To drink, or not to drink? This is always my conundrum.....

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
Ok - so I promise I am being serious this time ..:)

What does everyone think about drinking alcohol and training? And that is not drinking alcohol while training ...LOL

Seems to be a mixed back of thoughts out there. Some say not to do it because drinking will dehydrate your muscles, is not good for losing body fat/weight loss, etc...others say it really does not matter.

I really do not drink at all during the week. But on the weekend I have been known to go to the beach and slug down a bunch of beers with the crew, or go out for a night on the town and down some vodka waters...I would say I usually drink on Friday evening, saturday on the beach or saturday night, and maybe a bloody marry on sunday but that is few and far between ..

interested to hear everyone's thought on this...

Fire away!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Day before exercise = **** training
    Day of exercise = ridiculous DOMS for longer periods of time despite drinking lots of water

I still attempt to go by berkhan's article and go low fat, high protein and just make sure I'm active while drinking i.e. dance up a storm :tongue:

Has not hinder fat loss in the past but I can't think it would be good for muscle gain being that alcohol is metabolised first when your body could be rebuilding muscle tissue.

But one big day a week is not going to hinder progress a great deal IMO. I've switched a more of a moderation approach now though as I got a bit hectic in Thailand a few months back. Over the hangovers!
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I gave up alcohol a long while back, to me it was just senseless calories, but a few weeks ago I drank wine...a few bottles and was just sick....hungover from the wine and the food I ate along with it. So I'm guessing it's going to be a personal choice. If you're not sick from it and drink plenty of water, I don't know that it's a bad thing. Have some fun :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Day before exercise = **** training
    Day of exercise = ridiculous DOMS for longer periods of time despite drinking lots of water

I still attempt to go by berkhan's article and go low fat, high protein and just make sure I'm active while drinking i.e. dance up a storm :tongue:

Has not hinder fat loss in the past but I can't think it would be good for muscle gain being that alcohol is metabolised first when your body could be rebuilding muscle tissue.

But one big day a week is not going to hinder progress a great deal IMO. I've switched a more of a moderation approach now though as I got a bit hectic in Thailand a few months back. Over the hangovers!

the hangovers do suck bro I agree...

just something about sitting on a the gulf of Mexico with a cold beer and some good music and friends makes the beers go down like water....LOL
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like to relax with a bourbon on the rocks in the evening but I never let it take me over my calorie goal. It must fit into my macros or I won't drink it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like to relax with a bourbon on the rocks in the evening but I never let it take me over my calorie goal. It must fit into my macros or I won't drink it.

i usually stop logging when I start drinking...LOL but I do try to fit it in ...problem is beer is serious empty calories...
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love a good beer and good wine. That said, the consequence of not wanting to get up early for the gym has really made me cut back a ton. I still enjoy a beer or two on the weekends but that is about as far as it goes.

As I posted that, I realized that my profile pic is currently from rooftop yoga, so it is my yoga mat with a beer on it. Such is life. Ha. Nothing better than outdoor yoga and beer simultaneously!
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to try to fit my drinks into my calories, but since my calories are so low already, I wouldn't eat much. Very little food+ LOTS of alcohol, and I would be blacked out every single time.

Now I just don't drink at all, or at least I do but only rarely. I am the kind of person that can't see the point in just having ONE drink (which will fit into my goals for the day) so I just had to learn to live without.

So, just depends on you as a person I guess.
  • zcheeze
    zcheeze Posts: 25
    Options
    This is a dilemma for me as well. I like to have a few drinks in the evening, be it wine, beer vodka, etc. I always enter them into my log...

They ARE empty calories, but I do enjoy it so. Lesson for me: exercise more to earn my evening relaxation. And yes, I do drink a ton of water, too!
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Live a little guys!

im getting a goon bag tonight and getting drunk!!
    im only 20 tho :P

i excersise or try to daily as long as ur fit i would think of it as a cheat day.
    u cant dedicate ur entire life and fun into this.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    To each their own on this but I cut out alcohol. I'm not a huge believer in drinking empty calories, drinking lead me to want to eat junk and I hate how I felt the next day. It's not an issue with me and I don't have a problem with social events and not drinking. People don't like it, I could care less. I don't need alcohol as a crutch to have fun!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Live a little guys!

i excersise or try to daily as long as ur fit i would think of it as a cheat day.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!

what is a goon bag?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Live a little guys!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!

what is a goon bag?

WOW! SRS?!?! Famous in oz. Young people get cheap as wine that comes in a cask and it is called goon. My friends and I used to play a game called goon of fortune when we had the old clothes line that spun around. A whole heap of people stand under the clothes line. Goon bag pegged up. Spin the clothes line round and round and whoever it lands on gets the "aerial assualt" :laugh: good times.

Another one was goon frisbee. Everyone has cups. Stands about 10m away from person with frisbee. People assume defensive position and aren't allowed to move. Person throws frisbee and if it hits them they have to drink and if it hits their drink they have to skull what's left. Dangerous but fun! haha (can be done with any drinks really but for ease of the game we made everyone drink the same thing and because most people hate goon :tongue:)

Oh and the anamoly to my first post is one of my best mates http://www.myfitnesspal.com/turbomuzz. He trains with me and some how has set all his pb's while seriously hungover from the night before. I think he is weird though :laugh:
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to do one month a year without drinking at all. I'm not a huge drinker, but I have an active social life, and drinking seems to be a part of most events. I usually try to limit drinking to once or twice a week or every two weeks, and when I drink, I try to avoid sugary drinks, although they have some pretty amazing mixologist style cocktails in this city, so you just have to splurge occasionally. Fitting in a little drinking hasn't derailed my diet and fitness goals. I usually go dancing, so that probably helps burn off some calories. My life can get pretty stressful, and I think it's good for me to let myself have some fun.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Live a little guys!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!

what is a goon bag?

WOW! SRS?!?! Famous in oz. Young people get cheap as wine that comes in a cask and it is called goon. My friends and I used to play a game called goon of fortune when we had the old clothes line that spun around. A whole heap of people stand under the clothes line. Goon bag pegged up. Spin the clothes line round and round and whoever it lands on gets the "aerial assualt" :laugh: good times.

Another one was goon frisbee. Everyone has cups. Stands about 10m away from person with frisbee. People assume defensive position and aren't allowed to move. Person throws frisbee and if it hits them they have to drink and if it hits their drink they have to skull what's left. Dangerous but fun! haha (can be done with any drinks really but for ease of the game we made everyone drink the same thing and because most people hate goon :tongue:)

Oh and the anamoly to my first post is one of my best mates http://www.myfitnesspal.com/turbomuzz. He trains with me and some how has set all his pb's while seriously hungover from the night before. I think he is weird though :laugh:

na, we do not have that in the states ..LOL

It sounds fun though ..

Maybe I will have to introduce it!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Down 100 pounds and more........drink when I want to.......work out all the time.....don't pig put when I am drunk.

Depends on your goals and if you want to live the rest of your life without a drink of alcohol.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    haha ur oviously not from aussie, and if u are u live under a rock.
    its um a cask of wine?

hahaha
    Live a little guys!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!

what is a goon bag?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    haha ur oviously not from aussie, and if u are u live under a rock.
    its um a cask of wine?

hahaha
    Live a little guys!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!

what is a goon bag?

not an aussie LOL
  • missshoes07
    missshoes07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drink or not to drink...I can relate :) I looked at my alcohol like my food. Start finding stuff that you like that's low in calories and such. Soooo no more Rum and Coke (oh me!) and started drinking Bombay and Sprite zero. Yum. An ounce is only 70 calories. As a treat, I can fit a glass or two into my food "budget" with out feeling guilty. Do I do this every day? No. Do I do this on my work out days? No, but like you said GOM and a beer: yes they sure do go down like water. Moderation is always the key. Generally, I drink less now b/c lots of happy hours equals weight gain. Unfortunately.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Drink or not to drink...I can relate :) I looked at my alcohol like my food. Start finding stuff that you like that's low in calories and such. Soooo no more Rum and Coke (oh me!) and started drinking Bombay and Sprite zero. Yum. An ounce is only 70 calories. As a treat, I can fit a glass or two into my food "budget" with out feeling guilty. Do I do this every day? No. Do I do this on my work out days? No, but like you said GOM and a beer: yes they sure do go down like water. Moderation is always the key. Generally, I drink less now b/c lots of happy hours equals weight gain. Unfortunately.

are you in florida?

I find that vodka is good ..about 70 cals an ounce...problem is four of those and I am on my as$ and not the best beach drink ...
  • chrisdavey
    Options

are you in florida?

I find that vodka is good ..about 70 cals an ounce...problem is four of those and I am on my as$ and not the best beach drink ...

I wish I was like that. If I am having a big one, I'd say 10ish is about my normal. I've had months off alcohol all together and still first time drinking again and I'm still pretty pissfit. Hence why the moderation this is now in effect :) I'm just sticking to my red wine these days. You know for the antioxidants and stuff :tongue:

Depending on the person I think totally abstaining from alcohol can be a good or a bad thing. It's like cutting out a certain food group. Take it out and instantly it becomes a "cheat" and you want it even more.

And yeah, you should definitely give em a go. No one around here has the oldschool hills hoist clothes lines so no more goon of fortune.