New Vegetable recipe ideas

Options
Hello..................I am in search of some new vegetable recipes, but not the ordinary vegetables...................I am looking for some new exciting recipes from different countries...............................have any you would like to share?????

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but I have a great new vegetable: jicama! It's kind of a bulb or root or something. It's crunchy and mild and a little sweet. It's a wonderful surprise in salads and in a stir fry it has the crunch of a water chestnut but a nicer flavor.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I have tried Jicama and just love it................my friend is Filipino and has introduced me to some quite interesting things...........lol!
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Here is one:
    Yams with Ginger and Dried Apricots Recipe

Apricots are quite delicious with yams. Leave the ginger in big pieces and pull it out later, or finely chop it and leave it with the yams, as you wish.
    Ingredients:
    1 large yam (12 to 16 ounces)
    6 dried apricots, cut in quarters
    1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, left in large pieces or finely diced
    1-1/2 cups water
    Directions
    If the skin on the yam looks firm and smooth, scrub the yam. Otherwise, peel it.
    Cut the yam into rounds slightly less than 1/2-inch thick, and cut each round into quarters, or sixths if it is very large.
    Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan, cover with 1-1/2 cups water, bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 1/2 hour. Check the pan and add more water, in small increments if necessary, until the yams are completely cooked, another 20 minutes or so. Allow whatever liquid is left to boil down until a small amount of sauce is left. Pile into a bowl and serve.
    Variation: Whip the yam-apricot mixture briefly in a food processor to make a puree.
    Recipe yields 3 cups Yams with Ginger and Dried Apricots.
    Nutritional facts per 1-cup serving:
    173 calories
    0.3g total fat
    0.1g saturated fat
    0mg cholesterol

To your health
    Dounia
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    If you want to enhance just about any savory food, cook it in "salsa"! It is low in fat and calories. Choose one low in sodium and sugar. Plus the heat increases your metabolism. Any salsa mix works. I buy organic (or make your own). I just made Tilapia roasted in salsa (Trader Joes Organic) and then poured the juces on steamed Broccoli. YUM!
  • dbmom
    dbmom Posts: 16
    Options
    I use Lotus Root in place of chips. I find it here where I live in Asian grocery stores. It comes slice...or if you buy it whole...slice.
    I put a dash of Olive Oli, any seasoning...use sea salt & ground black pepper to start....a splash of lemon juice (to keep the color), place on cookie sheet an bake......taste test for crispness...not sure about exact calorie...I know its low
  • I love e roasted celariac, parsnip, sweet potatoes, beetroot, fennel and red onion.

Just peel and slice into big chunks. put in a roasting bah to keep your oven clean ( I hate cleaning unnecessarily) and put 2 teaspoons low fat olive oil. balsamic vinegar nd honey in a cup - mix well and poor into veg bag. shake around so all lightly covered and roast for 45 mins in moderate oven. I freeze half and if you have about a quarter of a plate that's a good portion.

yummy
  • i have never heard of Lotus root but will look into this. I am not vegetarian at all but truly love vegetables. Thanks for suggestion
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Thanks everyone:bigsmile:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I found this:

These are the tastiest chips we’ve ever eaten. Use them to garnish your biryani at a dinner party.

Lotus root (nadur in Kashmiri/bhein in Punjabi/kamal kakri in Hindi) is available quite easily in Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese stores. Look for smooth skin, orange-pink in colour, and an evenly cylindrical shape. The older the lotus root, the more fibrous it gets.

Peel the lotus root. Cut it into thin discs (1/8 inch thick) using a mandoline or sharp knife. Soak it in a mixture of water plus a couple teaspoons lemon juice for a few minutes. Pat it dry.

Preheat the oven to 450 F and put a pot of water to boil.

When the water comes to a boil, salt it and drop the discs in. Switch off the flame after four minutes. Put the discs on a tea towel to drain and place another tea towel on top.

Alternate method: String the chips along two bamboo skewers placed across a microwave safe container.

LIKE THIS.

Microwave them on high for 2 minutes, then bake.

Boiling them cooks them more evenly, but microwaving them makes them less starchy and sticky. Your choice.

As they are drying, put 2 tablespoons oil on an UNLINED baking sheet. A baking sheet should take 25-30 discs.

Add some salt and cayenne (chilli powder) to the oil, mix it together.

Add the lotus root discs to the oil mix and gently coat them. Spread them on the sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, turning them once midway.

The tastiest ones, we found, are crisp on the outside and slightly chewy inside. So try not to cut them paper thin, or to dry them out completely while baking.

Lotus root is an amazing, under-utilised veggie. Half a cup of boiled lotus root, has 40 calories, no fat, 7% per cent of daily fibre requirements, and 27% of the daily requirement of vitamin C. Plus, it is very versatile, and can be used in lieu of the potato in many dishes.
  • katrinabenjamin
    katrinabenjamin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recent finds is baked kale chips. Easy to prepare, packed in nutrients and taste great too!

Wash and dry one bunch of kale.
    Tear leaves from stems (discard stems)
    Arrange on a baking sheet and spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt
    Bake for 10 minutes in 375 to 400 degree oven
    "chips" will come out crisp and should be eaten immediately

Enjoy!
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I made a recipe from Aarti Sequeira (Next Food Network Star winner) new show. It was quick, easy and really good, everyone liked it (even my mother, who is really picky).

Kale and Mango Salad

1 bunch Kale, raw, chopped (about 4 cups)
    Juice from 1 lemon (about 2 oz)
    1 fresh mango, diced (about 1 cup)
    1/4C extra virgin olive oil
    1tbsp honey
    2tbsp toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

In a large bowl, place the kale and half the lemon juice. Gently massage (toss with your hand) the kale for 2 minutes. This helps wilt the kale a little. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining lemon juice and the honey. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the kale, add the mango and pepitas. Toss lightly.

It was really good as a side for dinner and even better the next day.