Fat Calves!

Options
I have a question for all your MFP'ers out there....does anyone else have (or has had) an excess amount of fat covering your calves? I can't seem to get rid of this stubborn fat on my calves no matter what I do! Here's some annoying background info that I think is relevant: I've lowered body fat % to a pretty decent rate in the past year and I don't have a ton of excess fat anywhere else (other than a bit on my thighs but not nearly as much or as noticeable as before) but my calves have not gotten any smaller since I started eating better and consistently working out .I know its fat and not just muscle because of how it looks (yuck!) but I am totally lost on how to fix this! Please help! Has anyone else struggled with this? What worked for you? I I'd LOVE to be able to feel totally comfortable in shorts and short dresses by the end of summer, but this is one thing that's making me feel super self conscious about my body.

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    You can not spot reduce fat. You can only reduce overall fat, and it will come from wherever it comes from. The only thing you can do is keep lowering your body fat until the fat that you want to lose is gone.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can not spot reduce fat. You can only reduce overall fat, and it will come from wherever it comes from. The only thing you can do is keep lowering your body fat until the fat that you want to lose is gone.

Yep, sadly this is true. I find it is of my slowest places to loose from, takes quite a low Bodyfat % before I start to see definition :frown:
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have definitely heard that you can't "spot reduce" fat, I just didn't want to believe it :( Thanks for the reality check, I needed it! I was just kind of hoping that there was some type of exercise combination that worked for others with my problem as I have been struggling with lowering my body fat any further than I previously have. It seems when I DO manage to lose something, its not from the desired areas of my body and I lose my upper body muscle definition. ICK. Well, I will keep working at it, and hopefully I'll find the right balance :)
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Yep, sadly this is true. I find it is of my slowest places to loose from, takes quite a low Bodyfat % before I start to see definition :frown:

Yep, that's kind of where I am at. My BF% is getting very close to what I would consider "ideal" for myself but these darn calves are stubborn and won't change. I'll keep trying....thanks for responding & good luck to you :)