Any Roller girls or roller derby fans out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    That's really handy to know! I definately need to eat a bit more on derby days but I haven't been eating back all that, not even close. I prefer to put my activity down as lightly active and spread that across the week.

Talking of diet, this week I have been on a detox type thing (it lasts 2 weeks and I miss cheese and ham). I always make sure to eat something an hour or two before practice, but I'm finding veg, nuts and even protein don't really last that long before my stomach starts to grumble. A slice of toast or some pasta just seems to hold that off (I'm pretty sure a bacon sandwich is actually the best sunday-morning scrim food possible). I think I might go back to my carby ways once this fortnight is over... at least on derby days.
  • lili0722
    lili0722 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i skated as a fresh meat last summer. i'm looking to get back into it. i'm turing 38 in a few months and miss derby so much. after joining this site last year and never staying committed i feel as if i have turned over a new leaf. my goal is to slim down a bit before tying up my skates again. i'm giving myself until the beginning of June to shed some much need fat pounds before building the pounds of muscle. any and all support is welcome with open arms. derby love all!
  • masterchief1171999
    Options
    I started in September and I love it. I too did the roller skating as a kid, plus I still ice skate regularly(well not since I started derby) and I roller bladed through my 20s and 30s. I'm 41 and way over weight, but I'm not going to let that stop me. I've never sweated so hard as I do at practice.
    To the derby girl who plays for Detroit...you're in my neighborhood :) I'm just across from Port Huron. I know some of our team mates go to watch you, but I always find out after. I'd love to get to see some live derby!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Former derby girl!
    I got into it after seeing 1 bout. Fell in love and never looked back. I haven't skated for about 2 years now, and after exploring different kinds of fitness, my big derby legs are just starting to slim down. I actually gained at least 20 lbs in the 2 years that I did it, but then again, I took advantage of every afterparty and post practice hangout.
    I'm hoping to start playing again soon. I miss it so much.
  • redhot1017
    redhot1017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Derby girl here from the Western PA area! I love derby, it has seriously changed my life. For the first time I found something I want to work hard for, and it's my motivation to get in shape. My first season I actually gained weight while all of my teammates lost weight, so I decided it was time for a change. I want to be a jammer on our all-star team, so I need to whip my *kitten* into shape! Glad to see there are other derby girls here too!
  • 1979sarah2010
    1979sarah2010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Fresh Meat in redhot1017's league... I am super new on skates... never having skated before my first practice... 2 months in and I am doing much better than waddling around like i was! lol It is such an amazing thing to be involved in... the girls are all supportive and wonderful and want you to succeed. The scale hasnt moved much but i'm constantly getting told "you look like youve lost weight" so it much be working! i need to stop feeding my derby monster after practice! It is just what i needed in my life!

Roller Derby has saved our souls!
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hoping to sign up for the learn to skate program in the fall that gets you ready for derby....looks so fun!!!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Seattle team, Rat City Roller Girls. Maybe someday I'll try out! I would have to learn to skate first!
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm in training with South Sea Roller Derby in Melbourne, Australia. I love it and hope to be bouting as soon as possible.
  • lolstanski
    lolstanski Posts: 18
    Options
    hey there ! im currently with the Reapers from Swansea. would love to speak on here with fellow derbyists
  • lolstanski
    Options
    defo agree !! tho thankfully im already up to the new ones and am currently holding the team record lmfao for the speediest lap from standing !
  • lolstanski
    Options
    Have you guys seen the new minimum skills requirements? Whoa! I'm stoked! Unfortunatly, it means about 1/2 of our players have a LOT of work to do. They are skillful players, but their speed and cardio fitness isn't the best. I'm hoping the new standards willl inspire current teamates to get their *kitten* in shape, and attract new skaters who are commited to the sport.

defo agree !! tho thankfully im already up to the new ones and am currently holding the team record lmfao for the speediest lap from standing !
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't love derby? I started about a year and a half ago, when I moved to a new place and didn't know anyone. My town is small and they were desperate for players and took me even though I couldn't skate for *kitten*. I joined myfitnesspal when I hurt my knee and was afraid of gaining weight back that I had already lost. Now I'm back to derby and working on passing the new minimum skills requirements. I'd like to be a faster skater, it took me a while to get the 25 in 5 and they went and changed it to 27! I ordered a fitbit to help get me back on track, new friends could help too so if you'd like to add me go right ahead!
  • deathbunny
    deathbunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow derby-nuts. I am a little late to the party!

I just did the new WFTDA minimums, and I have to stay, they weren't nearly as hard as I thought they would be. Granted I have been playing for three years or so, but they sound more intimidating than they really are.
  • beauti_fuelled
    Options
    Bumping the post up! I'm a derby girl from Adelaide, been skating for just ver a year now and love it! Finally fond a sport I enjoy and am getting good at!

Feel free to add me :)