Safe weight loss after delivery

Options
So I'm new on here, and just wondering what I should set my timeline for weight loss. I just had a beautiful baby boy on July 26th! Since then I have lost 48lbs.
I gained 100 pounds when I was pregnant. I'm 5'9" and I went from 160lbs to 260lbs. I retained alot of water and had very bad swelling in my legs, feet and hands. So the first 50 lbs shed quickly probably because of that. So now that it has been almost three weeks since having my son, I'm wondering how quickly I should set my goals for losing the rest. I'm hoping to lose more than 1lb a week.
Is there any new mothers on here who can share their story on how quickly they lost the baby weight? Or how much I should set my goal to lose per week/month?
Thanks!!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby boy!!!! You should aim to get some exercise everyday (30 minutes) and eat alot of healthy foods( fruits and veggies).
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby! :)

I like the saying 9 months up and 9 months down. But, for lots of people it takes a year to get the baby wieght off.

Are you nursing? If so, try not to restirct your calorie intake just eat good for you things.

After my first child, I had a hard time taking off any weight because the transistion from full time worker to full time mom was hard for me and I ate a lot of junk in hopes of dealing with it. After my second, the weight came off easy... I was nursing, used to being a mom, and just ate good for me food and skipped the junk.

You're going to be tired with a new baby and all... so don't be too hard on yourself. Just stick to eating the good stuff and try to get out for walks as much as you can. Enjoy your snuggly time with your son... they get big fast. And Congrats again!!!
  • skydivinwoo
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you shouldn't lose anymore than a pound a week until the baby is at least 3 months old. It will affect your milk supply. If you aren't breastfeeding than I would lose what you are comfortable with. I just started losing weight from having my daughter. She is 11 months old and I am still breastfeeding. I have lost almost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.
    Good luck.
  • hamer007
    hamer007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not nursing due to a weird allergic reaction (hives everywhere). So I'm hoping to lose weight a little quicker than if I was. I'm not going to extreme with working out because t's only been 2 and a half weeks since I delivered. I have been just walking at least 30 min every night with the baby and dog, and trying to eat better. So I'm hoping that helps lot!
    Thanks for your stories and support!