Best after gym fuel??

Options
Here's my dilemma:

It takes me about 45 minutes to get from the gym back to my house after a workout (I take public transit and walk a little ways)

What is the best thing to take with me to have for a post workout snack. I usually don't take anything cold with me (like milk to mix with protein powder) as I'm afraid it will spoil in the hour.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    protein bar
  • ewdesign85
    ewdesign85 Posts: 28
    Options
    Just wait til you get home, no need to eat or drink something right after your workout.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You can try a good protein bar, something to just fuel your body while in recovery. Or even small bags of fruit (grapes, cherries, etc)
    I have read that is better to fuel your body with in 30 - 90 minutes after a workout, so as long as you are eating a little something within that time frame you should be Ok
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Get a shaker cup and put just your protein powder in it and then get cold water from the water fountain at the gym when you're done with your workout. My protein powder can be made with water; doesn't taste as good as unswt almond milk but will work in a pinch.
  • Kamatayan
    Kamatayan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You could mix your powder with water. That's what I did for sometime.

ETA: Looks like a few of us have made the same suggestion.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You could take a shaker cup to the gym and just use water from the fountain or a bottled water to mix your protein. Having some fruit immediately after a workout helps replenish glycogen, then a protein shake when you get home also could suffice.
  • alits
    alits Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Usually just protein powder with water does it for me.. if you are trying to gain muscle from what I have read from numerous websites like bodybuilding.com it is best to consume protein within 25-30 minutes after your workout.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just take a post workout meal when you get home or even later if you want.
  • BlueJayLaw
    BlueJayLaw Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just take a post workout meal when you get home or even later if you want.

I usually don't worry about it but some days when I'm done I am starving (or atleast feel like I am)

But thanks for all the suggestions guys :):drinker:
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Usually just protein powder with water does it for me.. if you are trying to gain muscle from what I have read from numerous websites like bodybuilding.com it is best to consume protein within 25-30 minutes after your workout.
    I use to believe this but it's not true. There is no set time you need to have a post workout meal.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to lose weight you should mix the protein with water not milk otherwise its going to be a high calorie drink and at least then you can make it in the gym! Also have a banana to create an insulin spike
  • Elozano082
    Options
    Peanut butter or protein bar
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk

buy small containers and freeze them. Toss in your bag- it will be thawed when you need it.

alternative- there are small containers of muscle milk - don't need refrigeration.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    EAS advantEdge boxed shakes (no refrigeration needed) or a south beach diet protein snack bar--both are 100 calories and hold me over to my next meal.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to lose weight you should mix the protein with water not milk otherwise its going to be a high calorie drink and at least then you can make it in the gym! Also have a banana to create an insulin spike

why is it beneficial to create an insulin spike?
  • astroteej81
    Options
    Raisins and a shaker ball w/ protein powder and water work well. WIthin a half hour is preferred.