What a long strange trip it's been - Part 1

Options
fishermanmatt
fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
I can hardly believe its been a year since I first logged onto MFP. My journey started on Memorial Day of 2012 which happened to be my birthday.

Call it a midlife crisis or something, but I spent some time reflecting on how I was living life on my last birthday decided there had to more to it than working at a computer all day, eating meals through the car window only to come home and sit on a computer until bedtime. To many years of that routine had left me unhappy, unhealthy, and feeling pretty alone. I needed a major change.

The first thing I attacked was my health. I've always been the fat guy. I avoided scales, mirrors and cameras like the plague. The times that I was forced to see the scales are permanently etched in my mind. 299 pounds at 13 years old leaving elementary school in 1989. 401 pounds at 16 years old at football camp after my sophomore year of high school in 1991. 468 on my 21st birthday and my all time high of 555 in 2008 shortly after buying my house. Last year on my 37th birthday I was 523 pounds.

I knew I had a large task in front of me. I was 37 and needed to lose 300 pounds. From the info I gathered at the time, two pounds per week was about the maximum rate of weight loss to strive for. With that in mind I set a goal to be 220 pounds on my 40th birthday.

I found MFP about a week later. It's been an extremely useful tool for me on my journey toward fitness. In the early days of my journey I would read the success stories every morning when I woke up and every evening before bed. I hadn't had my own success yet and relied on the success others had experienced to motivate me to stick with the workouts and healthy eating. I can only hope that someone will read this and be motivated to continue on one more day until they start getting their motivation from within.

I started with small steps. I made a salad for dinner instead of getting a combo meal at a fast food place. I took a short walk in the evenings. In a matter of a week or so I had the diet pretty well under control. Lots of lean proteins, veggies and fruits. I'm not a good cook. I eat boring meals but for the most part they are healthy.

The exercise was a different story. At 523 pounds, even short walks were difficult on me. Carrying around all that weigh my entire life has understandably taken a toll on my joints. Trying to be active carrying it around proved to be a painful endeavor. Not wanting to give up I decided to join the local YMCA to use the pool. I sat out in the parting lot for a half hour trying to get the nerve to walk in. Joining the gym was big step for me. While worrying about others opinions aren't what kept me from starting out earlier, they did play a factor. I'm so not a morning person but I made myself get there at 5 AM every morning. Wanting as few people as possible to see me in a swimsuit proved to be a pretty good motivator to get my butt out of bed early.

Who knew it? All those people that say eating right and exercising were right all along. As I continued to eat right and exercise I started seeing positive results. By mid September I had managed to lose 50 pounds.

When I started out I set intermediate goals with some rewards. At every 50 pound lost I reward myself by changing things up and doing something new. Reaching my first 50 pound lost goal I rewarded myself with another gym membership and started lifting weights. I'm a large man and weak for my size. Being nearly six and a half feet tall I want to be as strong as I am big. Since September I've been lifting lifting weights 5-6 times a week. The weigh loss slowed but I have managed to build up a little muscle while getting a bit stronger. I'm actually enjoying the work and like seeing and feeling some muscle under the flab. I ended up dropping the Y over the winter. Who wants to get out of a warm bed and go jump in a cold pool. Not me. Besides, I was enjoying the lifting and getting the results I wanted.

Back in February I hit another goal/reward. My 100 pound lost goal/reward was to get a bicycle and start riding. Relearning to ride a bike has been interesting. Having not ridden in 25 years, there is a bit of rust in my pedaling but I'm having fun. I enjoy the lifting enough that I'm not giving it up. The biking is just an extra thing to do. I normally do a three mile loop once or twice in the evenings as a warm up before lifting. As I've gotten a bit more comfortable on the bike I've starting increasing the length of my ride. Last Sunday I did my first 10 mile ride. Saturday I met up with my brother and did 12 miles. The following Sunday my pre-lifting warmup ride ended up being 16 miles. I'm not sure where I'll go with the bike riding thing. Right now it's just a fun way to get in a little exercise.

Things on the "getting healthy" front are going better than I could have ever ask for. As of Monday morning I'm down 133 pounds since 2012/05/28. Not to bad if I say so myself. I've still got a long way to go to reach my goal but the success I've had so far keeps me motivated and I'm confident I'll get there.

Even more important for me than the weight loss loss is the change in attitude that has happened over the past year. At 500 pounds gloom and doom are the norm and its a difficult cycle to break out of. Making strides in my health has went a long way toward getting happy as well. I've also changed my approach to having fun. In past it was something I left it to chance. I've changed that. Instead of waiting for something fun to happen I now actively seek it out. Before beginning this journey I rarely left the house for anything but work and shopping that couldn't be done online. I broke the ice on a social life by attending my first concert and stand up comedy shows. It's mighty difficult to feel alone when you're in a crowd of hundreds or thousands jumping, yelling, dancing and singing along. I've been to so many shows now that I'm losing count and making new friends among the regulars at the local punk shows.

I've still got a long way to go on my journey but getting/being healthy is now a matter of when instead of if. I'm happier and having more fun than I could have ever imagined. I want to thank all my MFP Pals. I really couldn't ask for a better support group. Wether it's battling an eating disorder, being Crazy busy with work or school, that "Damn" hill, 30k steps a day, early morning workouts, even working to become a certified fitness instructor, each of my pals has motivated me to keep going an I'm eternally thankful for their support.

A couple pics. I realize my dog is included in most of the photos. Having her around was the only time I allowed my photo to be taken.

From a cancer fundraiser 2009 - 510 pounds
850dd94b0157f25f9e5d25ded7d0c092_zps3384182b.jpg

That same summer.
d6ee62f5efb36096122c06faa39db09d_zps48ddaef0.jpg

2011 - 530-540
23cd136c85f1701a620f68a0e04504b2_zps42edd7b2.jpg

Headshot starting out - 520
64626dc9fbe4159a3d4596964187292f_zps981d3602.jpg

Progress:
February - 420 - backstage at Flogging Molly
334c74e51d07ea9fe511e2b3e877fa6c_zps284b8786.jpg

Headshot - 390
7bad09d601c58bc566b348fe833fa08c_zpsd6f87462.jpg

With Gertrude - 390
5011e0bc25776dea5cd5cf2d2c1c0064_zpsa3c21686.jpg

Just for fun. It's hard to feel alone here (shaved head, front row center).
87a0f9236560b88a765cafe4de4aff93_zps374e9597.jpg

Replies

• chelle2k
    chelle2k Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are a huge inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done an amazing job working toward your goal! Your story is very inspirational - thank you for sharing it. :happy: :happy:
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    WOW A hell of a job! GREAT! CONGRATULATIONS CONGRATULATIONS
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are making such amazing choices, and doing it the right way, for the right reasons. You Sir rock!
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are amazing! I've had such a hard time making small changes that to see someone making major changes and pushing through obstacles like joint pain and social anxiety is just astounding to me. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm jealous of you being backstage at Flogging Molly too...
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh... Matt! I love seeing these pics of you! I remember becoming your friend last summer, and how opposed to pics you were. Looks like you are getting over that, and with good reason! You have come so far, so fast. I am incredibly glad to call you a friend, and I look forward to cheering you on to the next milestone (coming up pretty quickly now!)!!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress. Congratulations.
  • bedot
    bedot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow you are doing it!! You should be very proud of yourself! Congratulations...by the way, I love your dog ;-)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You have a fantastic, inspiring story. It's as if you were almost dead and you decided to bring yourself alive again... and you've done it! So happy for you! Keep it up!
  • Kipperdoodle13
    Kipperdoodle13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Matt,

Congrats on your success. I feel honored to be one of your MFP friends. You are a daily source of support and encouragement and I thank you for that. Keep up the good work!
  • xRachTasticx
    xRachTasticx Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Reading your story really hit home. A lot of the feelings and behaviors. I'm so incredibly amazed by your progress. You've done FABULOUSLY and If I were you I would be SO proud. Congratulations. You're an amazing inspiration!

PS- Your dog is so very cute!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    so happy to have read your story. i think what really affected me the most was not how much weight you've lost (133 lbs! oh freaking my!) but the attitude shift. i suffer from anxiety and OCD (managed with therapy and medication) and so i know just how scary somne social situations can be. my hat goes off to you. :)
  • srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I almost never comment on these boards, but I just had to for you! What am amazing person you are! Already well over 100 pounds down! WOW! Please know that you are SUCH an inspiration to people like me! I so identified with the being embarrassed to go to the gym or to the pool! I have been putting off swimming laps at our neighborhood pool, but after reading this, I am setting aside my fear and doing what is best! THANK YOU!!!! Keep it up and keep posting for us!!!
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story, so happy you share your store with everyone. I have to agree with you this site is the best for support.
    I really love the people on here very supportive
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that one day I randomly decided to add you on here! You have been one of my biggest inspirations and I have loved following your story and watching your progress! You're doing such a great job and I'm thankful that I have the chance to be cheering you on and (selfishly) even more thankful that you're here cheering me on as well! You're one of the few people on my friends list that I really look forward to hearing from. Thank you for sharing this and letting everyone else see how great you are too!!
  • hsilberman1
    hsilberman1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are my HERO. What a great story! Your change in attitude is a HUGE inspiration. Now I know I have absolutely no reason not to reach my own goal. Congratulations dude, keep up the awesome work!
  • sputnika
    sputnika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything original to say but I was just SO impressed by your story and the progress you have made, both physically and mentally, and I had to comment :smile: I really admire the courage you had to start on this "trip" . I wish you all the very best in the coming months and look forward to hearing about your future 50lb landmarks.
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!! You are absolutely INCREDIBLE. Such an inspiration to the entire MFP community. This was a perfect story to read this morning - thank you for sharing :)
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. Its great that you're approaching this as a long term project and lifestyle change. Keep it up!

I went to a Flogging Molly concert with my son several years ago and really enjoyed it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!