Vitamins and Iron

Options
I am very low on the amount of iron I get in my diet,and I often feel dizzy and irritable. I want to up my iron intake, but I know too much iron can be a bad thing. I got a multi vitamin for women, and it has your full recommended dose of iron in one pill (18 mg) ,among all the other vitamins. But I already eat SOME iron throughout the day. Should I cut my multi vitamin in half maybe? I know it seems fussy over something like this, but I really just want the best health option and to feel better.

Does anyone have any input?

**If anyone wants/cares to check, I have iron pulled up in my diary so you can see how much I was getting without a multi vitamin.

Replies

• hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am a low anemic person I take 65mg of iron and a 18mg of iron in my vitamin as well and my doctor says it won't harm me at all.. If you feel its because you don't have enough iron that your getting dizzy and irritable then you would need to up it, not lower it. I mean speak to your doctor. Iron honestly is only bad for you if you take a HUGE amount like 100 or more and you have no iron issues.. So I would recommend speaking to your doctor :)

Oh misunderstood. No your fine at taking the 18mg of iron vitamin and eating iron through the day. Like I said you would only do harm if you were 100mg or more. ( unless your doctor has instructed you this is okay to do 100 or more) :)