Late night binge eating help?

Options
I always have problems where I end up binge eating after 3 days of being at my calorie goal. What do you do to stop yourself from doing this when you get cravings? Any advice?

Replies

• lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all of your calories? I just took a look at your diary (just looked at the last few days) and you appear to be eating under your calorie goal (like 200+ calories under). At 6' tall, is 1500+ calories really the correct number of calories for you? I'm just curious what method you used to come up with this, as that seems a little low to me. The reason I mention this is, if you are eating that little I can see why you might binge. Without having any details on your weight, how much you exercise, if you eat back your exercise calories, and how you came up with your caloric goal, it's harder to pin-point what you might need to look at/adjust, but from what little I see, it may be that you just eat too little and then you binge to make up for it. Do you feel deprived at 1200 calories? Some folks feel great on 1200 calories. Me, I like to eat and I'm pleased that I can eat 1600-1800 calories (I log everything but veggies. I consider those freebies and eat as much as I want). As far as the late night part of the equation, I, too, like to eat late, so I intentionally save myself 200-400 calories to eat in the evening. Sometimes it's ice cream, sometimes it's a greek yogurt, sometimes it's cottage cheese. I just fit it into my calories and it works for me.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be harsh... but if I was eating that far under my calorie goal on a regular basis, I would binge too. The calorie goal that MFP sets for you is the number you should aim to eat - you don't aim to stay well under it.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    First make sure you are eating enough. I have used two strategies that have helped. The first is to stick to raw veggies, and munch on those.
    The second is just resist the urge. I don't eat after dinner. If I have a dessert, it is at the table within an hour after dinner. That urge can be strong.....remember you do have a choice, and yes, it is uncomfortable, but it will pass. I can say after a while I rarely feel like binging late at night.
  • yoshigreen94
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. i do log everything, and I usually overestimate on calories... That explains the binging. I don't even feel hungry usually, it's like a full type of craving. I upped my calories to 1580. Hopefully this works *fingers crossed* I just like instant results.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You are getting them, the 'instant result' of not eating enough is that your body will rebel :wink:
  • jadelunar
    jadelunar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Of course you're hungry! You're eating too much junk food and this will not keep you satisfied in the long run. Potato chips for breakfast? Ice cream sandwich for lunch? A triple smoothie yogurt pouch for lunch? Oreo McFlurry for dinner?

All of that crap is way too high in processed sugar and carbs with hardly any protein OR nutrients for a meal. Eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Increase your protein intake. Eat lean meats. Eat food that will fuel your body and you will feel more satisfied.

I'd seriously consider seeking help from a nutritionist if you're serious about losing weight and getting into better shape. Best of luck.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    chew gum!!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If it's happening at night, go to bed.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Plan for higher and lower calorie days. I find that when I need to eat I eat and just make up for it the next day. And if you're finding that you're running on a cycle with your cravings then it's easy enough to accept it and work with it.
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    While all the advice you have been given is OK, I'm wondering if there may be something else that may be causing you to binge?

I'm not a shrink, but I am a food addict. My oldest daughter was/is a binge eater and my middle son is a food sneaker/binger. Both have issues that they tend to self medicate with food.

There are many reasons you are doing this, the first thing that pops into my head is subconscious self sabotage. This is normal in people who for reasons only they know, sabotage the things that are good for them. It could be a comfort zone that you don't really want to leave. My mom always dieted but would always give in to temptation and never follow through. It took a while but she figured out that she was subconsciously 'staying' heavy because she was afraid of rejection if she were thinner. If she was thinner, she might start dating then get dumped. I always thought that was a little dramatic, but she felt safer from rejection in a bigger body - bigger body, no boyfriend, no rejection.

I'm not suggesting this is your issue, but putting it out there so you can maybe think about there being other issues that cause you to binge, other than just being hungry.

If hunger IS the cause, then you have to increase your calories. Fewer calories could be putting your body into starvation mode. Your body could be pulling what it needs from your muscle tissue. Because of this, you may feel ravished and need to eat so your body can sustain itself. You tend to gain more weight this way because your body is out of whack and you need to regulate your metabolism.

Also, the same mechanism that tells you that you are hunger is exactly the same as when you are dehydrated. They aren't exclusively hunger pains/pangs.

Increase your protein AND fiber. Both will keep you satiated longer. Complex carbs do a good job, but everyone is different. Good luck!

Wendy