Sugar from fruit

Options
I have started eating pineapple and cherries etc as snacks but they take all my sugar allowance, do people ignore the sugar from them? I'm not worried about it just a bit confused on what to do.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within your other targets (calories, protein etc)? If yes, and you're not diabetic, don't worry about it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The only reason to worry is if you're diabetic or if all your fruit and veg portions for the day are fruit. Otherwise don't worry.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Don't bother tracking sugar form fruit unless you have a specific medical condition. Just meet your macros.
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat fruits after 2pm as they are so high in sugar as you say. Pineapple is a high HI fruit and if you are trying to lose weight I would only eat this type of fruit 1-2 times per week. Low GI fruits such as berries, cherries, apples and pears might benefit you more. I would not worry too much about getting over your allowance but I would try to intake your fruits before lunch =)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Don't worry so much about the sugar content just don't overdo it. Try to have more veg than fruit in general though.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and feel better after adding fruit and eliminating fast food.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat fruits after 2pm as they are so high in sugar as you say. Pineapple is a high HI fruit and if you are trying to lose weight I would only eat this type of fruit 1-2 times per week. Low GI fruits such as berries, cherries, apples and pears might benefit you more. I would not worry too much about getting over your allowance but I would try to intake your fruits before lunch =)

Why? Unless you're diabetic why worry about the GI of a particular food?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

I eat fruit all day every day, sometimes right before bed, and it has not affected my weight loss. Whatever evidence is backing up statements like this apparently does not apply to everyone.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to restrict your eating of fruit to a certain time, and unless you have a medical condition that necessitates watching sugars no reason to restrict your sugar levels to MFP levels. MFP levels are set at the government recommendation for *added* sugars.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LOL the fruit was is on! I was just saying what works for me, too much carbs in evening slows down my weight loss (incl high GI fruits) BUT everyone is different!
  • norfolkbride1
    Options
    Thanks all, I am not diabetic and I am okay within everything else, sugar is the only thing I am over.

I m not keen on veggies I like my fruit instead of having chocolate :) but I shan't worry about fruit sugars then :)

Ta
  • GeraldWoodard
    Options
    Sugary fruits like watermelon, pineapple should be avoided by a diabetic person .People who suffer from diabetes love to eat sugary fruit but should restrain them self from eating.