Plateau

Options
I'm at a plateau. But this week, I went UP! That's right, up, and only thing different is I zig-zagged my salt intake (always staying within 200-300 below), and really didn't do much exercise really. Not sure why it went up.

And I lost like 0.2 inches off my thigh, but nowhere else. Not sure what to do at this point, because lately I don't feel like I have the energy for exercising. Did my BMR drop in a week from not exercising? That's what I'm wondering.

Any tips on how to reverse this plateau and kick it into high gear again so I can start losing inches AND pounds again? Thank you :)

(I'm 5'8" and 131.2 now, but my lowest weight is 124, and that's my goal weight now. I eat 1500 calories a day and that's how it's been for the past few weeks or so.)

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    bump bump bumpity bump :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always go up 2 lbs or so at some point. It can be water retention, stuck poop, anything really lol.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Loooool thank you but normally my weight doesn't go up even after not having used the restroom..
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Help please? Lol
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'll be much help. But let me try... :smile:

I was at a plateau too for a while...in fact, I think I'm still at a plateau. I haven't been able to get under 125 in over a month! My weight keeps fluctuating between 125.8-128. Then I added a few more calories to my 1250 and suddenly I was losing again! I read on a different post that several other individuals have increased their calorie intake and found that it helped them lose weight.

I'm not sure if that will help...you could give it a try though. I added running into my schedule recently and I'm noticing a gain. My weight went down after a couple days but it's creeping back up... I won't be able to help much with the whole exercising...

Good luck though! Hope someone can help you out!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    not sure how old you are, but plateaus happen more when you're old like me. I just broke a 2-year plateau by going cold turkey on sweeteners - regular sugar and artificial, plus no alcohol. My biggest meal of the day is lunch and I eat as little food with flour as possible. When I miss sweet taste I have fruit. SO HAPPY TO HAVE FINALLY LOST JUST THREE POUNDS! with no extra exercise, and maintaining 1600 cals/day which is my TDEE.

When will scientists will find out that all sweeteners change the body's metabolism, not just the ones in which calories can be calculated. It's true in my body.

The book that changed my life was "Sugar Blues" an oldy but goody by William Dufty.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Hm well I used to eat 1450, but then I upped it to 1500 a few weeks ago, and I saw a small loss, but nothing significant. Maybe I should up my calories AGAIN and just workout more? And oh I'm still growing-I'm 18.

Thanks for the responses by the way :) Your help is truly appreciated.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was like that recently at the plateau stage again. But in the last two weeks, I've seen up to 5 pounds off since I started eating more fruits and vegetables in my diet. I split my meals into four a day. And am on a 1200 cal diet. Though go over sometimes since I work on a farm and horseback ride a lot along with my regular exercise.
  • alexsandstrom1982
    Options
    If you think you have hit a "plateau," remember they are temporary roadblocks. Just keep moving forward with your new healthy lifestyle, keep focused on your why, and you will break through.
    It is important to follow a regular eating schedule. First, it keeps your blood sugar stable instead of peaking and crashing, which can lead to overeating and a general poor feeling. Second, regular meals will speed up your metabolism by challenging it to keep processing calories, rather than sharing them in a game of "feast or famine.
    Drink two glasses of water when you wake up. Fluids are crucial for heart function and for maintaining healthy blood pressure. The body needs hydration to transport carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and oxygen to the cells. Plus, water lubricates muscles and joints to keep them in healthy working order
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice!!

I will definitely drink water when I get up first thing in the morning, and as far lowering it to 1200? I don't know about that. My BMR is 1469(ish) and my activity level is now more sedentary because I haven't exercised in the past week (normally it's lightly active).
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I will definitely drink water when I get up first thing in the morning, and as far lowering it to 1200? I don't know about that. My BMR is 1469(ish) and my activity level is now more sedentary because I haven't exercised in the past week (normally it's lightly active).

Well as far as the count, it's more on what you are eating to add up those cals. I'm not saying go by a lower count since everyone's bodies are different. If your cooking your own food and have time to make your own meals, you'll find it easier to keep control on what your intake is on something healthy.

It's like comparing a filling candy bar or nutrition bar vs. having a banana or an apple. You'd be better of with the product that wasn't manufactured that has many ingredients that you wouldn't be able to identify without looking them up. When I shop for my food I look at what I'm getting if it is in a box or a bag.

Generally, I do by rule of thumb and what it will provide my body with. But nothing wrong with a cookie here and there. I'm still working on controlling the every once and a while wanting that. lol.

It's hard to not just sit down with my family and have what they are having when I know I can make something that is a better choice for me.

All in all, how the count adds up at the end of the days isn't what matters, it's what it is made up off. A healthier choice will help see better results faster.
    Hope I helped a bit. :)
  • onedayatatime12
    Options

Well as far as the count, it's more on what you are eating to add up those cals. I'm not saying go by a lower count since everyone's bodies are different. If your cooking your own food and have time to make your own meals, you'll find it easier to keep control on what your intake is on something healthy.

It's like comparing a filling candy bar or nutrition bar vs. having a banana or an apple. You'd be better of with the product that wasn't manufactured that has many ingredients that you wouldn't be able to identify without looking them up. When I shop for my food I look at what I'm getting if it is in a box or a bag.

Generally, I do by rule of thumb and what it will provide my body with. But nothing wrong with a cookie here and there. I'm still working on controlling the every once and a while wanting that. lol.

It's hard to not just sit down with my family and have what they are having when I know I can make something that is a better choice for me.

All in all, how the count adds up at the end of the days isn't what matters, it's what it is made up off. A healthier choice will help see better results faster.
    Hope I helped a bit. :)

Thank you and yes you did help very much! :)

See the thing is I've been doing clean eating since the start of my new lifestyle, and I've seen results- but it's stopped now. Every once in a while (two-three weeks) I'll have a 'splurge meal' (from McD's or Subway) because it's processed, and I've heard that it'll get my metabolism out of the rut of eating healthy all the time. So not too sure what to do at this point because I really don't particularly take to the taste of processed food now that I'm used to clean foods, and I don't know what else can help me get over this darn plateau! ;P
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You're 18 and your profile says you were last at 124 in high school? Have you considered that your body may have undergone a late growth spurt between then and now? You're already at a healthy weight for your height. It may be time to look into more body recmposition rather than weight loss.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You're 18 and your profile says you were last at 124 in high school? Have you considered that your body may have undergone a late growth spurt between then and now? You're already at a healthy weight for your height. It may be time to look into more body recmposition rather than weight loss.

This
  • onedayatatime12
    Options

I had a huge growth spurt when I was fifteen, and I know that I had a lower BF% at 124, which was not even two years ago. That's what I'm trying to attain- the healthier body composition but at 124 lbs like I was able to be earlier.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Increase or decrease my calories? Can my BMR reduce in one week of not having any exercise?
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Aghh bump :P need to know the answer to the above question pleaseee!
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the replies, but my suggestion is to make sure your calorie counting is 100% accurate. I just bought a food scale and it really changed my perception of food measurements. Even packages can be way off from the actual weight of the product. That combined with overestimating your exercise calories (as there's no way to know for sure) can easily add up to a few hundred calories and stall your weight loss. If you don't have a food scale, i suggest getting one. And being a hundred percent accurate in your logging every day.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    I do use measuring cups for everything and I can say for sure, that my calorie counting is accurate! I just don't know why I would have gained ANY weight because I was always under my TDEE for sure, even if I was over my BMR.