Keep gaining weight despite counting calories?

Options
I have been gaining weight despite counting my calories and keeping it around 1400-1600 kcal everyday. I weight 75 kg on average right now, 170 tall.
Previously i have managed to lost 10kg in 7 months but gained all back in 3months because i went overseas and "let go".... i regretted that alot, and now i started a office job and find that i dont have time for exercise, beside i'm working even on sunday.. Previously i didn't exercise as well, i just lay in bed whole day during the holidays.. but i only ate 2 meals which sometimes consist of BAD food... maybe it was due to IBS.

Now i find it very hard to lose weight, i have been counting calories & trying to eat healthy.. but i step on the scale today and got up to 78kg omg!!

Anyone could advise me why is this happening?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    open food diary allows for more analysis.

Are you really eating 1400-1600 a day, or would CCTV and private investigators tailing you come up with a different number - ie are you a Secret Eater ?

try to stand up as much as possible and move around at work, non-exercise activity is an important part of what we burn calorie-wise.
  • LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping track of your sodium intake? That can cause an increase in weight due to water retention.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Why not adopt the same methods you used before you 'let go' - when you lost 10kgs?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone can fit 30 minutes exercise into their day. You can exercise at home, you don't have to get to a gym.
  • krisswieringa
    krisswieringa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having similar issues. I walk or run about 4-5 miles per day and MFP says to lose 1 lb a week I should be getting 1500 calories for my current height and weight (6'0'' and 174). BUt have not lost anything since May 22. Very frustrating!
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Are you taking and long term medication?
    Also a trip to a GP may help and a basic blood test to flag up any thyroid problems etc
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    oooooo and how old are you?
    i'm 36 and am now peri-menopausal as i'm ticking all the boxes. It means weight loss is so much harder.
  • temptations
    temptations Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for their answer. i am only 21 years old this year. and previously lost weight on IBS (irritable bowel system) which isnt healthy at all.. i do not cheat on my calories, i am sure i only ate within 1400-1600... and i drank loads of water due to working in an air-con office.... maybe i changed my diet, i changed from eating 2 meals to 3 meals. but it dont make sense as the 2 meals consists of more calories than my 3 meals... i will continue to observe, as long as i dont continue to gain weight...
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your measurements? If not, I'd start doing that now! Many times the scale wont reflect what you want to see, but a measurement tape/the way your clothes fit will tell a different story.
  • Fugeela
    Fugeela Posts: 96
    Options
    What is your diet like?
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i regretted that alot, and now i started a office job and find that i dont have time for exercise, beside i'm working even on sunday.. Previously i didn't exercise as well,

Stop making excuses for yourself. I work 40 hrs a week at a desk job, never exercised before, and 2 kids. I lost about 50lbs in 4 months.

You have time for exercise MAKE time. Don't watch that one episode of tv or get your *kitten* out of bed earlier. Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. Diet does.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Are you properly weighing all foods and measuring all liquids or eyeballing/guessing portions and sizes? If you aren't weighing food and measuring liquids your counts will be wrong.

Are you counting EVERYTHING? Cream/sugar in coffee/tea... mayo on a sandwich, oil used when cooking etc etc.

Get some exercise in. Sure you say you don't have the time... how much TV do you watch? How much relaxing do you do? Etc etc... if you want something bad enough you stop making excuses and make it work.

Are you keeping a food log? Tracking everything you eat?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you're weighing/measuring everything and doing it right, I'd look at what you think you're consuming and then add about 20% more to better reflect actual calorie consumption.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    i regretted that alot, and now i started a office job and find that i dont have time for exercise, beside i'm working even on sunday.. Previously i didn't exercise as well,

Stop making excuses for yourself. I work 40 hrs a week at a desk job, never exercised before, and 2 kids. I lost about 50lbs in 4 months.

You have time for exercise MAKE time. Don't watch that one episode of tv or get your *kitten* out of bed earlier. Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. Diet does.

You don't have to give up one minute of tv. If you learn how to power walk. You can instead of sitting down to watch tv power walk through your favorite shows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IH12Piuf4

I did that all winter long and into the icky spring weather we had in April. It kept me on track as far as cardio goes.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Are you properly weighing all foods and measuring all liquids or eyeballing/guessing portions and sizes? If you aren't weighing food and measuring liquids your counts will be wrong.

Are you counting EVERYTHING? Cream/sugar in coffee/tea... mayo on a sandwich, oil used when cooking etc etc.

I'm seconding this. It's worth spot-checking food labels, too. I bought a loaf of bread once that gave calorie counts for a 44 g slice, but the actual slices were more like 50 g each--almost 15% more calories per slice. Little errors like that can add up over time.