discussion has been closed.