Health Question

melb_alex
melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
Hey guys I posted something about this on my personal page last night; I was wondering does anyone struggle with Heart Burn/Acid Reflux with clean eating?

I went to the doctors and they advised that it is usually due to a significant amount of weightloss (I have only lost about 6 kilos; can't be this) and drastic change in lifestyle (could be); fatty or acidic foods ...both I consume none of.

I was given tablets to take ONLY if the situation was worse and was told to come back in 2-3 weeks if symptoms still persisted.
A couple of weeks ago I had a relatively big night out which resulted in consuming a chicken kebab and the following day I had NO heartburn (yay). The symptoms came back for the rest of the weekend as I obviously ate quite strictly (but healthy) to combat the friday night and it has been tolerable until yesterday- it was so bad :(

It's as if my body is craving copious amounts of carbs/fatty foods but I physically cannot consume them as I honestly don't like unhealthy food or eating ginormous portions!!!

Has anyone experienced the same/similar situation?

Replies

• kelooki
    kelooki Posts: 22
    Do you eat a lot of fruit?
  • melb_alex
    barely any!

infact the doctor went through a whole lot of questions that could contribute to reflux and I honestly answered no to most! I know it's usually due to over fatty foods, fruit etc but my diet is quite in check!

My self prognosis is eating too small of portions but that's the fundamental to weight loss!

anyway I think it's something else hey...
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    There's a great product you can get at health food stores called Betaine HCL. Works wonders!
  • melb_alex
    There's a great product you can get at health food stores called Betaine HCL. Works wonders!

ohhh I love you!!! I have tried mylanta, quick eaze and other tablets and nothing works!
    I will see it they stock this in Aus but I am most appreciative!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    Are you working out close to meal times? Or stressed out? I know I carry my stress in my belly, and it's a constant battle in my life.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    I dealt with heartburn BEFORE my weight loss, but not after. I took Zantac (ranitidine) and it worked great every time!

For me, trigger foods are:

chocolate
    alcohol (esp Red Wine, but most others)
    Pretzels.
    Anything SUPER salty or acidic.

Good luck, I hope it clears up for you.

Forgot to add: Mine would get bad at night, after laying down. I would wake in the night with HB. A solution I've heard for that is to slightly elevate the head of your bed (put a 2x4 under the legs at the head of the bed) to ease the pressure on the top of your stomach.
  • melb_alex
    Are you working out close to meal times? Or stressed out? I know I carry my stress in my belly, and it's a constant battle in my life.

Not at all! my last meal before I work out is about 3-4 (I workout about 6-7ish) and my dinner is usually about 8:30 (although I am aiming earlier :) )
  • melb_alex
    I dealt with heartburn BEFORE my weight loss, but not after. I took Zantac (ranitidine) and it worked great every time!

For me, trigger foods are:

chocolate
    alcohol (esp Red Wine, but most others)
    Pretzels.
    Anything SUPER salty or acidic.

Good luck, I hope it clears up for you.

Forgot to add: Mine would get bad at night, after laying down. I would wake in the night with HB. A solution I've heard for that is to slightly elevate the head of your bed (put a 2x4 under the legs at the head of the bed) to ease the pressure on the top of your stomach.

ohhh thanks buddy!

I will try this as well as well as the Betaine :) Interesting with the food choices as I barely eat chocolate (apart from my protein shake!) Eased up on the alcamahole (dont like red wine), pretzels and don't like salty food haha!

Oh if it's at night it's tolerable but it's during the day (like right now :( ) and it usually reduces RIGHT after eating! ohhhh interesting you say that because my doctor mentioned impact on the stomach (i.e. crunches) so I am going to try this with my bed tonight!

Thanks you're a gem x
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    I had Acid reflux in college really bad.
    It was due to stress and acidic foods- tomato, oranges, lemon etc. I would google them and cut them from your diet to see if it helps along with trying the homeopathic remedy.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    I was having horrible reflux. I don't belch. Not to be gross but expelling air and often being sick. This lasted almost 2 years. Since I started MFP in January it is almost non-existent. I think it was a mixture of wrong foods and too much at one time.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Sounds like maybe you could have an ulcer or peptic ulcer. Im not sure of course. I have had times like that too since exercising and eating somewhat better. You may not want to let your stomach get completely empty due to the stomach acids when you are hungry. I notice some when I work on abs really hard, when I eat alot of chocolate. Food would always soothed it so at one time it was a viscous cycle. I notice it too after a weekend of drinking alcohol...I notice it the next week. I keep over the counter acid reducers on hand.
  • brewedtea
    brewedtea Posts: 19 Member
    I've never had heartburn/acid reflux before, but once I started using coconut oil instead of other fats, I got it pretty frequent and severe, so I am back to olive oil when needed. I had heard so many good things about coconut oil, I wanted to use it, but I guess it's not for me. What I would suggest is just to start cutting out foods that you have recently added to your diet one by one to see if one of them is the culprit and go from there. Feel better!
  • melb_alex
    Sounds like maybe you could have an ulcer or peptic ulcer. Im not sure of course. I have had times like that too since exercising and eating somewhat better. You may not want to let your stomach get completely empty due to the stomach acids when you are hungry. I notice some when I work on abs really hard, when I eat alot of chocolate. Food would always soothed it so at one time it was a viscous cycle. I notice it too after a weekend of drinking alcohol...I notice it the next week. I keep over the counter acid reducers on hand.

I have been fixating on core considerably and was told this could be contributing to the situation as well!
    It's a bloody vicious cycle!I refuse to eat crap and let my body win!

BTW she checked my stomach for ulcers and nothing!! I never got it before this strict regime and I drank more!!

thanks <3
  • melb_alex

I have been fixating on core considerably and was told this could be contributing to the situation as well!
    It's a bloody vicious cycle!I refuse to eat crap and let my body win!

BTW she checked my stomach for ulcers and nothing!! I never got it before this strict regime and I drank more!!

thanks <3
  • melb_alex
    I was having horrible reflux. I don't belch. Not to be gross but expelling air and often being sick. This lasted almost 2 years. Since I started MFP in January it is almost non-existent. I think it was a mixture of wrong foods and too much at one time.

oh WOW that sounds awful you poor thing xx mine is no where near like that it's just that burning feeling with a little tightness!