Egg beaters vs (manual) egg whites

Options
jolt28
jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
Any difference other than the color between packaged egg beaters and eggs that you separate yourself?

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Edited my previous post- Egg Beaters EGG WHITES do not list anything on the label BUT egg whites
    (I have a carton in my fridge)

There is sodium listed on the label, but same am't listed on the carton of eggs in the same fridge...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Cost. (it's actually cheaper to throw out the yolk).

I'm pretty sure egg beaters are pasteurized as well (not that this matters if you're cooking them anyway).
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients.

INGREDIENTS: EGG BEATERS (egg whites (99%), less than 1% of vegetable gums (xanthan gum, guar gum), color (includes beta carotene), salt, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, onion powder, natural flavor, spices), LIQUID SHORTENING (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene, TBHQ and Citric Acid, dimethylpolysiloxane, an Anti-Foaming Agented Added.)

So, less than 1% of egg beaters is made up of things to make it last longer and improve the taste.

From a practical point of view, they seem the same.
    Options
    Cost. (it's actually cheaper to throw out the yolk).

I'm pretty sure egg beaters are pasteurized as well (not that this matters if you're cooking them anyway).

They make powdered egg whites- which is cheaper still.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters (and other pre-packaged egg white substitutes) taste awful to me. I guess it is because of all the weird ingredients listed above, but I won't waste my money on them.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients.

INGREDIENTS: EGG BEATERS (egg whites (99%), less than 1% of vegetable gums (xanthan gum, guar gum), color (includes beta carotene), salt, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, onion powder, natural flavor, spices), LIQUID SHORTENING (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene, TBHQ and Citric Acid, dimethylpolysiloxane, an Anti-Foaming Agented Added.)

So, less than 1% of egg beaters is made up of things to make it last longer and improve the taste.

Ew!!! That's trans fats! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients.

Maybe it's just *me* but I like Egg Beaters BETTER, but that's because I have had TOO many incidents w/
    egg shells in my eggs, or opening bloody ones,
    and I REALLY don't like the *umbilical cord* I find in some of them.....Now that's EW!!! +o( sick
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters ingredients.

Maybe it's just *me* but I like Egg Beaters BETTER, but that's because I have had TOO many incidents w/
    egg shells in my eggs, or opening bloody ones,
    and I REALLY don't like the *umbilical cord* I find in some of them.....Now that's EW!!! +o( sick

I have never opened a bloody egg. As for umbilical cord, I think I know what you mean, I think those are in all eggs. They seem to be in every one I open. It doesn't bother me. Occasionally I will get egg shells in my eggs. I prefer the egg whites I do by hand. The ones in the carton kind of gross me out, but they taste fine.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I found that Egg beaters have a different taste and not to mention are slightly higher in calories than real egg whites.

A tip on how to prevent egg shells in your egg whites: crack the egg on the flat surface rather than the edge of the bowl or counter. It helps in creating a straight crack rather than a jagged one. A straight crack also helps in preventing the yolk from breaking when separating the yolk from the egg white.