Balancing it all - how do you manage time?

Options
ppdes
ppdes Posts: 83 Member
Hi!

Till almost 2 months back, fitness was low on my priority. Mainly because of two reasons: I work in an industry with long work hours at times and deadlines. So the schedule gets erratic around deadlines. Secondly, I am a vegetarian and live in a country where packaged veg food is hard to get , so my meals are 80% home-cooked daily.
Both these things take up majority of my daily time.
I cook fresh meal every day. I doubt that cooking weekly meals in advance will ever happen since I grew up in a place where only fresh-cooked meals are considered wholesome and so its not easy for me to get out of that mindset ...

Basically I feel I am struggling to stick to my work-out schedule . I guess there are many people out here who have extremely hectic lives and have children/ elderly to care for too... so can you all share your tips - how do you manage time and accommodate even exercising through your commitments?

Replies

• OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Mix it in when I can.
    If I have extra time I walk to the next bus stop.
    Depending on where you work you can get a quick one minute work out every so often.

I also don't really worry about it too much until my day's off. On days that I'm working sometimes I don't even got time for eating, so...I know it sounds a bit lazy, but I only worry about getting exercise on my days off, because those are usually the days I go over 1,200.

You've got to prioritize. Figure out what's important and make time for it.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have 8 children, homeschool them, and run a farm. Our time is limited as well. I do as much prep work before a meal as possible. If something can be frozen I freeze it. I pair my workouts with reading (if you have work related manuals or something you could read those while riding a stationary bike or something). Mostly I had to eliminate things that took up time that were not helping me achieve my goals.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You just prioritize and make the time! I hate to be the bad guy, but I find it funny that people don't have time for anything, unless it is something they "want" to do. Then, they have all the time in the world! Figure out what is most important to you, than make the time for the things at the top of that list!

Many people will say, "but I won't see my family"!

I say, better to lose an hour a day now to gain a few years down the road!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to figure out what works best for you, not how others manage to do it. I have 4 kids. I like to workout during naptime, but naptime doesn't always happen anymore. I had to rearrange what worked till I found something else that did. Life isn't going to quit happening. There will always be excuses as to why you couldn't find the time. You just have to make the time for the things that matter to you OP.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    weight training. full body training 2-3 x a week. i do 3 days they take between 20 and 45 mins. the extra time is the heavier day
    and i need more time to figure out which plates to put on and extra rest between sets.

if you can. having your equipment at home is best, then you can workout when you have time, without worrying about gym hours or other members.

ETA: previous to this when i was trying to lose weight i thought i needed hours of cardio, often over an hour a day.
    but now i'm minimizing cardio, and if I don't have very much time, my priority is the lifting, combined with a calorie deficit, i'm still losing inches.
    i make fresh meals everyday day too. my suggestion is to use a crockpot often.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Vegetarian working 70+ hours a week on nightshift in rural Arkansas. I find that you will never find the time, you have to make it. I only have two or three hours off a day, but I get in my Insanity daily and usually make something relatively quick (pan seared tofu with sauteed veggies, spinach salad with nuts, etc.). The short of it is, you will find that you have time to do the things that are important to you. Just make sure your health is on that list.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I guess, I just needed to vent out. Trying to be a disciplined person is so hard. Kudos to everyone who is managing... It wont happen overnight I guess. It needs to be a habit now.