Do we watch we eat on Vacation

Options

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I log what I eat every day of the year, but then I eat what I want when I want every day of the year too ????
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    I went to Italy with my parents for 10 days last year. My father lost 17lbs, my mom lost 10lbs and I lost 5lbs (didn't need to lose at). With all the walking and how hot is was we still ate like we were on vacation and enjoyed the food and wine. I think as long as you are being active you can enjoy and don't have to be strict about what you consume.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't bother to count calories while on vacation, but then again, I'm not explicitly trying to lose weight, just be healthier. I just went back to my hometown to see the folks for Memorial Day and ended up having a long cheat weekend simply because my family doesn't eat nearly as healthy as I do and I didn't want to put them out. That and my grandmother was really excited to cook for me. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd enjoy the good food and watch your portion sizes.

And I'm going to have a cheat day tomorrow, which I feel bad about, since it's so close to my 3-day cheat last week. But as tomorrow is my birthday, I'm not going to feel TOO guilty about it. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Vacations are good opportunities to practice intuitive eating and portion control for maintenance. I eat the same whether I'm maintaining or cutting...just the calorie count is different. I eat pretty much the same whether I'm on vacation or at home...lots of veg and fruit, some whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats...it doesn't change just because I'm in a different city or whatever.

I do not log on vacation, I have better things to do. Plus, I usually end up losing anyway because I'm way more active while on vacation than I am at home sitting in my office all day 5 days per week.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Going to a 4 star hotel in Spain for a week in the middle of the month, it's all inclusive, 24 hour a day buffet, not a single morsel will be logged, nor f@ck given :P
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    See it as a time to eat at maintenance and refeed your metabolism. Then when you come back there will be no plateau and weightloss will be nice and smooth! Make sure to drink a lot of water, I always get really dehydrated on vacation lol!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't track my food/calories right now, as I've found doing 8:16 IF keeps me in my maintenance range without needing to track. We have a week long road trip from MI to TX this summer and I'll literally be eating out every meal for 7 days, all fast food except for a nicer rehearsal dinner and reception meal (but both restaurant/caterer prepared)). I'm still planning on doing 8:16IF for the trip, but realize that all that fast food is probably going to mess with my weight a bit. I'll correct any gains after I get back and then move on :) Not stressing about it-much more worried about sitting in a car for that long ugh, lol.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I still log and will try to do as much walking as possible. I often get day passes at a local gym as well and workout in the mornings. I will indulge in the local food though and just try to net within maintenance on the indulgent days.

THIS:drinker:
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    YES I do!!! I log my food and I cautious of what I eat. I even pack my scale!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I tend to not log my calories on vacation and I do eat pretty much what I want but I still watch my portion size I split my desert. So I am a bit more careful but don't make my life and those around me difficult. I also will also make sure I eat one meal a day this is smaller and lighter most often breakfast.
    I agree. This process has taught me to make better choices in general including how to make smart selections from menus, even fast food menus. However, when on vacation I will splurge a little on local treats, or a nice dinner. not too much mind you. ANd I do track. I've been watching the scale very slowly go in the wrong direction after being in maintenance for six months, so I know vigilance is key.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    We are going on vacation in a few weeks. It will be the first vacation since I began my weight loss. I I am pretty sure I will log what I eat but I will not stick to my regular calorie intake. I will still be careful and try not to go crazy.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think it's a case of what you feel comfortable with at the end of the day.
    I am not comfortable with those sit around and do nothing holidays so I can afford to be a little less strict on the eating front because I know I've done the exercise. Having said that though, I do still try and stay healthy and I do keep tabs on what I'm eating, but I think that's a force of habit more than anything.
    All I can really suggest, in your circumstance is try to get some exercise in during the day so you can keep the damage to a minimum, but don't worry about it too much. Enjoy spending time with your family, not worrying about calories :D
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do have some pretty heavy meals, but I plan out most and try to mdoerate by having lighter meals the rest of the day.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I log in everyday and exercise. Still gained on our last cruise though, but lost it within a few weeks.
  • eagergirl
    eagergirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation next week for two weeks. I am kind of nervous, because I don't have that strong of will to stay away and say no. I'm doing great at home, but we will be eating out most meals! HELP!!!! I need some support!!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I went on a four day vacation around Memorial day weekend. I tracked to the best of my ability (most of the places didn't have nutrititional information so I had to guess) but i still ended up gaining a pound that I can't push off despite being at a deficit. I thought it was sodium but that seems unlikely.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I log and try to be reasonable, but I don't worry about going over on calories
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I definitely DO NOT watch what I eat on vacation. Vacation to me spells FREEDOM from having to do anything I am supposed to do. The funny thing is that when I am on vacation, I don't want as much. I am way more relaxed and the cravings don't seem overwhelming.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. Thanksgiving comes once a year. I'll be damned if I pass up artery clogging mashed potatoes, for ones made with chicken broth.

Edited to fix quote.
    Absolutely no way! A holiday is a holiday. If you can't let your hair down on a break, when will you ever let your hair down?
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    I sure don't! But because this is a life-style change, I have habits that keep me from gaining while on vacation. I'm use to much smaller portions, always order Iced Tea at restaurants as I don't drink things with calories, etc...! I never lose weight while on vacation, but I don't gain either!