What to do with Swiss Chard?

Options

Replies

• treework
    treework Posts: 2
    Options
    Another thought.. boil up a bunch of it and freeze in meal size batches. Will be nice when the season is over!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to need these ideas. lol I planted some Swiss Chard even though I've never had it before. I'm hoping it'll grow.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yummmm! I use it just like spinach.
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • laurabelle2013
    Options
    My favorite leafy green!

Boiled w/a little salt and butter
    Saute with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Crushed Red Pepper Flake
    Use in place of spinach in any recipe

Debating on whether "chard chips" would be good - you know, like kale chips!

Sautée like this then put in a toasted quesadilla w a little cheese and grilled peppers. Omg, the best!!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ever watch Chopped? They Use Rainbow Chard but I think it should be similar. And if you are feeling adventurous, here are the episodes =P

Episodes:
    Series #8 "Coconut, Calamari, Donuts"
    Series #53 "Dream'n of Redeem'n"
    Series #78 "The Icing on the Steak"
    Series #110 "The Big Scoop"
    Series #130 "All Stars: Grand Finale"
    Series #151 "Class Acts, Too"
    Series #186 "Military Salute"
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump - putting on my grocery list for this week!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I usually just sautee with olive oil and garlic, sometimes adding in pinenuts or golden raisins.

I haven't tried these, but these sounded very good!
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/chard/index.html

- - -
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wash it.
    Cut it up.
    Season it.
    Turn it sideways....
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's delicious in stir fries with some good strong chillies. Also there is a River Cottage recipe, which I've not tried but I trust pretty much everything Hugh makes... http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chard-new-potato-curry/ xx
  • TheCarmalee
    Options
    You like scrambled eggs? Before you cook the eggs, crack them into a blender with the Swiss Chard. Blend, then scramble. The eggs totally disguise the taste of the chard...but your eggs will be a beautiful green! Enjoy!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    me too! i'm also finding that the rainbow chard i planted in my little garden are doing quite well. So have the bok choy---those suckers are HUGE.....

My original plan was to eat a few leaves raw in salads, but with so much available now i need some good recipe ideas....

The garlic/lemon saute ideas sound good. I also want to try this recipe using Parmesan cheese & pine nuts:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/rainbow-chard-pine-nuts-parmesan-basil.aspx
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--I love chard, but need to try some of these new suggestions!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You like scrambled eggs? Before you cook the eggs, crack them into a blender with the Swiss Chard. Blend, then scramble. The eggs totally disguise the taste of the chard...but your eggs will be a beautiful green! Enjoy!

Wow, interesting! Thanks for all the great ideas! I sauteed some last night with garlic and lemon juice and it was pretty good! Went well with the panko breaded tilapia I made.

I also have the multi-colored chard; it's called "Bright Lights".

One thing I noticed is that, when cooked, it really wilts down to almost nothing. I had a cut a huge bowl from the garden, but it was barely enough for two people after cooking. Double your harvest! :D
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bumping because kale is my favorite vegetable ever, and I want to try chard!
  • kristiinarobinson
    kristiinarobinson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have this in my garden for the first time. Can't wait to try some of these ideas!
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favorite leafy green!

Boiled w/a little salt and butter
    Saute with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Crushed Red Pepper Flake
    Use in place of spinach in any recipe

Debating on whether "chard chips" would be good - you know, like kale chips!

Sautée like this then put in a toasted quesadilla w a little cheese and grilled peppers. Omg, the best!!

This sounds amazing, and I will definitely be trying this! Also our first year planting Swiss Chard, and have had great success growing it! :) Needed additional ideas as well since we only could think to put it in salads. I like some of the other ideas such as the lasagna as well! Thank you for all your ideas!
  • TaniaMB
    TaniaMB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Steamed, salt and pepper, and a splash of vinegar, same for beet tops... Yummy
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I fed it to my pet rabbits when I was a kid.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Look at it. Eat it.

Wonder about its feelings, or where it will go when it dies.

Besides the toilet.