Is it important to track vitamins and fish oil caps, etc?

Options
Do you think that vitamins, fish oil capsules, potassium tablets, and other supplements, etc, should be tracked if consumed daily?
When it comes to calories, I know the fish oil contains some 24 calories and I'm sure the rest have some level of calories involved too.

Do you think they should be tracked as well, or just considered "overhead" for your daily diet?

Replies

• littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good question I have been wondering that too. I don't put mine in on here but I do try to keep it in my head that I have some calories not counted in. I'm usually under on my calories anyways so it doesn't matter but I have thought about making a list just for my vitamins.
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    I suppose they all do have calories......but I figure I didn't get fat by overeating supplements, so I'm probably not gonna get skinny by figuring them all into my calories. :bigsmile:
  • rmwilliams0519
    Options
    I track mine, I figure a calorie in needs to be a calorie out to lose weight. I mean if you eat 3000 calories of fruit a day even though its "healthy" you would still gain weight since that's more calories then you would burn right?

This is a good question
  • victory515
    victory515 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins every day and I like to put them in so that I can monitor if i am reaching my daily values of things like vitamin C and calcium.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    GREAT question. I take daily fish oil and never thought to add the calories. I think I am going to now. A calorie is a calorie right? Those calories contribute to our daily energy as well as our weight so my opinion is yes they should be added. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I log mine in a separate section of Vitamins & Supplements I don't do it for the calorie content as 10-30 calories wont make a difference at all. I do it to track the vitamin & mineral levels and to make sure I remember to take them Its actually become a habit now so remembering them isn't such a problem.

diary is open if you want to look.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always consider supplements to be "overhead", because I feel that even though they might have calories I'm not likely to binge on them. (I try to be conscious of actual food (healthy and not) because I'm likely to eat large amounts of anything if I'm not paying attention.) I guess it kind of depends on where you are in your weight loss... if you're being really strict, you might consider logging them, but if you're okay with maybe being over by 50 cals then I wouldn't bother. Good question!
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I add mine in everyday. Its more so I can see my calcuim and iron intake because I need to pay attn to those.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I add mine in, when I remember to do it, they are 10 calories and I'm always under on calories anyway so if I forget then I know I'm still covered and don't worry about it.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I add mine personally. I've made a vitamin and supplement section under my daily meals. It keeps me honest, which besides the community here, has been my greatest reason for success. Plus I remember to take them. Also I am a little addicted to logging in all my consumptions hehe :embarassed:
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've thought about logging my vitamins but I never get around to it. I know there are people that do though. Maybe one of these days I'll actually log them but I'm not worried if I don't.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    YES, if they have calories then they need to be tracked as well. Fish oil has calories about 25 to the serving. I track all of mine including the fish oil caplets. Creamer and yes even sweeteners have calories. The calories in sweeteners have about 4 per package even though they say zero. Anything having less than 4 calories to the serving does not have to be listed on the label but are still in the product. God Bless, brenda :flowerforyou:
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vit, vitamin b, c and d which I don't count. I do count the fish oil capsules, but then I do take around 18-20 a day, which is nearly 200kcals.

George