decreasing appetite

Options
So the further I get into this, the harder it is to eat enough... does anyone else have this problem? I've always had nooo problem eating lol but now its getting harder and harder just finishing dinner :p My appetite is decreasing, I'm not even wanting snacks in between meals :p Exercise days are killer, I used to look forward to them because, well, I got to eat more food haha, but now I can't eat enough to eat back the cals from it :p I've NEVER had a problem with not wanting to eat before haha

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Try more calorie dense foods.

Full fat cheese, yogurt and milk are very good for you. (Yay calcium!) You could have a little dark chocolate here and there. Larger servings of meat and slightly smaller servings of vegetables might also help.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cheese, and milk are a big part of my diet lol, some of my favorite foods ;) I do need to get some dark chocolate, I just have to watch my blood pressure on it :p I just don't understand why its decreasing?
  • Paulapatricia2011
    Paulapatricia2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too have noticed a decrease in my appetite but I am definitely not complaining! I always had a healthy appetite but I think the reason is a cross between my making a real effort to lose some weight and the conscience issues when I eat the healthy calories. Like I have been home aching to have a mini muffin or a drink but resisting because tomorrow is my weigh in and I don't want it on my mind if I don't see a reduction on the scale!
    My recommendation is to ensure that what you do eat is packed with healthy calories so your nutrition doesn't suffer...that is my plan. Good luck!
  • Paulapatricia2011
    Paulapatricia2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Correction.... "the conscience issues when I DON'T I eat the healthy calories.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Me. my appetite has decreased drastically. I used to average double my maintenance. Now I feel stuffed most days on my cals without the help of any high volume foods.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    cake and cookies and oh yeah, ice cream! hahahaa....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    get food, put in mouth. Keep going until you hit your targets. Easy.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There is a reason for this.

Your hunger-regulating hormone is called leptin and it is produced in proportion to how much you eat. If you eat more, your body produces more leptin and makes you feel more hungry. Eat less, your body produces less leptin and causes you to feel less hungry. This is how you get anorexics eating 800 calories a day and saying they feel full, even if they are starving, or how you have a lot of people here saying they feel full on 1200 and it being far too low a number for them.

Figure out your TDEE with an online calculator and subtract 20%, and that's your calorie goal to lose weight.

Eat that amount.

Your leptin levels will shortly match your intake if you listen to science rather than your body's mixed signals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When restricting calories, your hormones get out of whack which decreases appetite (ghrelin and leptin hormones). Just eat more calorie dense foods - nuts and seeds (and butters), do not use low fat items, cook with and use oils and butters, eat avocados and full fat dairy. Have a bowl of ice cream.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Me. my appetite has decreased drastically. I used to average double my maintenance. Now I feel stuffed most days on my cals without the help of any high volume foods.

this
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    1. your stretched out stomachs are shrinking back to normal
    2. your mental comprehension between hunger and boredom is getttig rewired
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    What they said about hormones and leptin . . . throw in a lack of blood sugar spikes and crashes if you're eating lower carbs.

Solution - NUTS! Super high calorie food, but in a good way. I almost never come in so low a handful of cashews won't fix the problem. (I also eat Twizzlers, but don't do that.)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question and was told I had an eating disorder.. don't waste your time.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Your stomach must be getting smaller. The less you eat, the smaller your stomach gets, thus you're not capable of eating as much as you once were.
    Are you eating a lot of protein? Protein will keep you fuller, longer. Same goes for fiber.
    Leptin is the appetite controlling hormone, and the levels of it are most affected by decreasing the amount you consume, as opposed to increasing.

You should definitely attempt to eat more if you're getting to the point where this is causing you to not eat enough. LOW low calorie diets, and fasting, has been shown to lower Leptin levels, and the absence of Leptin leads to high appetite and, in turn, uncontrolled eating.
    Studies have shown that obese people terms to have low Leptin, thus no appetite suppression causing them to overeat a lot...and a good way to drop Leptin is by not eating enough, so be careful.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I find this too!Its not that Im less hungry but when Ive earned 900 cals after cycling 12 miles and Im told I can have 2500 odd cals for the day I cant manage that,I still eat plenty I just find after 1600cals I dont need anymore1!!!
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Your hunger-regulating hormone is called leptin and it is produced in proportion to how much you eat. If you eat more, your body produces more leptin and makes you feel more hungry. Eat less, your body produces less leptin and causes you to feel less hungry. This is how you get anorexics eating 800 calories a day and saying they feel full, even if they are starving, or how you have a lot of people here saying they feel full on 1200 and it being far too low a number for them.

Figure out your TDEE with an online calculator and subtract 20%, and that's your calorie goal to lose weight.

Eat that amount.

Your leptin levels will shortly match your intake if you listen to science rather than your body's mixed signals.

It's my understanding that less Leptin = less appetite suppression, thus more eating. I believe your post is backwards?
    Go to Webmd's page on Leptin and you will see that.
    Leptin is actually, technically, your starvation hormone. Everyone is born with a certain amount, and if you diet and eat too little/lose a lot of weight quickly and your levels drop, your Leptin tells your body that you're starving.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Eat that amount.

It's my understanding that less Leptin = less appetite suppression, thus more eating. I believe your post is backwards?
    Go to Webmd's page on Leptin and you will see that.
    Leptin is actually, technically, your starvation hormone. Everyone is born with a certain amount, and if you diet and eat too little/lose a lot of weight quickly and your levels drop, your Leptin tells your body that you're starving.

You are correct. Leptin decreases in an energy deficit. Ghrelin also comes into play with appetite.