How and how much do you exercise? (poll)

Options
I'm sure something of this has been asked already in some form but the constant 'eat / don't eat your exercise calories' debate got me thinking. Obviously people have very different exercise routines depending on their goals and current fitness level, and how much you eat should mirror those so I'd like to ask a few questions to get an idea of who we are and where we come from in this. :smile:

1. What is your weekly exercise routine?
2. How long is your usual exercise session?
3. How much Calories do you burn during it?
4. How many of those do you eat back?

It's not the exercise calories that I'm interested in here but the first two questions. 4 and 5 are just added extra to give a little background. Perhaps you could also tell something about when and what you eat to get ready for your training.

Replies

• alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'll answer this myself first!

I do taekwondo about four or maybe five times a week. I go by bike everywhere and occationally drop by a gym or swimming hall (very irregular).
    The taekwondo class can be anything from self defence techniques and sparring to jumping kicks or form training. It's usually pretty intense.

Usually 25 minute bike ride there 1.5 hour tkd class and another bikeride back again. Sometimes I take two classes in a row so it becomes 3 hours.

3. How much Calories do you burn during the session?
    I estimate its usually about 1000. More like 2000 when I take two classes in a row.

I try to eat the majority of it back to keep up. I usually eat a hefty meal about two hours before a class, drink a recovery drink right after and another meal when I get home.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    !. What is your weekly exercise routine? Turbo Fire
    2. How long is your usual exercise session? 30 to 55 min depending on which DVD
    3. How much Calories do you burn during it? up to 400
    4. How many of those do you eat back? all of them, I'm a big eater and I'm always hungry on the 1200 allowance so that sets me up for failure if I don't eat them
  • rufatbob
    rufatbob Posts: 15
    Options
    I exercise 5 to 6 times a week water jog minimum 30 mins. bicycle minimum of 40 mins. sometimes I will do both in one day, and on some days I will only do one or the other. As far as food goes I eat what ever I want following My mfp guide lines of how many calories I can consume that day
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I workout 4-7 days a week depending on my schedule. I do a big variety of activity because I get bored easily. I do anything from weights, cardio machines, aqua, videos, yoga, pilates, whatever I feel the need to do that day. I like to walk on the treadmill or ride a recumbent bike while I read for classes.. I also like to mix up my intensities, some days I'm super intense and others I'm lighter, more relaxing. I go by how my body feels to determine that. I'm also a very active person, walking all over campus and on my feet or demonstrating exercises for my job. I don't count those activities as exercise though, because they are included in my daily activity level.

One to two hours per day for my exercise routine, but I'm on my feet or doing something more like 10 hours a day.

Depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes its only 200-300 calories because I'm doing light exercise. Others it's over 1000.

As many as I can. With my activity level and muscle mass, I have a high BMR so I get a lot of calories to begin with, but I know how important it is to fuel the body for exercise, so I always try to be less then 20% under my total calorie needs (BMR + Daily Activity + Exercise) because that is what I've been taught as a nutritionist. Everyone on here talks about 1200 calories as being the line in the sand that marks the starvation mode, but in my classes I was taught that it is 20% below your total calorie needs.
  • KatalynasMommy
    KatalynasMommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1. What is your weekly exercise routine? Stationary bike Monady thur Friday

2. How long is your usual exercise session? around 80 minutes

3. How much Calories do you burn during it? around 445

4. How many of those do you eat back? believe it or not none.

I started doing the 6 minute shake weight routine almost everyday have got into the route of doing that like the bike but I will soon.

Changed last month to maintain my weight but I cann't seem to change my eating still eating like I was when I had it set to lose the 2 pounds. So I almost always have 1,000 calories left, the only days I don't have 1,000 calories left is the weekend but manage to stay under calorie goal.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Monday - 40 minute walk in the AM and an hour of dragon boat paddling in the evening
    Tuesday - Friday - 40 minutes of cardio and weights or swimming at the gym
    Saturday - 90 minutes of weights and an hour of cardio at the gym
    Sunday - 60 minutes of cardio and a 60 minute speed walk with a friend in the evening

I burn anywhere from 300 to 1600 calories and I eat back some
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1. I'm currently following a 20-week hybrid rotation of ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Fire, so I'm combining strength training (generally 3 days/week), some HIIT, and a cardio kickboxing routine on other days. In addition, I do a lot of extra stretching. I have 3 dogs who need walked as well, so they generally get walked 6 or 7 days/week.

2. My actual 'workout' time is about 45ish minutes/day...sometimes the workouts are a smidge longer, but rarely over an hour. However, I walk my dogs as well, on work days (Monday-Friday), it's another 45 minutes, but on weekends, closer to an hour and 15.

3. During my dog walk, my calorie burn is about 100 calories/15 minutes. With the cardio kickboxing workout, I burn 100 calories/10 minutes. My 35-40 minute strength workouts generally get me 180ish calories.

4. I've created my own 'custom' nutrition in MFP, and because I wear a bodybugg that measures my caloric expenditure each day, I know that if I eat closer to 2000 calories/day, I'll be between a 500-700 calorie deficit. I don't log my workouts into MFP, but I am eating back some of my exercise calories through my self-created deficit. Sometimes I eat all of them, sometimes I don't.
    I'm sure something of this has been asked already in some form but the constant 'eat / don't eat your exercise calories' debate got me thinking. Obviously people have very different exercise routines depending on their goals and current fitness level, and how much you eat should mirror those so I'd like to ask a few questions to get an idea of who we are and where we come from in this. :smile:

It's not the exercise calories that I'm interested in here but the first two questions. 4 and 5 are just added extra to give a little background. Perhaps you could also tell something about when and what you eat to get ready for your training.
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Now keep in mind, its summertime, and I Have a lot more time on my hands as I answer this...so as of right now:

1. What is your weekly exercise routine? 3 days a week of running (25-30 mins), 5 days a week Zumba (45 minute sessions)
    2. How long is your usual exercise session? See above.
    3. How much Calories do you burn during it? Anywhere from 400-1000
    4. How many of those do you eat back? Absolutely! I leave some room at the end (100-200 cals), but I use the extra calories as a way to play hard, since I work out so hard all week.

And I'm 30lbs down since the end of Feb. I must be doing something right? :happy: :happy:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Hi, these are my answers:

1. Treadmill work for one hour three times per week, one long walk per week
    2. 60 minutes
    3. Between 600 and 780 calories burned
    4. On the odd occasion, 100 eaten back on the night I have trained, otherwise, I do not eat them back.

Regarding what I eat, I include some sort of protein in breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is important to me and will involve eggs (either scrambled egg on toast or a two-egg omelette). I have discovered, only within the last week, that I train a hell of a lot better on an empty stomach (I know, weird or what!), so if I have not eaten for four hours or more before a training session that is okay with me.

I do not worry about carbs and if I have taken enough in and I no longer track sugar.

Interesting poll by the way!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    1. 3 Days weight/strength training, 3 days running. And then on weekends I like to do something that takes several hours. Like swimming, bike riding, walking, I can't run for that long but I will eventually get there before my half marathon.

2. ST Sessions go between 30 and 45 minutes. I do two long runs, and then a HIIT session that is always the same time for the long runs, it's tough and I feel it for a couple days afterwards. This week my times were 40-40-45 min. Next week I'll increase that to 45-45-50, you get the idea.

3. ST Session I only give myself 200 extra calories regardless of time, unless I go significabtly longer. I'm training for a half marathon, and I'm a big dude so running work outs have getting up over 1000 calories per session. Next week they'll be closer to 1100. My several hour sessions get up over 2000.

4. I eat most of them, most days. If do an activity for several hours....I don't even get close. But I eat when I'm hungry.
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've off work at the moment, so I have a little more time to exercise. And I've only really started exercising about a month ago, so this will be subject to change, lol!

- 30 Day Shred (Level 2 at the moment) at least 5 times a week
    - Gym (Cardio - Treadmill, Eliptical, Stationary Bike) or Swim 3 to 4 times a week
    - Walk (hike/incline) 2 to 3 times a week.
    - Shred (25 mins)
    - Gym (40 -50 mins) or swim (40 mins)
    - Walk (30 - 60 mins depending) usually I do a 30 minute walk, but did a 60 min (4km woodland hike) for first time last week and aim to do it every Sunday.
    I have been averaging about an hour a day, combining these in different ways each day depending on what I can fit in. Although I try and give myself a rest day or two lighter days in a week to give myself a break.
    I use a HRM.
    - Shred burns about 240 -260 cals depending on how far I push myself.
    - Gym burns about 450 - 500 cal depending on what settings I use (speed/level)
    - Swim burns about 400 cals, however, I haven't used the HRM in the pool yet so this is a MFP estimate
    - My standard incline 30 minute walk burns about 250 cals, the longer one (60 mins) burns 500 cal.
    I average between 500 - 750 each 'exercise' day.
    I try to eat about 3/4 of my exercise cals back, mostly because I do feel more hungry - but if I'm not hungry I won't push myself to eat them all. And then there are somedays I eat them all back because I have had a treat meal (like today!) - but I try not to do that more than once a week. I just listen to my body and do what feels right on a day to day basis!!
  • adk1971
    adk1971 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Every other day. Average of about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Burn about 400 calories on exercise bike and rowing machine then switch to speedball and various weight exercises with a selection of dumbells and kettlebells. Not sure how many calories I burn on the weights but about two thirds of my workout is weight training or cardio with weights.

Other exercise is walking the dog a fair bit. Probably getting a mountain bike soon too.